• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Taking a short break

Andrew920

SH Member
I’m taking a two week break from archery, hunting and saddle related activities. I shoot year round, have done my preseason scouting and practice climbs. I think it’s beneficial to think about and do other things before the grind of a season. This summer I decided to learn how to fly fish, so I’m going to concentrate on that for a short while.

what think you? Am I completely wrong that this will help in the long run?

I’m taking a two week break from archery, hunting and saddle related activities. I shoot year round, have done my preseason scouting and practice climbs. I think it’s beneficial to think about and do other things before the grind of a season. This summer I decided to learn how to fly fish, so I’m going to concentrate on that for a short while.

Not at all. A short break from all the hype either before or during season is often all you need to recharge the battery and become eager to get in, or back in, the woods.

Like you, I will be taking a two week break, just to get away from everything. I will not access the internet, any online forums (not even saddlehunter!), - basically I'll be taking a break from all of life's daily distractions. During my two week sabbatical, I will focus on cleansing my mind and challenging myself physically and emotionally. Gosh, I am really looking forward to this elk hunt.

I understand you 100%. I did some fly fishing in college, and got away from it over the years. For a long time I was all about tournament bass fishing, sometimes being totally consumed by the competitive aspect of it.

A few years ago I picked up the fly rod and went out to catch a few trout. I was on doctor's orders not to go back to the office for the rest of the week, and was sick of being in the house. Didn't have the energy to get the boat out of the garage, so I decided I could wade the river to chase trout. It was the most amazing thing to be fishing, and not competing against someone, or preparing to compete.

The last two years, bowhunting has kind of replaced bass fishing for me. I still fish club stuff, but most months I'm just going fishing, and it's only a bonus if I get a check. It's always good to take a break and do something different.

2 weeks is just a drop in the bucket. I’m sure you’ll be fine. Enjoy your time off and work on that sail cast.

A TWO week break?! 1693195285648.png

This is my soap box... There are things called "seasons" for a reason. There's hunting season, fishing season, golf season, trapping season, baseball season, basketball season, football season, etc. It's not healthy to convert a season to a year round activity.

Go do something else.

You’ll be fine. I also shoot year round but I always have, I would shoot bows year round whether hunting was even a thing or not, shooting is a must and a hobby I just happen to utilize it to hunt when the season comes. I use the “break” approach to working out, I don’t work out during hunting season I usually stop working out completely from Oct-Dec every year and every Jan or Feb come back stronger and better than before. Breaks are beneficial when done correctly.

Taking a break sounds like a great plan for your situation. State of mind is critical to effective hunting.

personally I’m going the other direction this year. Over the coming weeks I’ll be practicing and prepping gear, and getting back in the habit of waking really early and getting to bed early. I’m going to do everything in my power to strengthen my body and mind to prepare me for the climbing,
Shooting, and hunting. For me this year that means an intensive preparation; it sounds like for you that means clearing your mind and focusing on non hunting activities.

it’s amazing how slowly the season seams
To approach all year, and then all of a
Sudden it’s less than a month and coming at brake neck speed.

HaHa! A break from hunting? Hunting is my break and it is a year round break for me because it's always in the back of my mind. I've been checking Oak trees for acorns as I am driving around during the day for work lol. It's Willie Nelson syndrome for me (Always on my mind)
Same here…
I was up late last night comparing trail cam photos of a nice buck against the weather conditions at the times he was in that location. And then I couldn’t sleep thanks to the excitement of my discoveries.

HaHa! A break from hunting? Hunting is my break and it is a year round break for me because it's always in the back of my mind. I've been checking Oak trees for acorns as I am driving around during the day for work lol. It's Willie Nelson syndrome for me (Always on my mind)
Honestly that’s the way it is with me also, but that’s also why I’m taking a break. I think it’ll help keep me focused and motivated throughout the season.

This is my soap box... There are things called "seasons" for a reason. There's hunting season, fishing season, golf season, trapping season, baseball season, basketball season, football season, etc. It's not healthy to convert a season to a year round activity.

Go do something else.
Pffttt. There are only 2 seasons...killin season and preseason. ;)

Go do something else.

How about: bow season, rifle season, late bow season, post-season scouting season, trail camera season, pre-season scouting season, pre-set season, and then back to bow season???

All kidding aside, I do have other things that I do, but not with the passion (currently) that I have for deer hunting. I also can't put in the amount of time that I "want" too, because of "adulting". I've done a lot of things, and I don't have the time for all of it at the level at which used to be possible.

Back