• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Struggling a little.....

jcassell207

New to the saddle world this year, and so far I have enjoyed the saddle hunt itself.....no luck yet out of the saddle, but things are starting to move in my area so hopefully can make something happen......

I am struggling a little with my placement of stuff on the tree. It always seems I have something in the way and I wanted to ask you all for your opinion or suggestions.

When I climb the tree, I place my platform about 6 inches above my last top step of my sticks. I think I am going to try and make it level next sit to have a flat transition. Now what I am struggling with is where to store everything. As of right now, I have a smaller pack (looking to move up). As I hunt a lot of public, my walk back is normally of some distance so I like to pack in and then get everything situated at the tree....not the best option, but the only way I can keep my scent down as much as possible.

I place my tree strap above my tether, but it just seems it sits in the way. I want to have access to my bag as I have my range finder, binoculars, etc.....but don't want it in the way. And with looking at a bigger style bag, I am concerned it will just be in the way more. I forgot to take pictures so I can't post how I set up, but just wondering if anyone else had some ideas or suggestions to make it easier to have access to the bag, but be somewhat out of the way.

I prefer to have my tree strap below my tether and on my weak shot side. That gives me easy access with my dominant hand to grab what I want without obstructing my tether swing. That also leaves room on my strong shot side for my bow, my quiver hangs on the opposite side from me and grunt tube or binos or range finder or whatever your most used item is can go between you and the tree

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This is the only picture that I have to help show what I do. I have a cheap plastic caribener running through my handle on top of my bag and I use it to secure my bag to some daisy chain webbing that a buddy sewed together for me. That is off to the right side of the picture. The tag end of that orange strap is long but I'm able to adjust that up or down in any section of webbing so that it's accessible. I always keep my bag off to the right side of the tree. In this picture my bow is hanging from a different limb and strap but under normal circumstances that hero clip would be in my orange strap and the bow would be off to the left side of the tree. The unique thing about this is I am able to prioritize bow hanging height while having the ability to keep my bag much lower with the tag end of the same strap. Rangefinders, grunt calls, and thermacells are hooked in the various loops around the strap too.
63bc5fb7ceb30b9ffd3d452d9ac3d8e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

This is the only picture that I have to help show what I do. I have a cheap plastic caribener running through my handle on top of my bag and I use it to secure my bag to some daisy chain webbing that a buddy sewed together for me. That is off to the right side of the picture. The tag end of that orange strap is long but I'm able to adjust that up or down in any section of webbing so that it's accessible. I always keep my bag off to the right side of the tree. In this picture my bow is hanging from a different limb and strap but under normal circumstances that hero clip would be in my orange strap and the bow would be off to the left side of the tree. The unique thing about this is I am able to prioritize bow hanging height while having the ability to keep my bag much lower with the tag end of the same strap. Rangefinders, grunt calls, and thermacells are hooked in the various loops around the strap too.
63bc5fb7ceb30b9ffd3d452d9ac3d8e6.jpg

I do something similar. I use a diy hys strap. I set it for the height I want my bow, crossbow, or fun to hang. I leave the tag end from the hys strap hanging where I want my pack to hang and then I can hang my pack in any loop hanging down on the tag end to get it at the proper height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I put my tree strap above my tether but what I hang where is important to include where the tree strap "tail" is located. I'm right handed so my bow/gun hang from the left side. My pack hangs from the right side of the tree as low on the strap tail as possible. It's usually about knee height so I can still access it but is out of the way for viewing and when I move around.

As far as bags go, I've been downsizing throughout the season as I realized I packed stuff I never used. I now carry a smaller sling pack that carries my knife, saw, spare release a drink and snacks if needed.

I put my tree strap above my tether but what I hang where is important to include where the tree strap "tail" is located. I'm right handed so my bow/gun hang from the left side. My pack hangs from the right side of the tree as low on the strap tail as possible. It's usually about knee height so I can still access it but is out of the way for viewing and when I move around.

As far as bags go, I've been downsizing throughout the season as I realized I packed stuff I never used. I now carry a smaller sling pack that carries my knife, saw, spare release a drink and snacks if needed.
I’ve been looking at that, but with having to carry in bibs/jacket/pullover/etc i don’t know how i could do it with a smaller bag. Been looking at purchasing some property, but it’s stupid right now….

55a5116bd22f7efa15a05e5a11d9a6e3.jpg

This is how I’m set up today. I like my tether about collar bone height. Strap thingy usually goes above it. Bag to the right around 2 o’clock ish on the tree, bow to the left.

