• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sticks vs, Steps vs, Arborist Climbing methods

RotoTillerGuy

Some people like Sticks, but have they compared sticks vs steps ?
I want to here the pros and cons between Sticks vs Steps ?

and why not do away with Sticks AND Steps ( and even the need for a separate tether line ) and just use Arborist’s Climbing Gear (minus the spikes/gaffs ) ?

I do this with Treehopper steps. I take easy 15" steps and climb with my tether connected.
Edit: I also use sticks. Depends on the tree and weather conditions. Larger diameter tree, I prefer sticks. Colder conditions, sticks.

Last edited:
Minus the speed element....this is still the best method I've tried in most other way (probably safest method and easiest to use to climb and navigate branches....also extremely light). I'm going to try Tethrd One sticks in 2023 though because I don't like being on the tree climbing for so long. Also, when I tear down the step chains are so messy that it discourages changing locations during the hunt (either planned at midday/etc or because I realize I'm not in the best spot).

I'd never try WE steps because I can tell by watching videos that they won't hit any sweet spot for me.

Tried WE steps... the too finicky... I'd either not be able to get it cammed over, or I'd think it was tight only to have it slip as I was standing on it.... initial tightness required also varies a lot based on bark type.... I know it's a learning curve thing but my 3 beast minis only weigh 1 more pound and are way more stable and way simpler to install....

My experiences: I did not like sticks since they are clanky and bulky, but I was using full length lone wolf sticks so maybe newer sticks would be better. I do like arborist methods if applicable. I learned Ddrt rope climbing and it is great for accessing huge trees where nothing else would work. I just don't have enough trees where it will work in to use it as my go to method. I went to 2TC this past season, and I really like it. It is by far the best method of getting into a tree to saddle hunt that I have used.

My experiences: I did not like sticks since they are clanky and bulky, but I was using full length lone wolf sticks so maybe newer sticks would be better. I do like arborist methods if applicable. I learned Ddrt rope climbing and it is great for accessing huge trees where nothing else would work. I just don't have enough trees where it will work in to use it as my go to method. I went to 2TC this past season, and I really like it. It is by far the best method of getting into a tree to saddle hunt that I have used.

Between your rope, rope devices needed to rappel that you wouldn't use otherwise, and various foot loops and carrying stuff (basically full load out of the 2TC method).....what's the weight?

It seems the magic number is 4 lbs. You can go ultralight sticks with light aiders and it's between 4 and 5 lbs. My step method is 4.7 lbs. And from what I've seen most one sticking setups counting the weight of the long rope and mad rock device and stick is 4 to 5 lbs.

My guess is 2TC is 3 to 4 lbs.

Different strokes for different folks is what it boils down to. Personally, I don’t mind the weight of carrying sticks. However, I am giving one sticking a full commitment for 2023. It most of the areas I hunt aren’t giant tracts of land. I did learn 2TC last year. It was really light and adaptable, but got me to become a sweaty mess. So I make sure all my setups can be adaptable to use 2TC in a pinch.

For years I have experimented first with various sticks,W.E. steps and 1 sticking when the idea first came out. I took a rec tree climbing class with the intention of incorporating it for hunting. Later I developed a system that I have replaced the stick with a platform and utilize SRS ( hybrid device- no changeover ascent/ descent) and a foot ascender- always connected, try to keep slack to a minimum and ready to rappell at anytime. Keep trying to refine but always return to some type of this technique whether using a preset or cinched configuration. I try to use pieces of equipment for multiple uses to cut down on gear.

Between your rope, rope devices needed to rappel that you wouldn't use otherwise, and various foot loops and carrying stuff (basically full load out of the 2TC method).....what's the weight?

It seems the magic number is 4 lbs. You can go ultralight sticks with light aiders and it's between 4 and 5 lbs. My step method is 4.7 lbs. And from what I've seen most one sticking setups counting the weight of the long rope and mad rock device and stick is 4 to 5 lbs.

My guess is 2TC is 3 to 4 lbs.
If you mean both tethers, my saddle and a ring of 7 steps, a gear strap, and knee pads, probably 4 pounds. I have two 2TC kits that weigh under a pound each so if I wanted to go as light as possible, I could shave off some weight. The massive advantage is lack of bulk and reducing metal down to carabiners. I will try and weigh my current 2tc setup and let you know.

Ring of 7 steps on an ocb is 1LB, 14 OZ. My 2 tethers, made of 11.4mm rope are 2 LB 1 OZ as I have them set up. My saddle is 1 LB 4OZ. and the knee pads are 14 OZ.

If we are just counting our climbing method, then 2 LB, 1OZ.

I love SRT RADS climbing, it's my favorite way to climb a tree hands down. I do it just for fun. But a throwball is intractable when I rarely hunt presets, so it's not even an option 95% of the time. If you hunt mostly presets, can't recommend enough.

I really wanted to love Stepps, but I just couldn't get there. Too touchy to get them set on trees with thick bark like chestnut oak. I also just don't feel super comfortable with any single foot climbing method including bolts.

Currently one-sticking which my own technique kinda borrows from RADS a bit. I used three sticks for years before going to one. No problem using three sticks, just nice carrying two less.

Sticks just work. I can also 2TC, but I just don't quite love it yet. I might get there eventually with some tweaks to my system that make moving tethers less finicky. That's my current hangup and also want to try the double foot stirrups vs the leg wrap. It's on my offseason list.

Plan on going back to a climber at least part time when some of these new options come out. Nothing is faster or easier, I miss it when I want to be ultra streamlined, ninja speed run and gun.

