• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Summit base as climber and platform?

Rpd3d

Has anybody ever used a Summit base as climbing aid and platform. The smallest ones weight about same as sticks and platform. I hunt river bottoms most trees are conducive to climber. Can you ratchet it down enough to put side pressure on? I could cut of the last two cross member to make stand lighter. D54E1F54-B712-4D32-891F-7B5CF7238A3B.jpeg

I had that same idea?? Wonder what others think bout it?

I think a couple of people here have tried it. If you haven’t already, try the search function and do some digging.

The overall thought was it was to heavy defeating the purpose of saddle hunting(light weight) at least I think this was the general consensus!

As a disclaimer I don't own a saddle but will before next year. I do own a Summit Climber. My main reason for wanting to get a saddle is so I don't have to hear the clunking of my climber hitting limbs when carrying it plus the cable catching on stuff at the wrong time. My thinking for what is worth is if I am carrying the base then I might as well carry the top and then just hunt out of the climber.

I would also be worried about side pressure on it as I would think it would want to spin around. Might not be an issue with some trees.

If you already own one I would try it in the yard and see how it works.

I own a summit,Had a flex and now a JX3.I am wanting to try the summit open shot for a climbing base as most of the tree I climb are straig and I think that too is fairly light.Plus that and a ROS the JX3 is perfect.I can climb like a squirrel fairly quiet with a summit

The Open Shot top is the perfect size for a platform if you have climber friendly trees where you hunt.

See post here:

The Open Shot top is the perfect size for a platform if you have climber friendly trees where you hunt.

See post here:

that is exactly what I was thinking. What does modded open shot top weigh?

Web says 7 pounds.Ill try and grab one used after season

You cut some weight by removing the flip down seat and cushion, but add some back on when you install the plywood. If you're a big guy, I would suggest 3/4" plywood, but little guys can get away with 1/2" to shave weight.

LWHC is the bees knees for where I hunt. 4# folds up and straps to my pack, is narrower than my shoulders for slipping through thick stuff. I use the OCB strap to lock it down once at hunting height. Locks it down great. The bolt mod in my opinion is a must do.

I was also looking at modding the seat portion of my LW sit n climb to use but got side tracked and haven't finished it.

Another mod I did but took back off for now was the cable mod. Wasn't really a fan to be honest I climbed a little in the yard with it but I didn't give it a fair shake. The belts run great after doing the bolt mod and being short on time I just went back to it for now.

I might actually put a hazmore seat on it and use for presets on my lease from time to time. IDK

You cut some weight by removing the flip down seat and cushion, but add some back on when you install the plywood. If you're a big guy, I would suggest 3/4" plywood, but little guys can get away with 1/2" to shave weight.
6’6” 280 lbs. I might need 1 inch of plywood.

I like it! How stable is it as platform? Can you side load it or will it slip around tree?

I do like the summit lower because of size and I could stand on it. it weighs less than most stick and platform set up.

I like it! How stable is it as platform? Can you side load it or will it slip around tree?

I do like the summit lower because of size and I could stand on it. it weighs less than most stick and platform set up.
You can't just stand on my climbing aid. There isn't a platform. But after you ratchet strap it to the tree it is awesome.Screenshot_20191104-203352_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191104-203401_Gallery.jpg

Back