• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Suggestions for Ebike groups

aclawrence

Hey guys I’ve taken an interest in Ebikes and want to learn more. I’m sure there’s some good forums or Facebook groups out there. I’m interested to see how much money it will cost to get into something good quality. Not opposed to diy. Can’t spend 2-3k right now. Ready set go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't ride an e bike, but ride a fat (Salsa Mukluk), and good quality costs money in the bike world. Most ebikes that I've seen start in the $1500 range and most of the ones that are in the hunting market have garbage components (fork, wheelset, derailleur, frame, etc) by cycling standards. A good bike isn't cheap, adding a motor makes it even more. One of the lower end ones might work for you, but I'd save up and buy once cry once.

Thanks. I don’t care if it’s marketed for hunting or not. I think I’m really curious how much I can out something decent together for. I looked at some bafang Mid drive kits. Looks like they’re in the $800 range. In general I like to buy the best but there’s no way I can spend $3500 plus on a bicycle right now. I think I need to find good bicycle to start with that will work for converting over. I’ll keep researching.

Thanks. I don’t care if it’s marketed for hunting or not. I think I’m really curious how much I can out something decent together for. I looked at some bafang Mid drive kits. Looks like they’re in the $800 range. In general I like to buy the best but there’s no way I can spend $3500 plus on a bicycle right now. I think I need to find good bicycle to start with that will work for converting over. I’ll keep researching.

That’s the key. For now, get a nice bike. Research bikes that’s have the qualities that you want. Look for bikes that have quality parts, good brakes, good shocks, and good tires. Depends on if you want fat tire or not. I really like the “plus” size bikes. It’s in between a fat tire bike and a regular bike.

look up Loca Luna. I bought the bafang mid drive system with the battery and everything from there in a kit and put it on an older bike. It works amazing. It will be even better when I switch over the kit to a newer nicer bike.

don’t skimp out on the parts. You can buy the baddest of the baddest parts that go on the 5k-8k bikes for less that 2k. Just adding a bike that isn’t electric will be a huge advantage.

Last edited:
That’s the key. For now, get a nice bike. Research bikes that’s have the qualities that you want. Look for bikes that have quality parts, good brakes, good shocks, and good tires. Depends on if you want fat tire or not. I really like the “plus” size bikes. It’s in between a fat tire bike and a regular bike.

look up Loca Luna. I bought the bafang mid drive system with the battery and everything from there in a kit and put it on an older bike. It works amazing. It will be even better when I switch over the kit to a newer nicer bike.

don’t skimp out on the parts. You can buy the baddest of the baddest parts that go on the 5k-8k bikes for less that 2k. Just adding a bike that isn’t electric will be a huge advantage.

Thanks for the reply. I’m trying to soak up all the knowledge I can. There’s a place I turkey hunt that I think one of these bikes would be super useful. There’s a long gravel road that I could cruise and stop and listen. A lot of birds hang close to the road but they here a truck from a mile a way.

Thanks for the reply. I’m trying to soak up all the knowledge I can. There’s a place I turkey hunt that I think one of these bikes would be super useful. There’s a long gravel road that I could cruise and stop and listen. A lot of birds hang close to the road but they here a truck from a mile a way.

Absolutely. Honestly once you get a bike, it will change how you hunt. I can go so much further and deeper without tiring myself out. Get a good bike rack that will hold your gear.

I love turkey hunting with a bike. All the national forests close their gates between hunting seasons. And I use the bike on all those roads to get where I need.

Here is a photo of before I put the electric part kits on my bike. I also used the bike as a deer cart.

59EE692A-1BB5-465A-85D4-096748983829.jpeg

Hey guys I’ve taken an interest in Ebikes and want to learn more. I’m sure there’s some good forums or Facebook groups out there. I’m interested to see how much money it will cost to get into something good quality. Not opposed to diy. Can’t spend 2-3k right now. Ready set go...

Here are a few Facebook. E-bike Hunters Untied, Rambo owners group, Radrover owners group. I have a Radrover it works great for hunting . It's a hub drive and it climbs hill great I put a new controller on it from Bolton E-bikes and it has way more power. Check out Mid-drive bikes from Bolton e-bikes, Rambo , Quiet Kat . There are so many more e-bikes out there. Check them out.

Absolutely. Honestly once you get a bike, it will change how you hunt. I can go so much further and deeper without tiring myself out. Get a good bike rack that will hold your gear.

I love turkey hunting with a bike. All the national forests close their gates between hunting seasons. And I use the bike on all those roads to get where I need.

Here is a photo of before I put the electric part kits on my bike. I also used the bike as a deer cart.

View attachment 24326

I’ve seen the video on YouTube of the guy coming down the hill riding on top of the deer on the bike. That definitely gave me some ideas lol. Yes, I’ve been thinking all deer season if where I can use a bike for turkey hunting. It’s my first love in the hunting world!

I’ve seen the video on YouTube of the guy coming down the hill riding on top of the deer on the bike. That definitely gave me some ideas lol. Yes, I’ve been thinking all deer season if where I can use a bike for turkey hunting. It’s my first love in the hunting world!

If I didn’t have 50 pounds of stand, sticks, bow, and filming gear on my back, I probably could have gotten on top and pedaled it out.

Bicycle hunting is definitely fun and will increase the places you can hunt.

Here are a few Facebook. E-bike Hunters Untied, Rambo owners group, Radrover owners group. I have a Radrover it works great for hunting . It's a hub drive and it climbs hill great I put a new controller on it from Bolton E-bikes and it has way more power. Check out Mid-drive bikes from Bolton e-bikes, Rambo , Quiet Kat . There are so many more e-bikes out there. Check them out.

