• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Target

Alud555

I'm in need of a new target. What do people like for the money? Is it worth getting a super expensive target? I'd like to shoot broadheads into it as well.

Nothing that I'm aware of will hold up to broadheads. But I'm happy with my Bulldog target for field points. Get the plus version and they have a lifetime warranty with some caveats.

I like my big shot Titan 16 for broadheads. I'd say I already got my money's worth out of it and plenty of life left. Once I shoot through this one I'll buy another

I shout broadheads at a Block target. It works well. The 18 inch version was around $100. I think one of the best BH targets going is probably the matrix. Problem is that it is something like 400 bucks! Someday, maybe...

Broadheads tear up targets. Id suggest getting a nice target for field points and buying the cheap knock off block target as needed for broad heads. I have a yellow jacket target designed for broad heads and hate pulling arrows from it. If you shoot it with a field point, be ready to fight to get it out. I have an old blob target I bought years ago that Ill send 20 or so shots at a year with broad heads. Ive got a better target for field points.

Reinhardt 18-1 target is the best for the money. I’ve had mine for 3 years now and haven’t even gotten close to tearing it up. That thing will last forever. 130 bucks but for the length of time you’ll have it, it pays for itself.

For me:

Rhinehart 18-1 for field points. That thing can be rotated 18 different ways from Sunday and will last ... plus it travels very well.

As mentioned, Block (or Block knockoff) for broadheads. Something you'll probably only replace every 5-6 years.

I only shoot Broadheads and my block has held up to almost a year of shooting. From both compound and xbow

I'm in need of a new target. What do people like for the money? Is it worth getting a super expensive target? I'd like to shoot broadheads into it as well.

For a field point target, I got a big construction bag (the woven poly kind with handles that can hold a ton of concrete scraps) and got walmart bags, feed bags, and pellet stove bags from people and filled it up. Cost hardly anything and is huge.

For broadheads, I like the rinehart 18 - 1, but no broadhead target that will last is cheap. The rinehart material is good.

A lot of people like the slightly cheaper target that is red and looks like a pair of dice.

I got 7 years out of my Rhinehart 18-1 shooting mostly fieldpoints to practice and preseason tuning/checking broadheads. It's about toast now. I don't shoot a ton, about once a week from the summer through the season about 12-20 arrows at a time typically. Might shoot once a month if that from now til July

Really like the idea of a Matrix target to rotate the wear spots and be able to replace, but they are spendy. Probably going to buy one after Xmas here. My kids will be starting in a few years and having something a little larger should help them at first.

Reinhardt 18-1 target is the best for the money. I’ve had mine for 3 years now and haven’t even gotten close to tearing it up. That thing will last forever. 130 bucks but for the length of time you’ll have it, it pays for itself.

Can't vouch for the site, but factory blemished $94.99

Do they still make the blob targets. It's just a dense clump of solid foam. A lot like the rhinehart foam. The blob lasted a long time but It was a 3x4 block. Lots of fresh spots to shoot. I've had many 3d and block shaped foam targets. Layered targets might work well for field points but don't hold up as long with broadheads. Think about it, it's already sliced in one direction. My rhinehart 18in1 is still going but has a hole straight thru it. Been having it for over 10 years but its mostly seen tradbows. Rhinehart foam is my favorite. I think they make a cheaper foam on some of their economy targets but it's still better than most. So you get what you pay for. Best situation is to just shoot a sand bag with broadheads and field points on your expensive foam targets and they will last a long time.

Can't vouch for the site, but factory blemished $94.99

I wish I'd seen this before I bought mine last year. I'm half tempted to buy another!

A lot of people spray paint these (like I did) because the green pattern on them is pretty hideous (Rinehart CS guy confirmed that a lot of people ask for them to make them all black and ask about the best way to paint them). So, the blemish wouldn't bother me at all.

In case anyone wants to know, use Dawn and warm water to scrub it really good, let dry for a long time (open cell foam is a sponge), and then spray paint it.

I bought a third hand and hate it. inserts hang up in cover and cant pull through.

Is it a single or double layer? If a double layer, then I bet that is why because it spreads 2 layers and they close like a finger trap. I did that to myself on a DIY one.

Do they still make the blob targets. It's just a dense clump of solid foam. A lot like the rhinehart foam. The blob lasted a long time but It was a 3x4 block. Lots of fresh spots to shoot. I've had many 3d and block shaped foam targets. Layered targets might work well for field points but don't hold up as long with broadheads. Think about it, it's already sliced in one direction. My rhinehart 18in1 is still going but has a hole straight thru it. Been having it for over 10 years but its mostly seen tradbows. Rhinehart foam is my favorite. I think they make a cheaper foam on some of their economy targets but it's still better than most. So you get what you pay for. Best situation is to just shoot a sand bag with broadheads and field points on your expensive foam targets and they will last a long time.

Looks like blobs are still available to purchase. I almost bought one years ago but shipping cost was just murder.

I'm not an expert on targets, and have probably a lot less experience with what's on the market than others here.

When I was making my decision I was considering these factors:
1. Durability vs Cost
2. Affordability vs Size
3. Ease of pulling arrows
4. Versatility (broad head and field point)
5. Weather resistance vs. size

I ended up with a Rinehart Signature. (Note the woodland do not use the same foam).

1. If it's twice as expensive, I think it's lifespan will exceed double many other targets. The core is replaceable too.
2. I wanted a large target, but couldn't afford the bigger targets of similar quality nor a big Rinehart...so moot. There are some large options that were cheaper but didn't appear to have the quality I was after.
3. Some folks think arrows pull out tough from Rineharts. They may hold tighter, but seem to stop the arrow shallower. Hasn't been an issue for me.
4. Can shoot both, but I primarily shoot field points.
5. I wanted a permanent set up I could keep outside rather than toting in and out from a garage or shed. Rinehart Signatures hold up well outside. I'd be storing many other brands inside, which would have meant getting a smaller target for storage and setup convenience.

I wish I could afford a really big target and if I had cash to waste would get one of their T-Rex or Squatch targets.

Now, I've had my target a number of years and haven't been following new technologies. I hear McKenzie improved their foam sometime back, and there are things posted here that are unknown to me.

I shout broadheads at a Block target. It works well. The 18 inch version was around $100. I think one of the best BH targets going is probably the matrix. Problem is that it is something like 400 bucks! Someday, maybe...

Just watched the videos on the Matrix, look slick.

FYI, There is an 18" square version for $250, in addition to the signature $359 hexagon.

Back