• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Still Struggling..

bigcat93

SH Member
Well I've had a very difference experience from last year, my first year bow hunting/hunting ever.. Last year I killed a doe opening day, and 4 days later I killed my first ever buck, nice 7 pointer which is a wall hanger in my room now (so stoked every time i see it!!). However, this year I have yet to let an arrow fly. Although I had the most action around me last night than I have seen all year, and I missed sitting the cold front we had come through NJ last sunday. So here it is...

Got into my stand about 2pm, as I was setting up screw-ins for my platform 2 does were walking by so I had to take my time and slip up on to my platform and reel up my bow. Finally settled into my saddle, arrow nocked and more doe start filtering in, no clear shots since the woods I hunt are very brushy but I had my lanes cleared out and ready to go. Out of the corner of my eye I see a big bodied deer raking some tree limbs, but I couldn't see his head gear. Finally he was walking away from me and saw the antlers, but he was still 60-70 yards out. And of course right after that a nice mature doe gave me a broadside shot at about 18-20 yards that I passed on b/c i wanted to wait it out for the buck. Sure enough around 4:30 a mature doe and two fawns come strolling in, with the buck in tow. The two fawns scurry around and then away and out of sight and the doe gives me the exact same shot as the one I had before, but the buck emerges and walks directly under my tree. Tall narrow rack, big G1s, with a kind of flatten/split G1 on the right side, really gnarly looking. Well a spike buck comes out and he trots on over, the two spar, rub a bit, 7 pointer works a scrape and then walks into a clearing. He stares right at the doe and he TOOK OFF.. chased her around for about 20 minutes until everything was scattered and scared away and those two ran off into the woods. No shot. Nothing.

I did take the opportunity to look at the scrape and select a tree about 15 yards off it to hunt in the next week or two. But i think the rut is well on its way, pre-rut atlas starting now. Hope everyone is having better success than I am at the moment.

That is bowhunting. If it was easy it wouldn't be any fun! Just enjoy your time out in the woods and remember that you are learning something new every time you are out there. I've been bowhunting for 20 years and I still learn something new every time out, and I don't think that ever stops. I have a huge memory bank that I pull from when I'm figuring out how to set up to a spot or react to a situation.

It sounds like you had a great experience last night, (one that I'm jealous of!) and a great start to your bowhunting career last year. I don't know if this applies to you, and I certainly don't mean any offense at all, but real hunting isn't like they show on tv! I think tv hunting has put unrealistic expectations on new bowhunters.

Good luck out there, stay positive and good things will come your way! :D

That doesn't sound like a struggle at all, sounds like you had one hell of an enjoyable night!

Now up here in NY depending on where you live and hunt you can go weeks without seeing a deer let alone multiple deer. Where i live i may only see 1 or 2 deer everyother hunt. And up north where i hunt the big woods of the Adirondacks i went almost 7 years before i saw my first buck and now that im a bit more experienced i may see one buck a season. Its not that im a bad hunter its just that deer are few and far between.

I would say anytime you are in the woods and see deer you are sucessful, its not all about killing critters. Just sit back and enjoy the woods.

bigcat93 said:
Hope everyone is having better success than I am at the moment.

I will trade you hunting experiences so far this year.

One sit, saw two squirrels. It was one of those: run out of work, quick clean up, scent free spray, quick walk, sit two hours before dark. It was a nice hunt. Good weather and pretty scene so I enjoyed it.

I guess I may have given off the wrong attitude haha. But I by no means didn't enjoy last night, it was awesome and I saw two things I never thought I would see in the woods of NJ. Two bucks sparring, and a buck chasing a doe. Both of which were awesome and I sat in awe. Th only struggle I am having is not getting that shot! And I agree red, TV has put unrealistic expectations on hunting, and I definitely don't expect what I watch. But I am grateful to live in a high pop. deer state

bigcat93 said:
I guess I may have given off the wrong attitude haha. But I by no means didn't enjoy last night, it was awesome and I saw two things I never thought I would see in the woods of NJ. Two bucks sparring, and a buck chasing a doe. Both of which were awesome and I sat in awe. Th only struggle I am having is not getting that shot! And I agree red, TV has put unrealistic expectations on hunting, and I definitely don't expect what I watch. But I am grateful to live in a high pop. deer state
Agreed. People would be surprised with the deer and deer population we have in NJ. And now that they are changing the bowhunting laws I even tend to say that we live in a "bowhunters paradise" lol. That might be a stretch but we have a good deer population, the chance at a good buck, liberal bag limits, a long season, reduced bowhunting safety zone and at least limited sunday hunting. If they would expand the Sunday hunting opportunities I would be even happier :D

redsquirrel said:
If they would expand the Sunday hunting opportunities I would be even happier :D

What!?!?!? Limited Sunday hunting?!?!?!! I'm in MO and if I don't hunt every day of the week I feel like I'm being lazy or something. That and it's not often that you can go out hunting in and around the STL area and not see a single deer. Now down south an hour or so things are a little more sparse.

