• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

tether and rappel rope as one?

diuilin

I'm just getting started here, so maybe this is a dumb question. When one-sticking, I gather you go up the tree with the tether and the lineman's belt, right? So why not just go up with the rappel rope (one less piece of gear)? And then I might as well use that to haul up my gear as well?

I primarily use the one stick method with a 40' oplux rope as my rappel. I use that to go up the tree and move it as i go up. But I also have my short tether, lineman's belt and bridge. This way I can go around trees or whatever else i need to do.

I also had this same question. Seems like a good idea. Most people that don't use the same line is weather. If it gets wet or frozen it can be hazardous. But for the most part, its a good idea.

This video has been floating around but he has the system dialed. I will be giving this a try this season.

I primarily use the one stick method with a 40' oplux rope as my rappel. I use that to go up the tree and move it as i go up. But I also have my short tether, lineman's belt and bridge. This way I can go around trees or whatever else i need to do.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of the issue of mobility with a long rope dangling down.

I have tried this since I started my version of 1 sticking/1 platform using my cinched climbing line as my tether when at the top. After much experimenting I am now ascending the tree and then shifting to a separate tether because I am finding that I need the tether at eye level to optimize the comfort of my saddle (Latitude Outdoors Method).

If you dont want it dangling check out the water bottle pouch trick. @DanO sells them on his website. Doublesteps.com

Look at @Redbeard 's thread on 5.5 lb climbing method to see how it all works. If you have a dump pouch or something similar it will work the same. Just holds all your tail end of the rappel line

I'm just getting started here, so maybe this is a dumb question. When one-sticking, I gather you go up the tree with the tether and the lineman's belt, right? So why not just go up with the rappel rope (one less piece of gear)? And then I might as well use that to haul up my gear as well?

One sticking doesn’t require a lineamens belt. You can get away using your rappel rope as both but with factors to consider such as freezing temps. I used mine as both last year and it worked up until it hit freezing temps. Then I quickly learned what a PITA having a frozen rope that’s been rained on all day is trying to get through a figure 8. This year I’m running both a short tether (6-8ftish) along with my rappel rope. This way regardless how much it rains and freezes out, won’t run into any issues getting down. If you don’t have freezing temps to worry about, I say use it as both and save yourself the extra gear.

One sticking doesn’t require a lineamens belt. You can get away using your rappel rope as both but with factors to consider such as freezing temps. I used mine as both last year and it worked up until it hit freezing temps. Then I quickly learned what a PITA having a frozen rope that’s been rained on all day is trying to get through a figure 8. This year I’m running both a short tether (6-8ftish) along with my rappel rope. This way regardless how much it rains and freezes out, won’t run into any issues getting down. If you don’t have freezing temps to worry about, I say use it as both and save yourself the extra gear.
Thanks, Niko. Sounds like one rope will be the way to go unless there's a chance of freezing. I'm glad to see you're using a figure-8. That's what I was planning, along with a prussik or maybe a Ropeman or Kong Duck, but then I saw Garrett's video (DIY Sportsman), and it looks like he's using only a Maddog safeguard (lifeguard?). Not sure how that works.

One sticking doesn’t require a lineamens belt.

I agree with this but just to clarify here - you gotta have a second rope to get around limbs, etc. Whether it’s a lineman’s belt or a tether is up to you....

Otherwise you can absolutely use your rap rope as your tether if you wish as long as you have the right rap device (ie safeguard).

I'm using 8mm Oplux as my tether while ascending via 1-stick and when I get to my target height. As others have mentioned, I try to keep from having a long tail swaying around at the base of the tree. I have 9mm HTP static rope that I switch over to when it's time to rappel down. I also use it when I have to work around a limb.

In the future I may switch over to a full Oplux (or other lighter-than-HTP rope) setup, but my stuff is new enough and works good enough for me that I'll use it until I wear it out.

Last edited:
Thanks, Niko. Sounds like one rope will be the way to go unless there's a chance of freezing. I'm glad to see you're using a figure-8. That's what I was planning, along with a prussik or maybe a Ropeman or Kong Duck, but then I saw Garrett's video (DIY Sportsman), and it looks like he's using only a Maddog safeguard (lifeguard?). Not sure how that works.

IMO there really isn't a need for that other stuff. All a guy needs is a figure 8 and some climbing rope. Anything else is overkill in my book. Take that with a grain of salt as I'm just a saddle hunter and not a certified climbing expert that's been doing this his whole life. I just see no need for the other stuff when a figure 8 is all a guy needs to get the job done. Just be sure to practice a LOT a ground or just above ground level until it becomes second nature to ya.

Back