• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Talk me off the ledge or jump??

MattMan81

SH Member
Excalibur 340 mag... I see one on sale. I want a life time warranty on limbs. Love the wheel-less approach.
Is there usually Black Friday deals on crossbow?
Should I wait? Something else? After a string of broken limbs in my life, I just want something that will work and shoot deer out to 30yards.

I love my Excalibur. I think its only 305fps and hammers out to 40yrds. They already replaced my scope for free. Theres a customer service place in Port Huron, for us Michiganders. Super friendly guys there too. Just make sure you register your equipment when you get it.

Excalibur 340 mag... I see one on sale. I want a life time warranty on limbs. Love the wheel-less approach.
Should I wait? Something else? After a string of broken limbs in my life, I just want something that will work and shoot deer out to 30yards.
If you’re concerned about limb damage, be mindful that a
Non compound Xbow keeps and stores all of the poundage in the limbs compared to compound styles. A non compound does not have that wonderful thing called letoff which requires less weight on the limbs and with an Xbow, you’re always keeping the bow cocked. I’m not saying Excalibur bows are bad just pointing out some facts regarding the two styles. Especially given your limb damage concerns.

By the way, Rich Wilson who does the Death By Bungie YouTube video has a good couple of videos on limb damage after his daughter’s 340 limb broke.

Love my Excalibur I have the matrix 380 and it’s dead on out to 60. There was a series on YouTube of the creator literally trying to break the Excalibur, only thing they broke was a scope and maybe a scope ring. There’s no bow better made on the market period. And their simplicity makes them insanely accurate. But the biggest one for me, I can change the string literally while on the stand or saddle.

Do it. Just bought a crossbow this year and I am unashamed of how happy I am with the decision. I much prefer my compound, but sometimes in a blind or in the cold my 60# bow can be a bear to pull back especially with layers on. Crossbow makes more than sense to have around for just such occasions. Excaliburs are sexy as hell too. They just plain work, and bonus points cuz you look like Chewbacca toting it around.

Is the fixed stock an issue for smaller/younger hunters being able to use it? That would be my biggest concern with a fixed stock crossbow is making sure my kids could shoot it

You already know my thoughts on an xbow. I would imagine there will be Black Friday deals, Veterans Day deals, thanksgiving and Christmas too if you aren’t in a hurry. Basselas has 5% mil discount if you qualify for that and sometimes they have 6 pay. I’d say if you can control your urges wait a bit to see if one goes on sale. That is supposed to be a nice bow, I went the Barnett route because I need the adjustable stock and cheek riser as the lad has been voicing wanting to get in the woods and he doesn’t have orangutan arms like his pop.
If’n you need to scratch that itch I say go for it. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. They’re a hoot to shoot.
**Edit: before you pull the metaphorical trigger go haunt crossbownation and read up on potential issues, might be one that’s a deal breaker for you. Good group of folks over there.

I was talking to someone at work. Do you guys think the Excalibur bows are loud? I mean most crossbow I have shot have some noise. Do you think they are louder? I like the simplicity of the excalibur. But there is a lot to like about the other ones as well. It's hard to decided. I also don't really want to spend 1500 on a crossbow at this time. I want simple and functional with a life time warranty. My luck what ever I get with go out of business!
@Exhumis every brand I read about has some kind of failure. I do like some of those features on the Barnett's. I would still be using the old Parker if it wasn't broke. Did you shop anything else you liked?

Centerpoint is doing a big sale right now. I've looked at Barnett but if I wanted a bow now I would go Centerpoint. I believe the sale is still going

Centerpoint is doing a big sale right now. I've looked at Barnett but if I wanted a bow now I would go Centerpoint. I believe the sale is still going

I almost pulled the trigger on a cp400 when you could get the extra discount. Wish I would have. But CP only shows a 5 year warranty on their bows. KI says lifetime, but you have to have it inspected every 3 years by a dealer.

Yeah, I just checked. Still can get 25% off with FWO25 but the 35% is no longer. Get the excalibur

I cross shopped the center point amped and killer instinct vital x which were all the same price point roughly. I don’t care about the scope so that wasn’t a factor. For me came down to the grip and stock. I like how the xp400 fits me, feels good.

I was talking to someone at work. Do you guys think the Excalibur bows are loud? I mean most crossbow I have shot have some noise. Do you think they are louder? I like the simplicity of the excalibur. But there is a lot to like about the other ones as well. It's hard to decided. I also don't really want to spend 1500 on a crossbow at this time. I want simple and functional with a life time warranty. My luck what ever I get with go out of business!
@Exhumis every brand I read about has some kind of failure. I do like some of those features on the Barnett's. I would still be using the old Parker if it wasn't broke. Did you shop anything else you liked?
Yeah I find it a little loud but everything else is so over the top it doesn’t matter. I’ve never had a problem killing deer or hogs with it. Also as far as brands not other crossbow even crosses my mind. I’ve shot the ravins just too but I’d buy an Excalibur before accepting a free ravin or accept the ravin and sale and get an Excalibur. There’s just no comparison it’s in a league of its own.

Back