• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Target bucks

This year ain’t looking good. I have 1 possible shooter on camera. I’ll be starting the season in places other than where my cameras are hoping for a surprise.
However, last year I had 6 shooters across 3 locations. I only saw 2 of them and they were running from me together when I was heading to the truck midday. Good this year luck all!

Serious answer, most of where I will be hunting this year I either wont have cams or cant use cams. Per usual I will be looking for mostly any buck 4.5 or older. If he has big antlers that is just a bonus to me.

How it started….
81bbd0211b4360e85e86acc284e3033b.jpg

How it ended 24 days later…off to a good start
f059b2aeae7218ffe7bb7654e9c67881.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll know my "target buck" when it steps out in front of me. :)
I don't run trail cameras and prefer to stay out of the area, until the day I set foot on the grounds. I've hunted this area before and know where I'm going. It's just a waiting game after that point. :cool: I have some long range Nikon photos of a couple of decent bucks.

Late July.
Velvet Buck 1.jpg
Early July....different buck.
Velvet Buck 2.jpg
Late June.
Buck group5.jpg
Early August.
B1.jpg
B3.jpg

I'll know my "target buck" when it steps out in front of me. :)
I don't run trail cameras and prefer to stay out of the area, until the day I set foot on the grounds. I've hunted this area before and know where I'm going. It's just a waiting game after that point. :cool: I have some long range Nikon photos of a couple of decent bucks.

Late July.
View attachment 90481
Early July....different buck.
View attachment 90482
Late June.
View attachment 90483
Early August.
View attachment 90484
View attachment 90485
I love that long range surveillance. Very exciting time of the year glassing and planning

Woah nice buck! What is this deer contest ?

Only real rules are usually that you need to be a paid member and to be eligible for entry you have to be tethered in when you get the deer ( for example saddle hunting on the ground is fine)

Join up!! It's just for fun!

I tend to not name or chase certain deer. In big woods mtns you can go nuts looking for 1 specific deer. Won't lie however, there is a giant that made it that's now an 11-point this year. Heavy at least 25in deer. I posted this before and this was last year.
20230628_162210.gif

I’ve been trying to catch up with this guy for a few years and had some major breakthroughs over the past year. Im hoping the weather allows me some opportunities at him before the rut begins and he starts chasing does.IMG_5413.jpeg

IMG_5417.jpeg
And then there’s this guy. I’ve recently discovered that he only comes to this bedding area when the wind exceeds 20mph. But he does it all through the year. He was young last year but had a great rack with drop tines and kickers. I haven’t and won’t check this camera again for a long time so I have no idea what he looks like this year.

IMG_5414.jpeg

And then there’s this character. I Dont and probably won’t have any pics of him, but I’ve got his sheds and thanks to old fashioned scouting know quite a bit about. If he’s still alive I’ve got a reasonable chance of getting him if we get snow during gun season.
IMG_5415.jpeg

there are a few others that I’ve got pics of and would lobe to pursue, but that I frankly just don’t know anything about, like this guy with a double main beam:IMG_5416.png

Back