• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stupid question please delete W.E step as tether attachment point?

cedar paul

SH Member
I was playing around with this at ground level and it seemed very secure. Has anyone tried this extensively?

I think most of the people here will say no for safety reasons. I personally trust the step but why use it as a tether attachment? If you clip into the step it is a possible noise problem. If you girth hitch to it you might as well girth hitch to the tree. A single step cost more than the five extra feet of rope.

If my only access to a million dollars was via stepps, I'd just have to pass.

Last edited:
Personally I think the Stepps are strong enough by design. However, that said, the cross bars are secured via welds which could potentially have defects. When I climb using the Cain method I don't connect my tether directly to the stepp but rather girth hitch it around the tree and slide it up and drape it over the high Stepp after I tie it on. That way, however unlikely the chance, if the Stepp were to fail I am still solidly attached to the tree.

I think everything would be secure enough, but my real question is why? If you can reach around the tree to tie the stepp you can get a tether around the tree. A tether itself would way less than an extra step.

I think everything would be secure enough, but my real question is why? If you can reach around the tree to tie the stepp you can get a tether around the tree. A tether itself would way less than an extra step.
My immediate thought was it would make an amsteel tether possible. But the weight of the stepp would offset the weight/bulk advantage.

I'm not too keen on the idea. I like my tether to be the solution to a SHTF scenario. While there's no doubt in my mind the stepp is a tough piece of hardware, I wouldn't want it as my sole life-support for hours on end.

What would be the point? If you have to wrap a cord around the tree to attach a Stepp - why not just loop your tether around tree and girth hitch? I think using a stepp as a tether anchor gives no real advantage and yet increasing the potential for something to go wrong with your main anchor point. I would stay away for it.

OP in all seriousness when people do stuff like this they tend to end up in wheelchairs for the rest of their life or worse. Dont do it, Its a absolutely terrible idea.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I definitely wouldn't use the step for my tether. I don't see the point. I like to be connected to the tree and only the tree.

I climb trees way higher than hunters do and am very aware of a secure connection I just proposed the question. Actually in my hunting/climbing setup I am connected the whole way up and down by my climbing line and when hunting a tree tether is added. I would no way advocate using the step as the sole way to connect to a tree.

I climb trees way higher than hunters do and am very aware of a secure connection I just proposed the question. Actually in my hunting/climbing setup I am connected the whole way up and down by my climbing line and when hunting a tree tether is added. I would no way advocate using the step as the sole way to connect to a tree.
A lot of us climb outside of hunting as well, I was 86 feet up a tree today but that's not the point, the way you posed the question made some of us think that's what you were doing. But if you were going to hook up to the tree as well then why use the step to begin with? What advantage was you seeing by using the step I'm genuinely curious.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was playing around with this at ground level and it seemed very secure. Has anyone tried this extensively?
There are no stupid questions all we are doing is expressing our opinions on the matter. The members on here will help in anyway then can. Safety is our first priority. We all want every saddle hunter to be safe and come home to their families at the end of every hunt. Please don't feel that the question was stupid.

Back