I haven't been out enough to see any good action yet, but by any measure that sounds like a great night.

I'm pretty much laying out anything that gets within range this year. I got skunked last season and am looking to not make a habit of it.

DIYSaddler said:
redsquirrel said:
If they would expand the Sunday hunting opportunities I would be even happier :D

What!?!?!? Limited Sunday hunting?!?!?!! I'm in MO and if I don't hunt every day of the week I feel like I'm being lazy or something. That and it's not often that you can go out hunting in and around the STL area and not see a single deer. Now down south an hour or so things are a little more sparse.

Yea, limited and we only got it about 5 years ago now. Limited to WMA's and private land only. That leaves probably a few hundred thousand acres of federal, state forests and parks and county land that we can't hunt on Sundays. Things are different here in the east, I'm happy we have at least some Sunday hunting now. PA still has no Sunday hunting.

redsquirrel said:
Yea, limited and we only got it about 5 years ago now. Limited to WMA's and private land only. That leaves probably a few hundred thousand acres of federal, state forests and parks and county land that we can't hunt on Sundays. Things are different here in the east, I'm happy we have at least some Sunday hunting now. PA still has no Sunday hunting.

So most of the working population only gets to hunt one day out of the week once daylight savings time hits? Well that would explain the good deer population.. ;)

DIYSaddler said:
redsquirrel said:

So most of the working population only gets to hunt one day out of the week once daylight savings time hits? Well that would explain the good deer population.. ;)
Yes, pretty much lol. I was working 7-3 and then 6-2 for the past few years until I just switched jobs for a 9-5. I miss my old shift!

Here in South Carolina, we can hunt private land on Sunday. But no public land.
I have seen four deer from my trees this year, two of which I put an arrow into. One pretty decent doe. The other was supposed to be a really big doe, but she strong jumped me a bit and I hit the yearling buck instead. Accident, but he tasted really good.
I went to look at a property that my friend hunts and before we walked twenty yards from the truck, we saw two big bucks and two does. In the open. In the middle of the day. So many rubs and scrapes that I was having trouble believing it. I live in a very rural area thirty miles from the major"city" of Greenville. This land my friend hunts is outside city limits by about a half mile. Hard to believe that there could be so much difference in the way deer behave.
The deer on his property didn't spook, they all saw us walking and talking within thirty yards of where they were standing. Then slowly walked away. Like it didn't faze them.
At my property, if a deer even thinks something is hinky, you'll never see it. Probably not from that stand for quite a while. I saw why my friend always seems to get his limit and his bucks are always bigger than what I see where I hunt. I think I like the challenge I I've grown accustomed to over the years... But I'm still going to hunt with him next week on that little piece of city magic ground, just to make sure.
So I understand the struggle. But I hope I get to take an easy one this year, for a change

essdub said:
So I understand the struggle. But I hope I get to take an easy one this year, for a change

Hey man, there ain't no shame in taking an easy one. I'm hunting an area for my meat deer where the deer are so used to people that after shooting a deer I break the treeline where my stand was to start blood trailing and there were five more deer that came into the field while I was putting up my climbing gear.

Last week one of my hunting buddies spit on a deer on accident before he had realised it was there. Did the deer run? No, not until he wiffed on the hasened shot he took them she only went about thirty yards and slowed to a fast walk.

Get your meat first then work on your memories later.

I would take an easy one right now. 2nd sit of the year was last night and it was 15 mph winds and rain. Went back this am to the same wind and same deer count... 0 for 3.

Sad thing is, I'm all over deer, just can't get the timing right.

Maustypsu said:
I would take an easy one right now. 2nd sit of the year was last night and it was 15 mph winds and rain. Went back this am to the same wind and same deer count... 0 for 3.

I know it sounds stupid but have you checked out the real tree fish and game forecaster.

http://www.realtree.com/fish-game-forecaster

DIYSaddler said:
Maustypsu said:

I know it sounds stupid but have you checked out the real tree fish and game forecaster.

http://www.realtree.com/fish-game-forecaster

Yeah, I have used a few different forecasters. But our season is a month old and I've only had three sits. So I have to take what I can get. Good or bad. Last evening was probably pretty good here because it calmed down after 36 hours of wind and rain. But even if the internet confirmed that, I still couldn't get out.
Thanks for the link though. My hunting is Friday-Monday of this coming week. Took some vacation has the rut should be starting around then. I will be out all day every day except for a morning duck hunt or two.

Good luck. I had to take a sick day so instead of wasting it I figure sitting in a ground blind waiting in a turkey should get me some rest. I'm sitting about 80 yards from my house so I'm still technically home for the day.

There were three big does in front of where I would have hunted tonight. I toyed with the idea of going out but couldn't leave work. So I glassed the field. All three in shooting range.

That's good. Here comes the rut. You girls keep eating those acorns and peeing over there. :D

Back