Thanks I’ll take a look at those. So your saying by changing your controller you were able to get more power from your motor? I saw someone say they used a sprocket with less teeth to increase their torque. I’m not really concerned with top speed as much as hill climbing. Do you think mid drive is the way to go?

Thanks I’ll take a look at those. So your saying by changing your controller you were able to get more power from your motor? I saw someone say they used a sprocket with less teeth to increase their torque. I’m not really concerned with top speed as much as hill climbing. Do you think mid drive is the way to go?

Mid drive with a 30t front will give you the torque. I have a three speed internal hub on the back of mine with a 24t rear sprocket and it will climb just about anything. Top speed is only about 20mph but it’s perfect for what I do.

Mid-drive drives are good climbers. My Radrover is cheap compared to most Mid-drives and I do have a different sprocket on it and the controller does give it more power . My friend has a 1000 watt Rambo and I can climb the same hillis he does. If you go with a Mid-drive get one with a derailleur and at least 7 speed. The good thing about hub drive bikes is if you break a chain you can still get back to your vehicle using your throttle. You can't do that on a Mid-drive.

Last edited:
Mid-drive drives are good climbers. My Radrover is cheap compared to most Mid-drives and I do have a different sprocket on it and the controller does give it more power . My friend has a 1000 watt Rambo and I can climb the same hillis he does. If you go with a Mid-drive get one with a derailleur and at least 7 speed. The good thing about hub drive bikes is if you break a chain you can still get back to your vehicle using your throttle. You can't do that on a Mid-drive.
What radrover do you have? The 5 or the step Thur ? I’m looking into buying one they seem to be the cheapest with really good reviews. I was looking at the radrunner 1 or the radrunner plus they just came out with. Glad I found this forum. Bc I was wondering how they did in the woods. What mods do you have on yours any racks or anything ?

I have the quietkat ambush 750watts. I love it, however I wish I would have researched it more before I made the purchase. I outfitted it with an extra battery, fenders, rack, one up bike rack and cart. Nothing cheap about it and if I could do it over I would have gotten a different bike. It does get me to my hunting spots...some are 3 miles back on public ground. QK stays that the range is 21 miles...that's not on hills, rough terrain or mud. It would get the range if I kept it between 1 thru 3 pedal assist gear and pedaled with the throttle. However if I just use the throttle and did not pedal then 8-12 miles. If I put it up to max pedal assist and still pedal it still eats the battery. This is why I bought an extra battery.

I have the quietkat ambush 750watts. I love it, however I wish I would have researched it more before I made the purchase. I outfitted it with an extra battery, fenders, rack, one up bike rack and cart. Nothing cheap about it and if I could do it over I would have gotten a different bike. It does get me to my hunting spots...some are 3 miles back on public ground. QK stays that the range is 21 miles...that's not on hills, rough terrain or mud. It would get the range if I kept it between 1 thru 3 pedal assist gear and pedaled with the throttle. However if I just use the throttle and did not pedal then 8-12 miles. If I put it up to max pedal assist and still pedal it still eats the battery. This is why I bought an extra battery.
Yeah man I can’t be spending 3-6k on a bike lol. That’s why I’ve been looking into the rad bikes hopping some other guys on here have them and can give some input.

What radrover do you have? The 5 or the step Thur ? I’m looking into buying one they seem to be the cheapest with really good reviews. I was looking at the radrunner 1 or the radrunner plus they just came out with. Glad I found this forum. Bc I was wondering how they did in the woods. What mods do you have on yours any racks or anything ?
I have a 2018 Radrover it is not the step thru but the step thru would be nice for hunting. When I put my sticks on my rack it's hard to get my leg over the sticks to get on the bike. Also a Rambo rack fits the Radrover perfectly and I also have the Rambo cart to pull deer out of the woods. I got the upgrade controller from Bolton e-bikes witch turned my bike into a 1600 watt monster. It climbs hills just like my friends 1000 watt Mid-drive Rambo. I highly recommend it.

I have a 2018 Radrover it is not the step thru but the step thru would be nice for hunting. When I put my sticks on my rack it's hard to get my leg over the sticks to get on the bike. Also a Rambo rack fits the Radrover perfectly and I also have the Rambo cart to pull deer out of the woods. I got the upgrade controller from Bolton e-bikes witch turned my bike into a 1600 watt monster. It climbs hills just like my friends 1000 watt Mid-drive Rambo. I highly recommend it.
Sweet man that’s for the input. Definitely going to do some more research. But so far definitely leaning towards getting one of the rad bikes. Have you ever had any issues in wet weather?

I have a BakCountry Mule Ebike. It was a major financial decision, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm 6'3" and weigh 240 lbs. It hauls me around in the Colorado mountains like I'm a small child! I don't know if it is an option for you, but I have noticed that a lot of bike shops/manufacturers are doing some sort of financing now. I'm not recommending anyone fiance if you don't have too, but it is a current option. https://www.bakcou.com/ is their website. I don't have anything to do with the company at all. They are bow hunters that build an ebike for bow hunters. Great guys to work with!!!

On another note: I found the https://electricbikereview.com/ site VERY helpful when researching ebikes. This is a great resource from die-hard ebikers. Like almost anything, if you seek good advice, listen to those who eat, sleep and drink the subject.........just like SaddleHunter and saddle hunting.

I hope this helps you out.

Sweet man that’s for the input. Definitely going to do some more research. But so far definitely leaning towards getting one of the rad bikes. Have you ever had any issues in wet weather?
No problem with it in wet weather. If it really rains cover you display with a plastic bag. Also check out Bolton e-bikes web page he has some nice e-bikes and parts for the Radrover. The upgrade controller is easy to install and cost $199 . Like I said my bike has unbelievable power. Like you said do your research and check out Radrover power group on Facebook and E-bike hunters Untied.

Back