• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether instead of Linesman Belt for climbing with Sticks

Wayne K

Thinking of using my tether over my head instead of a linesman belt when climbing with sticks. My thoughts I could hang in saddle while adding another stick and climb on. Any thoughts - Pro's - Con's. Leaning into a linesman belt ok but it seems I am always fighting to keep it up.

I think better than sliding down a tree with linesman belt to catch - just my opinion

I think better than sliding down a tree with linesman belt to catch - just my opinion

A lineman’s belt is not designed to restrain you in the event of a fall. It is a device to give you a second point of contact besides yourself feet. This gives you stability at height to work with your hands.

If you’re depending on a lineman’s belt now to catch you in the event of a fall, you’re asking for trouble.

You can loop a line and belt across your body then around and I'm pretty sure it will stop a fall.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

When I one stick up the tree...I do not use a LB. I use my tether...plain and simple. Once I am on my bottom step I slowly move my tether up as high as I can reach...move to my second step and move my tether again. When I say I only introduce minimal slack in my system...I'm not kidding. Kind of like an inch worm. I get to my bottom step...move my tether. Get to my top step...move my tether. Just to test out my tether...I took some static rope that I had (didn't want to test out my tethered tether) and simulated me falling off my bottom step as I moved to the top step. It was jarring...yes...but it was not catastrophic. I feel safer using my tether than I do using my lineman's belt...which I only have done this year once...when I was setting up my ladder stand for my son to shotgun hunt.

I prefer both. Lineman's for stability while attaching steps. Tether for safety. Lineman's will stay where you put it provided you keep it adjusted to the proper length to allow you to keep pressure on it while working. I had issues with it falling down a lot at first, but with practice, I very seldom have that issue any more.

I use a 30’ tether/rappel rope to climb but have my lineman hanging off my harness in case I need it for stability when working on something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lineman’s belt is not designed to restrain you in the event of a fall. It is a device to give you a second point of contact besides yourself feet. This gives you stability at height to work with your hands.

If you’re depending on a lineman’s belt now to catch you in the event of a fall, you’re asking for trouble.

This seems like an eternal debate. I am guilty of sometimes climbing only with a lineman's belt and no tether, but I'm nervous about it (and I should be). If the lineman's belt were a fall restraint device, then the arborist community would not have modified it to make the various "squeeze" lanyards.

The safest you can be is a lineman's belt and tether at the same time.

I often use both while climbing as I take my time. I have shot a few over the years where I was on one of my sticks when a buck came cruising through. For those in a hurry to get to height it will probably not be popular. i take my time so it really does not bother me. The only disadvantage (beside reducing time) is that the lead gets in the way a bit when setting next stick. The plus is that it is 100% better then using just a lineman's if you fall, and the fact that you are ready to pull up your bow and shoot at any moment during set up. I seldom use my tether when descending the tree but it also just slows down the process. It probably will not be widely popular but I like using both especially for AM set ups when a buck can come walking buy at anytime - just easier for me to sit and wait for him to walk on through.

This seems like an eternal debate. I am guilty of sometimes climbing only with a lineman's belt and no tether, but I'm nervous about it (and I should be). If the lineman's belt were a fall restraint device, then the arborist community would not have modified it to make the various "squeeze" lanyards.

The safest you can be is a lineman's belt and tether at the same time.

It’s not a debate. One device is designed to help you keep balance to work hands free. One device is designed to hold your body weight at height, and in the event of a fall.

I’m not telling people to use one or the other for one task or another.

I’m simply pointing out the facts, so that people can stop lying to themselves, and make informed decisions.

It’s not a debate. One device is designed to help you keep balance to work hands free. One device is designed to hold your body weight at height, and in the event of a fall.

I’m not telling people to use one or the other for one task or another.

I’m simply pointing out the facts, so that people can stop lying to themselves, and make informed decisions.

I agree. There are videos online of tree climbers falling with a lineman's lanyard only and falling to the ground.

Also, even if the lineman's lanyard saves you, you are move likely to get hurt. You are basically counting on the tree being between your legs and sliding down until something catches. If a stick kicked out and both legs went to one side and your lanyard wasn't super tight, I think it would be ugly.

Last edited:
I haven’t read every post and this may have been mentioned already.
A linemen’s belt used properly your hands never leave the rope while it has slack in the line. The only time your hands leave the line is to do work (hang stick) once both feet are set and linemen’s rope is tight around back side of the tree and above waist level . Once the stick is secure your hands go back on the line and continue to climb. Flipping the rope up the tree as you go.
I think using sticks to climb we don’t use the belt as it was designed. If your placing your hands on the sticks to climb you will out run the rope and have slack in the rope which will fall lower than waist level which causes the safety issue.

I haven’t read every post and this may have been mentioned already.
A linemen’s belt used properly your hands never leave the rope while it has slack in the line. The only time your hands leave the line is to do work (hang stick) once both feet are set and linemen’s rope is tight around back side of the tree and above waist level . Once the stick is secure your hands go back on the line and continue to climb. Flipping the rope up the tree as you go.
I think using sticks to climb we don’t use the belt as it was designed. If your placing your hands on the sticks to climb you will out run the rope and have slack in the rope which will fall lower than waist level which causes the safety issue.

Preach

I am sitting here thinking about the days when I climbed and hunted from branches 20 foot up with zero fall restraint. I am all for safety but I also think there is a time and place for mitigated risk. Hunting from the ground is also a viable choice.... outside of that it is best for each individual to calculate their own acceptable risk and not pass judgment because some may error more to caution and some may not.

I think the older I get the more apt I am to add in additional safety precautions. I will say it again, driving during winter weather is far more of a risk factor in some areas and yet I don't see people walking to their locations during snow and ice days. I would be lying if I said I never unhook my lineman's and throw it over a branch instead of pulling out a second lineman's belt. It is a calculated risk. I feel very comfortable with my sticks, how I set them and using just a lineman's belt. But I usually do use my tether but it is more so I can sit down and let deer pass while I am climbing or to be able to pull up my bow and execute a shot from my stick. I seldom use anything but my lineman's belt for descending. Is it risky - yes probably, but I assume that risk after years of practice and familiarity with climbing with them.

No deer is worth dying or getting maimed for.... use precaution and your head and SLOW DOWN.

Thinking of using my tether over my head instead of a linesman belt when climbing with sticks. My thoughts I could hang in saddle while adding another stick and climb on. Any thoughts - Pro's - Con's. Leaning into a linesman belt ok but it seems I am always fighting to keep it up.

I use both. LB to stay stable and go hands free. Tether set above stick and connected to saddle or RC harness. I move the tether up as I go. Slows me down but is safer imho.

Back