If you mean both tethers, my saddle and a ring of 7 steps, a gear strap, and knee pads, probably 4 pounds. I have two 2TC kits that weigh under a pound each so if I wanted to go as light as possible, I could shave off some weight. The massive advantage is lack of bulk and reducing metal down to carabiners. I will try and weigh my current 2tc setup and let you know.

you don’t rappel down? If not, then you just inch worm down?

that’s where I thought the weight would equalize

I wouldn’t count the saddle, pads, strap, and steps because you’d have that regardless of climbing method

Ring of 7 steps on an ocb is 1LB, 14 OZ. My 2 tethers, made of 11.4mm rope are 2 LB 1 OZ as I have them set up. My saddle is 1 LB 4OZ. and the knee pads are 14 OZ.

If we are just counting our climbing method, then 2 LB, 1OZ.

thanks for that work weighing

so, if you added 30 or 40 feet of oplux and the hardware to rappel, then we’d be right around the 4 lbs magic number, I’m guessing

I love SRT RADS climbing, it's my favorite way to climb a tree hands down. I do it just for fun. But a throwball is intractable when I rarely hunt presets, so it's not even an option 95% of the time. If you hunt mostly presets, can't recommend enough.

I really wanted to love Stepps, but I just couldn't get there. Too touchy to get them set on trees with thick bark like chestnut oak. I also just don't feel super comfortable with any single foot climbing method including bolts.

Currently one-sticking which my own technique kinda borrows from RADS a bit. I used three sticks for years before going to one. No problem using three sticks, just nice carrying two less.

Sticks just work. I can also 2TC, but I just don't quite love it yet. I might get there eventually with some tweaks to my system that make moving tethers less finicky. That's my current hangup and also want to try the double foot stirrups vs the leg wrap. It's on my offseason list.

Plan on going back to a climber at least part time when some of these new options come out. Nothing is faster or easier, I miss it when I want to be ultra streamlined, ninja speed run and gun.

whoever figured out a quick, safe built in way to get the bottom of a climber around limbs will be printing money

Wow !
I am learning that there are more ways than I was aware of. What an eye opening post for me.

BTW
I think that Arborist Climbing methods seem to be the more safety conscience and secure, and it does away with the need for steps or sticks are a tether in favor of a SRS or MRS climbing method that just stays attached to the tree at all times.

Like this:

you don’t rappel down? If not, then you just inch worm down?

that’s where I thought the weight would equalize

I wouldn’t count the saddle, pads, strap, and steps because you’d have that regardless of climbing method
No, I 2tc down. It is actually easier than going up since you have gravity helping with the rope management on the way down. It is very simple once you get the hang of it.

I tried it with the rappel and a figure 8 and although fun on the way down, getting the rope out of the tree, dealing with the quick link and dealing with a pull-down line and 40 feet of rope was a deal breaker.

I find 3-Hawk Helium 20" sticks with a 3-step aider on the bottom one works well for me. I use a single step detachable aider on sticks 2 and 3 if needed. I always use a linemans belt and my tether is my rappel rope, If possible, I keep tethered the whole way up just for added safety. The tether/rappel rope makes getting down and removing hardware fast, safe and easy. I really like SRT but if I can't hunt a preset due to an overcrowded area, I don't do it. One sticking is one of my go to methods. I find it quick and safe except for the slack created in the tether between moves. To create a little more safety at that point when climbing I have a "Yates Screamer" connected between my bridge and rope. If I slip this will hopefully absorb some of the shock load. I have been playing with Primal steps and will give them a try. The only thing I might change is the straps for Amsteel 1/4" rope. It is great to have so many options and fun to try them all. When I started hunting in 1972 you nailed pieces of 2x4 to the tree as steps and built a platform out of 2x4 and plywood. No safety harnesses at that time. Now that I look back it was pretty crazy.

Wild edge steps for me using the Cain method. I’ve never tried mobile sticks but I’ve used sticks for pre sets. I like the Cain method because it takes the lineman’s rope out of the picture while climbing up, but you’re still attached. For slippery conditions I use my wild edge aider so I can step up because the tree is too slick to plant your boot into. With 8 steps I can get about 20+ ft in the tree. It’s very mobile, I can fit all my stuff into my bag. Everything I carry has multiple uses. I carry a 25 ft safety rope with a prussic that doubles as a pull rope for my bow and an extra rope just in case. Or if I’m planning to hunt a spot twice, I’ll just leave the rope and my steps and descend/ascend the safety rope using the prussic. I use 6 steps to get to hunting height and then 2 steps for my ROS. The steps when they are tied correctly(very key) have a lot of space for both boots, I feel very secure(except when you hunt in freezing rain, don’t do that). Jim Stepp did an awesome job designing these, you get a ton of surface area for your feet and they weight a poundish each. My total hunting kit is 12-14 lbs, depending on how much extra junk is in my bag.

Wow !
I am learning that there are more ways than I was aware of. What an eye opening post for me.

BTW
I think that Arborist Climbing methods seem to be the more safety conscience and secure, and it does away with the need for steps or sticks are a tether in favor of a SRS or MRS climbing method that just stays attached to the tree at all times.

Like this:

so long as you anchor around a good branch with your throw ball (a branch you can't inspect before using often times).....also, there's no back up to that line....with my system, I have a tether and lineman's lanyard at the same time but only need 1 to stay out of the hospital....there are no solutions, only tradeoffs

Back