• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether out of Tubular Webbing

LarkHarrison243

Trying to reduce bulk and i was wondering if there are any friction hitches that work o webbing. With one sticking I am thinking of using a webbing tether (if possible) in place of a linemen's rope for passing branches. Any ideas/suggestions wou;d be appreciated.

It works. No idea what the math is on breaking strength. I’ve played with it at ground level. Seems solid but never used it at height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It works. No idea what the math is on breaking strength. I’ve played with it at ground level. Seems solid but never used it at height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll look into it thanks

I'll look into it thanks
Correct. I used one for half of the season while one sticking. Just have to be vigilant about keeping slack out. I would constantly pull up slack while mounting the stick...one of the reasons I got away from it and just started using my rappel line and safeguard.

With that said, I never had it "slide down" the webbing. It always stayed in place.

Last edited:
I don’t like the idea of a webbing tether while one sticking. I imagine it will be annoying in several ways.
- webbing will catch on bark much easier than rope when trying to move the tether up
- friction hitches are not as tried and true with webbing tethers (I’ve never seen one in action)
- flat webbing will be harder to grab and move up versus the round rope

I'm using the ANSI COBRA frame Release it's working good on my webbing bridge but I'm not completely shore about it? It's not really made for that i may go back to rope man 1

I don’t like the idea of a webbing tether while one sticking. I imagine it will be annoying in several ways.
- webbing will catch on bark much easier than rope when trying to move the tether up
- friction hitches are not as tried and true with webbing tethers (I’ve never seen one in action)
- flat webbing will be harder to grab and move up versus the round rope
My plan was to use it as a backup tether in place of a LB not as my primary tether so I shouldn't be moving it up and down much. If I go through with it I will test it plenty at ground level first. Thanks for showing some of the cons.

I may try to make one out of 1/4'' AmSteel instead of webbing. If I can find a good tutorial on the full bury method.

I have used a tubular webbing tether and Beal Jammy as a prussic before. It worked, but it’s a little harder to move up the tree vs a rope tether, but lighter and less bulk.
However, the webbing I used started with a 4000 lb rating and then I tied a water knot to make the loop, thereby decreasing the strength. I decided that wasn’t enough of a safety factor for my comfort level.

Back