• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

"Test at ground level"

DanielB89

I have seen this phrase multiple times when someone is trying to reinvent the wheel, or just make the wheel better. To be honest, I don't think we use it in a way that accurately and efficiently tests the important aspects of our equipment. It is definitely a good concept, but, do we actually know what "test at ground level" means? My initial thought is, it means use it extensively at a height close to the ground until you've gained complete confidence in your system. I do believe my thoughts on that, though not incorrect, are definitely not what they should be.

Testing something at ground level, and only learning how to use it is of use, but it isn't what is going to matter when you're no longer at ground level. How could we effectively test a saddle at ground level to make sure all parts are going to hold up should the unthinkable happen?

How can I effectively know whether or not those g hooks not being weight bearing actually matters? We assume the belt portion of the saddle is the most importable part, and rightfully so, but, what happens when if you fall and the next thing you know the saddle is under your arm pits before you know what even happened?

I had an aider kick out on me 2 years ago and i'm telling you that before I knew my foot had kicked out, I had a WE step on a rib and it was pretty unpleasant.

When your life is on the line, it's so important to remember that you're only as strong as you're weakest link. Has anyone effectively tested falling 3' with a ropeman? Sure, I love mine. But, have I put it through any type of test that leads me to believe it'll still be holding on should I some how have excess slack in a rope and fall?

I know i've begun to ramble, but I thought of all this after reading it on a recent DIY saddle with plastic buckles. Sure, that saddle will work 100% of the time, until it doesn't. and i'm afraid that we may not live to tell about the time it didn't.

Be safe fellas, I pray you all have families at home that want to see you back home after your hunt.

God Bless,

Daniel

Last edited:
I think your thoughts are spot on for that phrase...test and learn your system under safe conditions until you are capable with the system, confident it is the right system for you and confident in it's safety. As a general statement the saddle hunting community is significantly safer and more safety conscious than the general hunting populace.

I was thinking there’s 3 classifications of equipment. First there is rated equipment used as designed. Things like the rope, caribiners, commercial harnesses and saddles. I don’t see the need to reinvent the wheel and test those items necessarily as they’ve been tested in labs. That said learning how to use them properly and within their limits while at a safe height (ground or just above) is important!

Next would be commercial devices used off script. This might be a grigri connected to your tether or while hanging in free space working. You want to test or play with it at a safe height to see how it behaves. The ropeman is a good example because if you use it to connect to your tether and release it to lower your position you are NOT connected for a few seconds and you need to understand this aspect and practice at a low height.

Last is all the home made, paracord and duct tape stuff we tend to do. Rope mods and daisy chains and upgraded bridges and so on. They all need to be tested at a safe height and that would include jumping on your rope modded stick and trying to break it or make it fall and things like that.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it an adequate test to just learn how to use the saddle at ground level? In my opinion, no. Knowing how to use a saddle doesn't mean my buckle isn't going to snap should I have a 6" static fall.

To me test at ground level is about learning use more so than risk mitigation. If we learn to use and test fit and function in a safe environment we have covered the majority of risk outside of an equipment failure. We can always employ a backup in our system that would cover everything except main rope failure in which case we are screwed and I suppose one could always drag 2 ropes up a tree but I doubt many would do so.

To me test at ground level is about learning use more so than risk mitigation. If we learn to use and test fit and function in a safe environment we have covered the majority of risk outside of an equipment failure. We can always employ a backup in our system that would cover everything except main rope failure in which case we are screwed and I suppose one could always drag 2 ropes up a tree but I doubt many would do so.

That's kind of my point. Testing something at ground level does not do away with any ill used equipment that's not going to stand up to a fall.

Practice at ground level - get familiar with your equipment in a safe setting before hunting. Used by forum members to caution newbies who are anxious to go bust a swamp donkey in their saddle as part of their mobile hunting rig. Gotta temper the excitement.

Test at ground level - a polite way to tell somebody you think their stuff is sketchy AF.

I have wondered about safety as well. Does anyone use a "backup" to the bridge? I thought about just using my lineman as well, hooked in with bridge, instead of putting it away, but that still just leaves a person connected to a "one point" of attachment, the tether rope connection...When is enough enough?

Practice at ground level - get familiar with your equipment in a safe setting before hunting. Used by forum members to caution newbies who are anxious to go bust a swamp donkey in their saddle as part of their mobile hunting rig. Gotta temper the excitement.

Test at ground level - a polite way to tell somebody you think their stuff is sketchy AF.
As a new saddle hunter, I agree with practice with equipment at ground level to get familiar with everything and go through a mock setup in the tree. For me, it was as simple as how and when to remove my linemans belt or even as simple as how to attach my tether to the tree.

I also had to see how a saddle felt when hanging, leaning and sitting.

I wore my saddle the first few times with no intentions of leaving the ground.

As far as I can see so far, this method of hunting is safer than my tree climber days.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As a new saddle hunter, I agree with practice with equipment at ground level to get familiar with everything and go through a mock setup in the tree. For me, it was as simple as how and when to remove my linemans belt or even as simple as how to attach my tether to the tree.

I also had to see how a saddle felt when hanging, leaning and sitting.

I wore my saddle the first few times with no intentions of leaving the ground.

As far as I can see so far, this method of hunting is safer than my tree climber days.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Absolutely. You practiced at ground level, hopefully with equipment that doesn't need to be tested at ground level. ;)

Too me testing at ground level is to get over the feeling of hanging. It is not natural to hang. It is natural to want to stand on something and to hold onto something. So it is about learning to trust your equipment at ground level. Then taking your time to learn your climbing system.

There’s a video of a guy snatching a ropeman with some slack, snatched it with a side/side UTV...

I tested my saddle with several snatches with my F150 in 4low.

May just be redneck testing but that’s the only kind of “ground testing” that gives me confidence in the equipment

This is a good video explaining the issue with the ropeman. If you tie an oh crap knot under it and are aware of this issue you can mitigate it.

This is where testing at ground level comes in though because no matter the device, you need to learn the ins and outs of using it in a safe environment.

Back