• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stupid Mistakes 2017-2018

DwadeCham

Started off with a bang today. Climbed up using my one aider method fairly easily to typical hunting height. Got ready to rappel down. Dropped my aider on the ground before switching to my rappel rope. By now your wheels are probably turning. Obviously I could not unload my tether to switch to my rappel rope. I spent about 40 minutes problem solving and was about 10 minutes from calling my father-in-law or the fire department when I old school Batman walked up the tree to branch at about eye level. There I could finally unload my tether and get properly hooked up to my rappel rope. Now getting off that branch onto rappel when my anchor point was below my head was tricky.

Lessons learned. Never drop your ladder. Also, never climb up without a platform or something where you can unload your tether. Finally, carry a knife. If all else had failed I could have cut my tether once I was secure on my rappel rope. I could have always bought more rope and tied a new tether. I should probably replace mine anyway.

Stay safe.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yep! I had a similar incident. I started putting all my gear on loops or pouches and not dropping it.

Also, when I lower my pack, I don't drop the tow rope. For rappel, I use the tow rope to retrieve my climbing rope.

Also....I use a daisy chain for my pack hanger. I keep a sling handy and you can make a foot loop or a temp anchor if you get stuck

I carry a neck knife at all times in the tree. Hangs in kydex sheath on a paracord necklace. I can get to it in pretty much any compromising position with no issue. also, keep your tether long enough to tie a loop to step in and unload your connection, or keep a spare sling long enough to make a foot loop. Or a stuff sack for your aider haha. Glad you're safe

I have an extra sling and 3 step aider stuffed into my pack. I wear my pack up and wear my pack down. Its my baby

Back