• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sticks vs spikes

TNhunter

So for the guys using climbing spikes is this your main method of climbing or do you still prefer other methods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No comparison!!!! If they are legal where you hunt, get some spurs and learn how to use them. I'm not opposed necessarily to any method. After all it's still part of the tree hunting process. But for me , it's a no brainer!!

X2 what huck stated!! I think if legal for you in your area spurs are probably the most versatile option for climbing. There has not been one tree i could not climb at this point.

Now sticks are definitely a more mainstream option over spurs and require really no learning curve however with weight and metal to metal contact between them this is where I feel they fall off from spurs.

I personally have only held onto my sticks as a back up option.

How is the comparison to weight between sticks and spurs/ repelling rope? It seem that everyone that uses spurs climbs up and repels down?

Besides I look at spurs like I do speeding it's only illegal if you get caught. lol I think spurs do a lot less damage to a tree than a climber.

I kinda agree. I've seen climber damage a hella lot more than what I did with spurs, even when I started.

I know I sound like a broken record but while my web aider is not as fast as spurs it does not penetrate the bark and is light and compact.

Im not sure on the weight difference because that depends on your spurs and type of rope and how much you carry. I have never weighed all mine but it feels lighter. The packability of the rope can't be argued. Spurs are less bulky then sticks and can be carried or strapped down like a bedroll or a jacket to your pack.

If you get the climbrights spurs are lighter and quicker (once you learn how to use them). You don't have to rappel down, but I find putting the spurs back on at hunting height tough. I don't have any problem climbing down with them when I'm setting up trees and leave them on.

Sticks have their place where you need to use a strap on method to climb.

Last season was my first year using spurs.

Let me echo what the others have said. If they are legal - Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuppppp. They are AWESOME.

I had never put on a gaff before in my life. I watched YouTube videos to learn the basics. Next I spent a few hours learning 18"-36" off the ground. Once I felt comfortable, I went up 10 feet. That scared the crap out of me. I almost gave up.

I did that routine a few more times and I became comfortable with the system.

Coming down with spurs is scarier than going up. I switched to rappelling down and I couldn't be more thrilled.

Man you guys are selling this hard which means I am about to spend some money. What are the best spurs to get along with what I need for rappelling down

Oh you're walking into a big storm with this one.

I bought the climb right aluminum spurs. I recommend you buy the lightest ones you can afford.

THEN take off those beautiful leather pads they come with and replace them with nylon webbing straps and buckles.

Spurs are the most efficient way to climb. I'd use them but almost everywhere I hunt is public. I don't mind breaking the speed limit in some forest land but in some smaller public tracts Its too many cops. LOL.

Man you guys are awful! Now I am wanting good Spurs. I hunt mostly private land and could use Spurs if I wanted. I have a set of heavy steel Spurs that came with an Andersons Sling I purchased on ebay. I tried them a few times but they kill my feet and ankles. Decided to stick with my sticks but now yall are making it hard. Am curious if I had different pads than the Klein leather pads if it would be better? Can't seem to get them tight..

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Man you guys are awful! Now I am wanting good Spurs. I hunt mostly private land and could use Spurs if I wanted. I have a set of heavy steel Spurs that came with an Andersons Sling I purchased on ebay. I tried them a few times but they kill my feet and ankles. Decided to stick with my sticks but now yall are making it hard. Am curious if I had different pads than the Klein leather pads if it would be better? Can't seem to get them tight..

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

The type of pads make a huge difference in comfort. I have tried the smaller "T" pads on a set for one climb and they hurt pretty bad. I had Weaver Super Pads on mine for a while and they felt great but were huge and bulky. Now I have the aluminum cup pads from ClimbRite and they are super light and comfy even standing on the spikes for a while doesnt hurt.

The type of pads make a huge difference in comfort. I have tried the smaller "T" pads on a set for one climb and they hurt pretty bad. I had Weaver Super Pads on mine for a while and they felt great but were huge and bulky. Now I have the aluminum cup pads from ClimbRite and they are super light and comfy even standing on the spikes for a while doesnt hurt.
lol, thought of Goldilocks and the 3 Bears when I was reading this :)

Back