• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd one stick gen 4: chamfer the cleat lock inner edges

raisins

SH Member
Hopefully a tethrd person sees this and passes along

I’ll do this to mine but wish it was done at factory before anodizing

All the edges should be chamfered/tumbled

I inspected closely and every hunt so far has left a frayed spot on the amsteel where it dug

I’ve used them 5 times this season and every one has 5 frayed spots

Sure enough, felt the inside of the 4 little Us that the cord goes in….straight 90 and sharp

There’s no reason for that since they don’t lock in by digging a sharp edge

I’ll chamfer and maybe buy new ropes

Probably paracord wrapped in fine sandpaper will work well as a chamfer

Keep an eye on this

I’m using 7/64 and I think it will dig the 1/8 the same but you have more to lose before it is compromised…the squeeze of the thicker cord might make this better or worse

Last edited:
My only complaint. I have the same frayed spots. Not replacing anything. Just gotta work them in I’m sure.

My only complaint. I have the same frayed spots. Not replacing anything. Just gotta work them in I’m sure.

Glad I’m not the only one

Pretty big oversight, how could the tethrd team not see that in their use over several seasons?

Those cleats are anodized which makes them hard enough to scratch glass (ask me how I know lol)

I don’t think the amsteel will ever wear that edge down but hopefully I’m wrong

Glad I’m not the only one

Pretty big oversight, how could the “team” not see that in their use over several seasons?

Those cleats are anodized which makes them hard enough to scratch glass (ask me how I know lol)

I don’t think the amsteel will ever wear that edge down but hopefully I’m wrong
I’m not going to make a mod but I’m disappointed. They dig but I’m about 40 hours of sits in. I’m only on each one for what? 30 seconds? Sure I’m fine. Maybe if I asked they’ll send me new though.

Do you have a picture of the damaged amsteel? I haven’t noticed anything too major but just last evening after a hunt, one of the larger diameter “ends” of the OG ropes looked a little stressed. Not sure if that’s what you’re referring to or not? I used them all last half of last season and twice this season….. probably 10-12 sits.

Last edited:
I don’t have that problem. I would contact them. They might replace the sticks for you.

Could it be more tied to the factory ropes being on the cheap side? Aren't many using the ones for RDA?

Could it be more tied to the factory ropes being on the cheap side? Aren't many using the ones for RDA?

That’s a plausible conclusion. The stock ropes I had frayed from the bark on the tree.

Same as Enkriss. I have no fraying from the cleat. My steps however were razor blades.

Same as Enkriss. I have no fraying from the cleat. My steps however were razor blades.

I tried using Amsteel aiders on my bottom 2 sticks and the step cut half way through after a dozen climbs. I won’t be using Amsteel. I also see my backwoods mobile moveable single step getting some pulls and small cuts in the webbing. I think it was Jerry Gross posted putting kydex over the steps to protect the aider. Might try that

Do you have a picture of the damaged amsteel? I haven’t noticed anything too major but just last evening after a hunt, one of the larger diameter “ends” of the OG ropes looked a little stressed. Not sure if that’s what you’re referring to or not? I used them all last half of last season and twice this season….. probably 10-12 sits.

It isn’t major fraying yet, looks like a bowstring that is fuzzy and you might be ready to replace

No strands have been cut

I ll post a pic later

I tried using Amsteel aiders on my bottom 2 sticks and the step cut half way through after a dozen climbs. I won’t be using Amsteel. I also see my backwoods mobile moveable single step getting some pulls and small cuts in the webbing. I think it was Jerry Gross posted putting kydex over the steps to protect the aider. Might try that

I wish the parts all went in a tumbler

My aider system has 3/16 amsteel contacting the step, I went ahead and chamfered all contact points with sandpaper

I’m trying this, no deployments / hunts yet this year though.
810A7849-DB46-4137-A32D-33417192AE8E.jpeg

I use Amsteel aiders on mine. Where the aiders go on the steps I used small pieces of stealth stripping to add a protective layer. My aiders are attached permanently and when not in use are held closed/compact by shock cord I tied off through where the bottom orange attachment pins used to be before I drilled them out. Then shock cord goes up over the folded up aider and attaches to the little keeper button that holds my Amsteel rope for the stick itself. 20ish climbs with them and no issues.

Back