• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Talk me out of a Chamberlin

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Got a surprise check from an article I forgot I'd written. Eyeballing the Firstlite Chamberlin. I've managed to add some wool baselayers to my system, and I'm looking for a super-warm something that I can throw on once I'm at my duck hole or in my treestand for late season hunts.

Anybody have one?

Don’t have one so can’t provide specific guidance. But I will offer there are several non-hunting brands that offer excellent puffy jackets, non-camo allows you to use it as an everyday jacket too

Nick hunts every day, so camo is actually more practical for him
Used to, brother. Used to.

I've deer hunted maybe 6 days total this year. I do a bit better on ducks because I can be back home by 9am. But I've fallen into the "making a hobby your job trap." I spend so much time writing and talking about hunting and fishing that I have no time to actually do it!

Used to, brother. Used to.

I've deer hunted maybe 6 days total this year. I do a bit better on ducks because I can be back home by 9am. But I've fallen into the "making a hobby your job trap." I spend so much time writing and talking about hunting and fishing that I have no time to actually do it!

Wait a second, writing and talking about hunting and fishing is a job? I’m only 23 posts behind @Red Beard. How much is @redsquirrel paying him? Do I need to have “red“ in my moniker to get paid? Lol.

You‘re a good writer @Nutterbuster. Keep at it and those opportunities (to hunt and fish) will happen for you in spades.

I can’t speak of it. Just an opinion though. If you’re tough on gear, I’d really watch that face fabric. I can’t seem to find out what it is.

Ik it may not help but have you considered a puffy mid layer like the Source with a good out layer? I do get that you said it would be a piece to be put on in the field so maybe total durability isn’t an issue. Also it may not be an issue as I don’t have much experience with Puffys, just things i hear.

I can’t speak of it. Just an opinion though. If you’re tough on gear, I’d really watch that face fabric. I can’t seem to find out what it is.

Ik it may not help but have you considered a puffy mid layer like the Source with a good out layer? I do get that you said it would be a piece to be put on in the field so maybe total durability isn’t an issue. Also it may not be an issue as I don’t have much experience with Puffys, just things i hear.

Nylon

I’m not a fan of wool as an outerwear layer. But before I’d try a $400 down coat with a DWR nylon, I’d love to know what a HVWT Warrior Wool Anorak can actually do. It’s not logical. But that’s the value of extra cash.

All seriousness and stuff. I don’t own one but true Chamberlin is a nice coat. It’s warm but there are warmer coats out there. I like the stone glacier a little bit more but it’s like a Ford/Chevy thing.

I’m at the tail end of this rabbithole.
Some of the spreadsheet crew might have better feedback.
I went with the Black Ovis for about $150 on sale . It’s 800 fill w 120g of down ( not water resistant) , I think- all this fill weight crap is too much to keep track of.
Down options like the REI magma or EMS had my attention for the money but they only had loud colors .
If I were feeling spendy I’d look at US made as all the camo brands seemed over priced without going on western trips annually

* puffy and pants are on camofire today. I believe the jacket is slightly less from black ovis with free shipping and 10% promo.

Last edited:
I have been using the Dri Duck traverse puffer jacket for a few fishing seasons. It’s lightweight, wind and water resistant. I wear it under a more durable totally wind and waterproof outer layer. The Traverse jacket can be found for less than $50. It’s not available in camo and the exterior material would not handle briars etc at all but as a mid layer it’s an awesome value.

I just read the original post again and my reply is not on subject but I’ll leave it if someone is interested in a mid layer puffer.

It'll make you look like the stay puft marshmallow man and that's a look nobody needs on stand

Back