• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether staying put

tider

I have a question for the guys who have used a platform before . With my Mantis and Predator on the way soon , I had a question about platform use.

Do you ever have the tether slip down ( where it’s girthed around the tree ) when you stand and take pressure off your saddle. I’ve read where some people make a double pass on the girth. Needed?

Opinions ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can slip, depending on the bark of the tree that you've climbed. Rough bark trees slip less, obviously. One wet morning in Virginia I was up in a Beech tree and I was certainly glad that there was nobody around me with a camera that day...
The key
at least
for me is to reduce the size of the loop on my tether to as small as possible if you don't want to double it.
It can help to have something to slide along your tether to reduce this loop size, some folks use castration bands, others use rubber bands. I have a small length of 550 cord on my tether and simply tie the hitch loop tighter after I am set in my tree; works for me.

If your tether is long enough or if the tree you are in has a small enough diameter you could always double your tether AROUND the tree (watch Treesaddle tether STRAP videos to see what I mean). Doing this will make it harder to slip, but it also reduces your ability to move the tether around the tree quietly, should the need arise.

I'm just a dude who hunts from a saddle however, there are some true experts on this site that should be able to offer better suggestions.

I use a castration band as recommended from some one on the site years ago. I’ll put one or two extra on the loop for back up Incase one pops but I never had one pop. I also hang my bow and sometimes my back pack from from my tether loop that’s wrapped around the tree. It may slide down a little bit on a smooth small tree with the backpack weight but not much.
3e5bf7316fa3c664b40ab400dff15774.jpg

Even a simple spring loaded clothes pin clipped to the tether just below the loop will keep it from loosening up enough to slide down...

All you are doing is either pinching the loop on the tether closed ie the castration band or create more surface area on the tree. You can do a double pass through the loop or wrap the tree twice with you tether for more surface area creating more drag and surface tension.

Even a simple spring loaded clothes pin clipped to the tether just below the loop will keep it from loosening up enough to slide down...

Simple and easy. I like it.

I don't generally experience my tether sliding down. I pull it nice and tight to the tree and it stays long enough form me to clip in and tighten up my Ropeman.

I have a couple nite ize ties I use to secure my climbing sticks, and my plan is to wrap one of those on the loop to cinch it, just like others are doing with the castration bands.

All good ideas

I planned on the nut bands but the nite ize would be a good multipurpose use for them.

With my luck the clothespin would pop off the tether, hit my platform & spook deer.

Could tie clothespin to tether with a little zing-it so it can hang without falling

I have a question for the guys who have used a platform before . With my Mantis and Predator on the way soon , I had a question about platform use.

Do you ever have the tether slip down ( where it’s girthed around the tree ) when you stand and take pressure off your saddle. I’ve read where some people make a double pass on the girth. Needed?

Opinions ?

Thanks

It will 'settle' after placing load on it but i've never had one 'slip' before after hanging for a while. You can easily do a double pass on the girth hitch (just bring your biner and tag end of rope through the eye of the loop twice) and that will usually lock the tether down, though I find that's usually not necessary.

Thanks , I hadn’t thought about placing something on the rope to keep it from loosening up. Good idea. My fear is it falling and spooking a deer if I momentarily take my weight off by standing instead of leaning.

I guess if you place your tether high enough , you’ll still have small amount of tension on tether when you stand?

Thanks , I hadn’t thought about placing something on the rope to keep it from loosening up. Good idea. My fear is it falling and spooking a deer if I momentarily take my weight off by standing instead of leaning.

I guess if you place your tether high enough , you’ll still have small amount of tension on tether when you stand?

I think you need to play with your tether a bit so you can understand how it actually performs. It will not 'loosen up' just because you take a little load off it. If it does, you probably don't have it tight enough around the tree to begin with. When you place load on the tether it cinches up very tight to the tree. You would need to reach up and loosen it with your hands to get it to slip after placing load on it.

I have been using a carabiner on the eye of my tether to make it easy when using as the secondary linesmen belt. When used as a tether the weight of the carabiner pulls the eye loose. Wanting to leave the carabiner on, I think using a nite eyez tie will keep it in place and provide a place to hang the range finder. I’ll try it and report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think you need to play with your tether a bit so you can understand how it actually performs. It will not 'loosen up' just because you take a little load off it. If it does, you probably don't have it tight enough around the tree to begin with. When you place load on the tether it cinches up very tight to the tree. You would need to reach up and loosen it with your hands to get it to slip after placing load on it.

If you have a platform or run a hybrid saddle/treestand setup you take the weight off the tether from time to time, and yes it can slip down if you don't use one of these methods to cinch it up.

If you have a platform or run a hybrid saddle/treestand setup you take the weight off the tether from time to time, and yes it can slip down if you don't use one of these methods to cinch it up.

I have never had this happen on me, and just don't see how it would happen unless your tether is very loosely looped around the tree to begin with.

Back