• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethered in Petersen's Bowhunting Equipment Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern would be from a safety aspect. while ive never had a mishap in a saddle if you are not cautious a person can still fall if not knowledgable in climbing and knots. however in the positive light, more awareness and participation can lead to new and innovated products in climbing and saddle gear.

Yeah if some one fails to be safe in a saddle they are very likely not safe with whatever other method they use and are prone to an "accident" either way. I just hope if/when it happens they are a big enough person to admit fault and not blame the equipment.

I grew up hunting wooden stands that we "inspected" by adding barn spikes. Then never used a harness with climbers or hang-ons until... a friend fell, almost died and now can barely talk. I'm new to the saddle but honestly am safer than ever (been a mobile stand guy for awhile and used a harness but never a linesmans.) I think taking more treestand guys out of their comfort zone will force them to be more cautious and slow down because it's so different. Once people realize how being safe is actually more efficient their minds will be blown.

My concern would be from a safety aspect. while ive never had a mishap in a saddle if you are not cautious a person can still fall if not knowledgable in climbing and knots. however in the positive light, more awareness and participation can lead to new and innovated products in climbing and saddle gear.
I GUARANTEE someone is going to get hurt bad in the near future. People do stupid stuff and it is going to get worse as saddle hunting grows. I know that someone fell earlier this year when switching between 2 trunks on a tree while climbing. I have seen people ask about using paracord and talk about using home depot rope amongst other things. It is only a matter of time.

[QUOTE="cb750, post: 184972, member: 2457" I just hope if/when it happens they are a big enough person to admit fault and not blame the equipment.[/QUOTE]

If enough people get into it, people will get hurt. If enough saddles are made, some will be defective. It's just going to happen. But bad equipment or not, disability and death have a way of making folks lawyer up. Right or wrong, folks do what they have to when stakes are high.

Just the way the world goes 'round.

The bottom line is safety is each person’s responsibility. Every ladder stand and climber manufactured today comes with a safety harness. I would estimate that 50% of those harnesses go unused. Your right someone will get hurt,people are stupid, that’s why McDonalds coffee has to be marked HOT. But this should not discourage Tethrd from moving forward and try to make saddles main stream. congratulations guys, you deserve the press

The bottom line is safety is each person’s responsibility. Every ladder stand and climber manufactured today comes with a safety harness. I would estimate that 50% of those harnesses go unused. Your right someone will get hurt,people are stupid, that’s why McDonalds coffee has to be marked HOT. But this should not discourage Tethrd from moving forward and try to make saddles main stream. congratulations guys, you deserve the press
I'm a caveat emptor kinda guy, but there's a flip side to every coin. Yes, manufacurers supply safety equipment. I think many will agree that it's laughable compared to what other industries use, or what we personally choose. Marginal. And they didn't provide that until...they were sued!

Corporations do shady stuff and sometimes just make honest mistakes. Sometimes those honest mistakes still kill folks. Regarding the McDonald's coffee incident:

https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

Two sides to every coin.

Everybody be safe, do your due diligence, and remember that life isn't fair and nobody is guaranteeing your tomorrow!

I GUARANTEE someone is going to get hurt bad in the near future. People do stupid stuff and it is going to get worse as saddle hunting grows. I know that someone fell earlier this year when switching between 2 trunks on a tree while climbing. I have seen people ask about using paracord and talk about using home depot rope amongst other things. It is only a matter of time.
Exactly how I think! As long as they’re asking all’s good. But there’s always one who knew better or has a excess of testosterone.

I'm a caveat emptor kinda guy, but there's a flip side to every coin. Yes, manufacurers supply safety equipment. I think many will agree that it's laughable compared to what other industries use, or what we personally choose. Marginal. And they didn't provide that until...they were sued!

Corporations do shady stuff and sometimes just make honest mistakes. Sometimes those honest mistakes still kill folks. Regarding the McDonald's coffee incident:

https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

Two sides to every coin.

Everybody be safe, do your due diligence, and remember that life isn't fair and nobody is guaranteeing your tomorrow!
I would not argue any of those points! As far as the McD’s analogy it was only to show if there is a warning label it’s because someone has done it. Maybe not intentionally but it has happened. It says on moth balls “do not eat”! The smell of those things is not appetizing but somebody somewhere ate one! Then there are the Tide Pods... enough said. I just wouldn’t want to be held back if I was marketing a product due to fear of misuse. Products are misused every day.

To a certain extent I agree, but it is also a manufacturer's responsibility to deliver a product which is "safe"(I hate using that word) and use components each of which have been tested specifically for the situation they are being used for as well as provide specs and information to the consumer so they can make an informed decision and mitigate their own risk. It is also imperative for the resources to be available for a consumer to understand and be provided information as to what certain components of a product or system are not.

If they are not provided clear instruction on how to or not to properly use every component and precise data as to strength, failure, etc, how can the consumer be held responsible? They would in that situation been using the product "as advertised" i.e. with no limitations.

It is conversations and questions like these that in my mind always seem to bring up the validity of the application of components such as aluminum "g-hooks" for leg loops, amsteel in general, non-rated biners and rings for prusik tenders, or the general use of plastic buckles on a commercially produced product available to the masses. None of these were designed for the uses which we often see them applied in the SH community. I think there is a pretty solid reason Trophyline always "over-built" their gear and Aerohunter seems to do the same thing ...

I just wouldn’t want to be held back if I was marketing a product due to fear of misuse. Products are misused every day.
Yup. I'm sure that the cost of climbing gear reflects the fact that manufacturers are doing their due diligence and purchasing insurance for when statistics happens. It's just like climbing trees. You do your thing, you try your best, and you know in the back of your mind that it could happen to you too.

Yup. I'm sure that the cost of climbing gear reflects the fact that manufacturers are doing their due diligence and purchasing insurance for when statistics happens. It's just like climbing trees. You do your thing, you try your best, and you know in the back of your mind that it could happen to you too.

... AND TESTING. You spend the money on good climbing gear because you know the #1 Black diamond stopper the size of your pinky nail is going to hold when you fall 20' on it because it is held to meticulous manufacturing, testing, and storing standards. Manufacturers whom are in an industry which people rely on their gear for safety and trust their life to it HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY to test and manufacture their gear to those extremely high standards. Any failures, especially under intended use, should trigger a prompt recall and rework of the product. People's lives depend on their due-diligence, integrity, and follow through; period.

This is definitely a good discussion guys,--but I just caught myself going OT. Exposure is going to have a whole lotta impact on Saddlehunting, and that might be a good thread in itself. Lets stick to the petersen's bowhunting article with this one :)

Has anyone read or seen it yet? what's the focus?

Saddle hunting done right is as safe as driving your car to hunt public land.
The problem occurs when you drive a car improperly or saddle hunt improperly or just get careless or make a honest mistake Things happen. Some one will get hurt some day unfortunately. Hopefully they take some personal responsibility and don’t sue somebody.
I fell once. An improperly closed rated carabiner. My fault. No more than bruises. I double check every carabiner now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back