• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sticks for large foot

bigjoe

Gents,

Just a quick question.

I am looking at the possibility of adding perhaps Helium’s or another stick to the arsenal.

My problem is my size 14 foot. I had lonewolf sticks several years back and gave them to a friends son. Great stick but not a whole lot of offset clearance between the boot and tree. From what I have read Muddy has about the same offset.

Do the Helium’s give you more clearance between the tree foot placement on the stick.

What I am thinking is presettjng trees with WildEdge stepps as a platform and using the sticks to climb with. If not, may just get another set of Wild Edge steps to climb and still do the presets

Thoughts?

I have size 12 boot and I use the lonewolf sticks and I wish they had more room. As far as the Helium sticks they look like they set a little farther away from the tree and the steps look a little longer. I was going to buy Muddy pro sticks but they seem to have a quality control problem. Think I'm going to buy the Helium.

Keep your eyes open for some Leverage Climbing Sticks. I've got some and because they angle out from the tree they give additional boot clearance...

leverage3_zpsq3w53tjt.jpg
634312.jpg

I have Leverage also but modded them with versa buttons. I let Red try them at Saddlepalooza he liked em he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have Leverage also but modded them with versa buttons. I let Red try them at Saddlepalooza he liked em he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They were light weight for sure. They are the 17” right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a set of 4 17" sticks that are in the process of being modded. A cam cleat and xop stand offs make it 2 pounds on the nose, would be a bit lighter with lone wolf stand offs. The xop stand offs paired with the angled step really create a lot of separation from the tree and they stack way better than the leverage stand offs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Did leverage go out of business or can you still get them I can't find anything about them, they seem like a good design though.

Did leverage go out of business or can you still get them I can't find anything about them, they seem like a good design though.

Yeah they went out of business. I thought I saw someone on the forum had some for sale in the classifieds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You guys had my hopes up. :coldsweat::coldsweat:

Thank you all.

I have looked online at the X Stand Mantis. They had questionable reviews and look to be two large.

I’m also in the same boat, size 13 foot and need clearance so I’m not climbing up 20’ on my toes and have to worry about slipping off with the slightest moisture.

Ordered a set of XOP sticks and while I like their design and how they set off the tree for clearance, they’re just too dang heavy to drag miles back. 14 lbs on my scale.

I’m between muddy pros and heliums now. But it looks like the helium will have more tree clearance with those bark biters and longer steps compared to the muddy pros.

Has anyone had experience comparing the two side by side? Or an opinion on which may be better for a 6’6” dude trying to scale trees?

Back