• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd Mantis Mod

Aford1518

I bought my mantis saddle back when they came out and I don't have any issues other than now with all the newer saddles coming out of course there's better ways of doing things sorta speak. I've been trying to run with a lighter setup. The latitude method comes out with this metal free saddle and thats where I'm on the fence. My question is, should I just spend the money on the method or has anyone tried to mod out the mantis to go metal free? I get that the mantis buckle isn't that heavy but its just been a thought in my mind that now I can't shake.

I posted on this thread photos of the whoopie-sling belt I did. Still haven't gotten around to posting a "how-to"... maybe some day.

Obviously, with any mod safety first. And if not, assume responsibility for your actions.

You could do this without D-rings and tri-glides by sewing the extra waist strap back on itself to form the loop, but I was going for non-permanent. Plus I read somewhere that looping amsteel thru webbing material is bad for the amsteel, so I wanted smooth aluminum D-rings.

That said, initially I tried this by locked bremmel to the hip leg strap loop, then the adjustable end thru the other hip leg strap loop. I just left the buckle on to test it out. And I did so with 7/64" amsteel.

The whoopie belt is rock solid, and after about 10 sits with it, I can almost loosen it one handed, but it stays tight for miles!

Careful not to draw the loop all the way down, it can be a real pain to undo at that point. (The point of no return) you don't want to pull the amsteel into itself, if that makes sense?

My mantis is a medium. Im 6'1", 185lbs, 32-34 waist.

My buddy is about 5'10", 210lbs and has a large mantis. The whoopie belt worked for him as well.

If your're slim and try it in street clothes, the adjustable loop may get close to the point of no return. Once you put some layers on, there's plenty of loop. My buddy has a belly, and he did not have that issue at all coming close to the point of no return.

You could also do a "utilibrige belt" if you don't trust the safety of the whoopie-sling.

Man I like this idea a lot and I might give it a try. Thanks for that!

I was even thinking of using the eyes of the webbing that is already sewn in, the high leg loop strap eye. I was going to try passing and/or forcing a 8mm rope through each of those eyes with a stopper knot, then attaching each rope with an adjustable hitch to find the sweet spot. With whatever side you prefer the adjustments being made left or right to have the pile of knots and a longer tag end to.

Idk if thats even possible though...in theory it seems like it would work. I'm not even sure if 8mm would pass through those eyes or if they would hold up under stress of being used in that matter. I'll just need to play around with a few things.

Hell, I may be way out in left field with this one but with the increasing popularity with saddles would it be to crazy the see one of those big name companies come out with a fully integrated "hunting saddle pants"? Having the saddle built into the pants!! Maybe even a vest or jacket with back brace or support band built in as well. Shark tank?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

You're welcome, glad to help when I can.

Thats how I initially tried the whoopie belt. Thru the upper (hip) leg strap loops. Thats where I hook the leg straps so I didn't want to leave it connected there, but if you don't use the leg straps or use the loops down toward the thigh/butt for your legs straps I say go for it. At least to try it out, because I did have to cut the sewn ends off to get the buckle off.

I have my bridge adjustment on the right cuz I'm right handed. So the tag end of my whoopie belt hangs on the left, that way I know what tag end I'm grabbing, bridge or belt.

Yup, had that same idea. I think its only a matter of time.

Like I've said, if I think it, someone else has probably already done it!:D

I think I read in a thread about saddle comfort, specifically about "riding up", someone mentioned saddlepants.

Trademark that name and pitch that to Scentlok!

Back