• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether location

nlrwrangler

So how high or low do you place your teather around the tree? I am slowly figuring out this saddle thing. I have 2 hunts in just a RC harness and 1 hunt with RC harness and sit drag and now 3 hunts in a kestrel.

For me it depends on tree diameter and how far I want to be able to get around it. Usually I’m at eye height when standing on my platform. Now, I usually trade 360 degree hunting in favor of better cover.

For me it depends on tree diameter and how far I want to be able to get around it. Usually I’m at eye height when standing on my platform. Now, I usually trade 360 degree hunting in favor of better cover.
How long is your bridge and are you using s friction knot or a ropeman

I place my tether as high as i can reach.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Some say the higher the tether the more hip pinch you can experience so I guess that can be a factor. I feel like it depends on the lean of the tree as well. I feel like I go a little higher if the tree is leaning away from me.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Mine is usually eye level but I often have mine at chin level. I like to be able to remove tension off mine and move it around the tree if I desire. it is also closer to me to make tweaks to my ropeman1 (or Kong Duck) and to grab hold to assist in moving. When I used a high tether hook up I hated saddle hunting. It was uncomfortable for me, it made it very awkward balance wise to move if the tree had any lean at all to it. great thing about it is there is no right height, we find what works best for us/me/you and the way we hunt.

Last edited:
Most guys find forehead height to be pretty comfortable. It depends on a lot of factors. Start there and adjust accordingly. Also keep your bridge around 24-30 inches. That seems to be the sweet spot for most.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Somewhere around my forehead on smaller trees. When the tree gets larger and I need more tether to move around the tree I will put it at the top of my head or higher as needed.

I noticed with the kestrel I had to have a lower tether height around my chin to try and keep it from riding up. With sit drag eye level works for me 28in bridge on both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed with the kestrel I had to have a lower tether height around my chin to try and keep it from riding up. With sit drag eye level works for me 28in bridge on both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point. It's all very personal. Your hips will generally tell you pretty quickly if something is wrong with your setup.

Back