• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Storing 9mm HTP rope

Aeds151

Anyone have a good way to coil and store Sterling HTP 9mm rope? I have watched videos but this seems stiffer and I only have about 30’ so the REI videos leave it a bit too long for taking in and out of the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flake it out on the floor so there are no twists. Hold one end in one hand and pull the rope across your chest with the other hand. Bring your hand back and place the rope in the other hand so you have a bight in one hand or both lines. Pull the line across your chest with your free hand and bring it back to your other hand but have this bight stick out of your hand the other direction, first toward thumb next one toward pinky. All the rope will end up in one hand with each length about 5 feet so with your 30 foot rope there should be 6 lines in your one hand. Fold it in half and stick it in your pack. What this does is twists the rope first one way then the other way so the net twist on the length of the rope is zero. This works for electrical cords too.

Thanks. I didnt realize how stiff sterling 9mm htp is. I might look into something else that fits into a dump pouch better..

I literally shove mine (30ft of 9mm HTP) into one of the fleece pouches offered by @DanO at DoubleSteps. Just keep the two ends apart and stuff the rest inside. The concept is the same as a rock climber's rope bag. It pays out without tangles EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Try it out. You'll be impressed.

I literally shove mine (30ft of 9mm HTP) into one of the fleece pouches offered by @DanO at DoubleSteps. Just keep the two ends apart and stuff the rest inside. The concept is the same as a rock climber's rope bag. It pays out without tangles EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Yessir. Look up how to properly load a rope bag on YouTube if anyone needs a visual

Awesome. I am using a mil spec dump pouch off of amazon. Maybe dan o’s is a little bigger. I will look for loading a pouch video.

Have you tried this with Oplux? Same result?

Awesome. I am using a mil spec dump pouch off of amazon. Maybe dan o’s is a little bigger. I will look for loading a pouch video.

I’ve got 40’ stuffed in a fleece pouch from DanO but I’m not sure I’m going to be able to get it back in in the woods. A Molle sustainment pouch is plenty big but flops around too much on a saddle unless you have Molle connections across the top and bottom of your saddle.

@Red Beard I will have to give that a try. With a delta link I should be able to easily use it as a tether then deploy the rest of the rope to rappell down.

Your dump pouch will work just fine. @DanO 's fleece pouch is better feeling to me. Also, it stretches when I need it to...

I’ve got 40’ stuffed in a fleece pouch from DanO but I’m not sure I’m going to be able to get it back in in the woods. A Molle sustainment pouch is plenty big but flops around too much on a saddle unless you have Molle connections across the top and bottom of your saddle.
I started out with 40ft in the fleece pouch but found that I would never realistically employ 40ft. Always had at least 12-15ft laying at the bottom of the tree. Eventually I cut it down to 25ft and I'm perfectly happy with it. The leftover gave me a nice tether (should I ever need it).

Oh yeah it’s small I meant in terms of not tangling as you feed it out

I have had limited testing with mine due to the heat, but the Oplux has not been an issue feeding and does not want to tangle like other ropes so far. I just pull and stuff it back in the pouch, no technique.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I started out with 40ft in the fleece pouch but found that I would never realistically employ 40ft. Always had at least 12-15ft laying at the bottom of the tree. Eventually I cut it down to 25ft and I'm perfectly happy with it. The leftover gave me a nice tether (should I ever need it).
Rappel-only?

Back