• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd Menace First Sit

Ryan0794

Just got the new Tethrd menace in the mail yesterday and figured I would do a review or my thoughts on it since I couldn't find much feed back on it. To start I am 5'08" 145lbs so not a big guy but I consider myself a sitter. I've hunted out of the mantis since 2018 and I did like mantis only issue I had with it is it always rode up no matter how I had my tether set and how tight I had the leg straps. After my first sit in the menace I noticed a big improvement. I did a 4 hour set with no issues at all. It does cup more than mantis without a doubt, I would say it has a similar feel to the original kestrel. I have sat in a flex as well and its not quite as comfortable as the flex but a good bit lighter and a improvement over the mantis. I will note I do run an extra lineman's rope and prusik as an adjustable bridge and prefer it longer to lessen hip pinch while sitting and shorten it when I'm leaning. Hope this helps someone make a decision on the purchase.

PROS:
More Cup Under Legs
Solid Panel Seems To Give More Warmth In Colder Weather.
Good Quality Construction
All My Sys Haulers And Attachments Worked Well From Mantis
Nicer Waist Buckle

CONS:
No Adjustable Bridge Option
Didn't Come With More Tethrd Stickers.

Last edited:
What is the angle on the menace? I can immediately see the phantom versus the mantis but other than the fabric I am less sure what sets the menace apart.

What is the angle on the menace? I can immediately see the phantom versus the mantis but other than the fabric I am less sure what sets the menace apart.
There isn’t much angle to the menace at all, that’s why I believe it doesn’t tend to ride up like the mantis. If you were mainly a leaner I feel it would put more pressure on the back of your legs compared to the phantom.

I’m sorry buddy, I really mean what’s the marketing angle. Is that it, something a bit different on geometry?

The angle on the menace vs phantom is the menace is $180 and comes in 3 sizes to fit more people. The phantom is $250 only comes in 1 size.

Oh that makes sense. I never saw anything on exactly what was happening there other than getting on their site one day and seeing the menace there. I was honesty surprised since the phantom marketing was fairly strong and I had heard nothing.

Oh that makes sense. I never saw anything on exactly what was happening there other than getting on their site one day and seeing the menace there. I was honesty surprised since the phantom marketing was fairly strong and I had heard nothing.
Yeah I never really saw anything either until I was on their sight to get a predator pack. After getting it it’s pretty decent saddle for the money . Hard to find anything of quality cheaper than that now a-days . With a few diy changes I think it will be a super comfortable.

Ryan0794,

The Treehopper Recon is only $150 and comes with a dump pouch. It is made in the USA and is a two panel system. It is a modern version of the Anderson sling.

Ryan0794, arm breaker,

According to the Tethrd's FAQ regarding manufacturing, only the Phantom saddle of all of their saddles is made in the US. They must have shipped the Mantis manufacturing overseas without notifying customers of the change. The second and fourth pictures on the Mantis saddle page show pictures of the Mantis with the American flag still sewn on it. Seems that if they moved manufacturing of the Mantis overseas, they should have removed or replaced those pictures. I can see how some would find that confusing.

How are you making your saddles?
We’ve partnered with several US manufacturers and overseas factories to build our products. The Phantom saddle, and both Predator platforms are designed, engineered, manufactured, tested, and inspected on American soil. Other products and accessories are designed, engineered, and tested in America. The manufacturing is done with our overseas partners. We only work with state-of-the-art facilities to ensure first class construction methods and quality control.

That's a shame ☹️.
China does/ can do great work, the problem is as soon as us inspectors leave they start cutting corners.

Back