^^^^^^
My treestrap goes below my tether & is girth hitched & the tail is roughly 3oclock with top of my bag about knee high (I self film & binoculars hang off camera base (about waist high at 5oclock on the tree) rangefinder /grunt hanging chest high off the tag end holding my bag. Bow/gun hook is one of those fiberglass/plastic large Niteize S biners (Home Depot, about 6” , rip off the wire from 1side) hook placed at 10oclock so it’s not in the way of shot. By the way if I have a choice volleyball size tree is best basketball is about biggest I like , but don’t let that stop you from getting in the “right tree”. If using sticks/platform my sticks are 90ish degrees left of my platform at same height, so I can cover the tree better………. No right or wrong just figure out what works & do it the same every time!

Screenshot_20211109-165506.png
My gear strap is below my tether. It's just a piece of paracord with a couple of prussics that things hook in to. On the tree, my bow hangs at about 8 o'clock. My pack is at 3 o'clock and hangs just above my waist. It's connected to a prussic with a carabineer. I open the top and just reach in for binos, etc.

67B7FF66-F19D-4CA1-B427-97B33EF34968.png
Camjam. Couple loops tied in it, bag hands on left side bottom just above platform. Grunt range finder and binos on the hooks in the loops (not shown on picture). So far it works great. Bow hangs on big s biner and quiver on opposite side above back

My setup is similar to @Chimney7 and @Bigterp, or used to be as I’ve changed it a bit. The attached pic is old but I also set up with tether about collar bone height maybe a bit higher. As I’m right handed I secure my pack to the tree with a regular cam over strap using the hook the bag came with, typically about at chest height and at 3 o’clock on the tree. My bow goes opposite the pack and hangs on a night eyze s hook. A bigger bag will be in the way a bit more but is manageable by the type of bag and how high you hang it. I used to use a horn hunter g2 and it’s made to hang open as it has a fabric hinge. Back when I used sticks I used to hang my ridge runner about a foot higher and off to the left about 8”, that way I would step from my stick onto the ridge runner. Also, when hanging and removing my RR I didn’t have to mess with the stick being right in front of me, my work space was off to the side. My strap is secured to the RR with castration bands so it doesn’t fall off and caming over was never an issue for me. Some folks think I’m crazy but it has always worked for me and is comfortable and safe for me, ymmv.
0543BBAD-7321-4252-95D9-34EB78FBAA40.png

The most affordable and one of the better ways I've made a gear hanger that can do what you want it too is taking paracord (dollar tree sells 25 foot sections for $1) and making a single line about 6 feet long. Tie a loop in the end of it and a stopper knot in the other end. Then cut about five other 12-14 inch sections and tie them in a loop individually. Then just take the small loops and wrap them in a prusik knot around your main 6 foot line. When you get in your tree run the long line around your tree and run it through the loop at the end and pull it tight so it'll grip the tree. Have one of the loops wrapped in a prusik knot on the tag end/stopper knot side of the loop and when you hook your backpack to it, the prusik will grip the line and hold it where you want it. Then the other loops can be used as individual connection points around the line. I carry this one as a backup at all times. It's pretty slick and weighs nothing.
e6c2a4502e6bbd4d5ee467f2cb8efaaf.jpg
1bb13dc3b51e406018ace4a5ec5b7f3a.jpg

^^^^
Not trying to hi-jack the tread but this might help remedy the problem you've been having hanging your stuff in the tree.

Loo
My setup is similar to @Chimney7 and @Bigterp, or used to be as I’ve changed it a bit. The attached pic is old but I also set up with tether about collar bone height maybe a bit higher. As I’m right handed I secure my pack to the tree with a regular cam over strap using the hook the bag came with, typically about at chest height and at 3 o’clock on the tree. My bow goes opposite the pack and hangs on a night eyze s hook. A bigger bag will be in the way a bit more but is manageable by the type of bag and how high you hang it. I used to use a horn hunter g2 and it’s made to hang open as it has a fabric hinge. Back when I used sticks I used to hang my ridge runner about a foot higher and off to the left about 8”, that way I would step from my stick onto the ridge runner. Also, when hanging and removing my RR I didn’t have to mess with the stick being right in front of me, my work space was off to the side. My strap is secured to the RR with castration bands so it doesn’t fall off and caming over was never an issue for me. Some folks think I’m crazy but it has always worked for me and is comfortable and safe for me, ymmv.
View attachment 56663

looks like the horn hunter g3. That’s what I’m running this year

Heres 3 pics of my setup tonight. Gear strap is just under the tether. Pack hangs in front of me. Platform is the same height as the top step but partially around the tree. It gives me a step around the tree option if I need it.
20211109_171043.jpg20211109_171111.jpg20211109_171128.jpg

This is exactly what I do as well. hang your bow and small stuff on the horizontal part of the strap, hang your larger, bulkier items like pack, bino harness whatever on the "tail" of you strap. works like a charm and you can shoot over it but it should be on your weak side too so the least number of shot opportunities theoretically should come from that side. That all goes out the window during the chase phase though I realize that.

839FBA7F-B850-4D72-983F-D148FAF634AF.jpeg

I use one of those “treestand gear hangers” you find on Amazon, I like it a lot

Back