• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

stick kick out?

When the bottom comes off the tree and sticks slides off the tree no longer set. A pain to get reset cuz it usually occurs when you are stepping off the stick climbing up to the next one. Usually happens when you have to much sag in the strap (Improperly set rope mods or daisy chains) or the versa button is too high on the stick for DIYs.

When you step onto the top step of your stick and the bottom standoff slips off the tree and the stick loses its original position causing a chance for your foot to slip off the stick and a certain crap of the pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at hunt level with my stick and a ring of steps. The sick kicked off and slid down the tree about 3 feet and stopped on an angle. It was a real pain to get down to it and fix it.

Because of this I switched to using a 30’ tether that I then can rappel down if need be.

Keep using those sticks and linesmen ropes without a girth hitch and you'll see how well gravity works, lol
But no need in the hidden vulgar language. If it aggravates you that much maybe you need to try another method. Nothing worth that

***.........has me rethinking this whole thing!!!!!!!!!
There are risks, and quite a few good threads in this forum to scroll and familiarize yourself with them. I saw a stick kick out on my buddy two weekends ago, thankfully close to ground... first time I’ve seen that. Personally I use buckle straps as tight as I can get them, not daisy chains, not ropes.

so... stick with the factory straps and I should be fine???? How do aiders. Swaiders, and Knaiders influence "Kick out?"

Mr Price...Sorry if I upset your delicate sensitivities.

@Jokerswild stick with factory attachment methods and you’ll minimize the risk to f kickout. Aiders and swaiders can kick on their own but can only effect the stick kicking out if they are hooked above the versa button.

so... stick with the factory straps and I should be fine???? How do aiders. Swaiders, and Knaiders influence "Kick out?"

Mr Price...Sorry if I upset your delicate sensitivities.

I use a single stick and am trying a daisy chain of amsteel but at the top I wratchet strap it to the tree before I start putting sideways pressure.

1) I find the manuf straps the worst for kickout. my safer/stronger set with amsteel/rope mod (I've been doing it for nearly a decade)
2) if your sticks are 'kicking out' they were not set correctly in the first place. (either you didn't have all 4 stand-offs against the trunk, or you didn't "set" the step by levering down.
3) a single step aider attached to the BOTTOM of the stick is one of the best ways to really set the stick well.

aider on stick.jpg

as you can sort of see here....the rope as it passes aroun the back of the tree is parallel to the ground and tight, but the rope as it passes the half of the trunk that faces you, bends down to the button. then you know its tight and wont kick. being able to get your body weight pulling straight down on the stick in the aider, helps.

So reviewing all this....
Some say factory gear is less likely to kick(makes sense)
Others say mods are safer????

It does make sense that adding an aider loop to the TOP of the stick would torque it into a KICK. Or this up for debate? Multiple step aiders even more likely to induce Kick?

So reviewing all this....
Some say factory gear is less likely to kick(makes sense)
Others say mods are safer????

It does make sense that adding an aider loop to the TOP of the stick would torque it into a KICK. Or this up for debate? Multiple step aiders even more likely to induce Kick?
I use a single Muddy Pro with a single strap aider and it sets the stick so tight I sometimes have a hard time getting the rope loose to advance it up the tree!!!!

I don’t worry about kick out climbing but had it happen at the top when using it as a platform. I now ratchet strap the stick to the tree at the top.

Back