• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

T-top for climbing sticks

I've received a few questions about the topper of my lightweight one-stick I posted in another thread, so I thought I'd post some info on it here. In an effort to lighten my one-stick and reduce bulk, I've developed a minimal step/standoff using a 5/16" diameter bolt with a 3D-printed cover. I printed it out of PLA+, and it held up well last season. I really like having my weight centered on the stick when I'm standing above the attachment point. The STL can be downloaded for free from Cults 3D here:
https://cults3d.com/:1797632

photo_1708299530992.jpg
Screenshot_20231204-182159.png
PXL_20240218_171202257_1708303035331.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting and innovative; nice work. How well does it bite on a tree with smooth bark?

Very interesting and innovative; nice work. How well does it bite on a tree with smooth bark?
Because all the pressure goes to one point it bites pretty good. I had originally planned to file a sharper point on it for more bite. I have not done this because I don't want it getting stuck in the tree or causing more damage to the tree than necessary. I don't think it needs as much bite as a V-bracket since my weight is always pushing straight down on it. I've not yet been in a tree where I wanted more grip.

Because all the pressure goes to one point it bites pretty good. I had originally planned to file a sharper point on it for more bite. I have not done this because I don't want it getting stuck in the tree or causing more damage to the tree than necessary. I don't think it needs as much bite as a V-bracket since my weight is always pushing straight down on it. I've not yet been in a tree where I wanted more grip.
That’s great. One of my major criticisms of my camming platform is that it destroys some softwoods when all those teeth grind down into soft bark trees, like pines. It doesn’t make any sense to damage the trees I want to hunt from.

Back