• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd one stick

Redoak47*

How high do you guys get with 4Tethrd one sticks and no Aiders? Thinking of buying 4 sticks while on sale. I figured maybe 12 feet.TIA

I traded for three a few weeks ago and so far I like them.... a lot. I just ordered one more while on sale. I hunted once with them and using a three step continuous loop aider from EWO (15" step spacing) I was easily at 12' to 14' and that was placing my next stick at mid thigh then at just above knee for the final one and I put a pursuit platform at about 8" above that. I think three with just three 24" GT Climbing continuous loops with the @SloMo devised and @boyne bowhunter tested and recommended (and also by me), aiders. You could likely get 16' or thereabouts give or take.

I got mine Black Friday. I have used them a few times now. I actually love them. But am tempted to to get a 4th one. I get about 14 feet with a 2 step aider on the bottom stick.

I started with 4, then got a BWMG GC 1 3 step aider then not living the aider added a 5th stick. Weight wise, carrying 5 is about equivalent to carrying 2 of any other stick and I don’t have to deal with aiders. I do still carry the 3 step and will use it on the bottom stick if I feel 5 still won’t be high enough for the situation.

Depends upon how high you can comfortably step. I used to really stretch my between stick distance (like 3 feet between sticks with no aider), but I wasn't climbing safely doing this. I was letting my lineman's lanyard go slack (with my tether in play though above) and using both arms on my stick to pull up while I leaned back. Doing it the safer way, I can only get 24" step length comfortably. Then the math tells you since you know the length between the stick's steps (17 inches).

(24+17+24+17+24+17+24+17+24)/12 = 15.67 feet (for my 24 inch step example adding a 24 inch step from last stick to platform)

I think it is easier and safer to use a 1 step aider on each stick (I use a carry as you go aider) and then cut the step distance between sticks to 20 inches. Then each stick is 40 inches apart because it is 20 inches to aider and 20 inches from aider to bottom step. This really helps you get higher up the tree.

Last edited:
I use 3 step aider on the first stick to get ~ 18 feet (4 sticks) without stretching. Using aiders to decline in the dark is dangerous -imo. I have tried 1, 2, 3 step aiders and they all suck declining. Using a 3 step on the first step is the only option for me. I'm about 7 feet at the top of my first step.

I traded for three a few weeks ago and so far I like them.... a lot. I just ordered one more while on sale. I hunted once with them and using a three step continuous loop aider from EWO (15" step spacing) I was easily at 12' to 14' and that was placing my next stick at mid thigh then at just above knee for the final one and I put a pursuit platform at about 8" above that. I think three with just three 24" GT Climbing continuous loops with the @SloMo devised and @boyne bowhunter tested and recommended (and also by me), aiders. You could likely get 16' or thereabouts give or take.

Do you have a link to this part handy (below)? I was devising my own method but might as well not reinvent the wheel or at least learn from other ideas. thanks

"three 24" GT Climbing continuous loops with the @SloMo devised and @boyne bowhunter tested and recommended (and also by me), aiders"

I use 3 step aider on the first stick to get ~ 18 feet (4 sticks) without stretching. Using aiders to decline in the dark is dangerous -imo. I have tried 1, 2, 3 step aiders and they all suck declining. Using a 3 step on the first step is the only option for me. I'm about 7 feet at the top of my first step.

If you use an aider that you can grab while standing on the bottom step (or use a carry as you go aider), then you can pull the aider up to you, put your foot in it, then push down with your foot while you hold tension to keep the aider on your foot. That way, you aren't fishing around for it. Same works when climbing up (put aider on foot, then attach aider (pulling foot up with you) if it is a detachable carry as you go style). Took several climbs before I happened upon doing this by accident.

Do you have a link to this part handy (below)? I was devising my own method but might as well not reinvent the wheel or at least learn from other ideas. thanks

"three 24" GT Climbing continuous loops with the @SloMo devised and @boyne bowhunter tested and recommended (and also by me), aiders"

@SloMo's DIY Video. I love this mod for my aiders.

Here ya go!!! He also has links to the loops. BTW, get the 48" to make an openable bridge for your saddle too!!

I always say GT Climbing, its GM!!! Like General Motors. sorry!!

I added a castration band to each one of the aiders to keep them on each stick.

How high do you guys get with 4Tethrd one sticks and no Aiders? Thinking of buying 4 sticks while on sale. I figured maybe 12 feet.TIA
Unpopular opinions incoming…If you’re not going to use aiders why go for such an expensive and short stick? I’d go for a 3-step option from Novix or XOP or something like that, if hunting height is of any concern to you. Hunting at 12’ for several hundred dollars (even on sale) is a total rip-off IMO, when for a couple extra pounds and way less dollars you can get 18’+ with 3 or 4 sticks depending on your own height. I find aiders to be a nuisance on anything other than the bottom stick, and I find it ridiculous to use short sticks for a high price if all you’re going to do is mod them to make them functional or pay out your rear end to hunt just over head height.

With the backwoods Tethrd versaaider that clips to the top step I get 6-6.5 ft a stick. I do stretch quite a bit between sticks however

how does it clip to top of tethrd one stick?
Got a pic?

If you use an aider that you can grab while standing on the bottom step (or use a carry as you go aider), then you can pull the aider up to you, put your foot in it, then push down with your foot while you hold tension to keep the aider on your foot. That way, you aren't fishing around for it. Same works when climbing up (put aider on foot, then attach aider (pulling foot up with you) if it is a detachable carry as you go style). Took several climbs before I happened upon doing this by accident.

I have a detachable aider, I use the G-C-ONE Aider from Backwoods Mobile Gear. Your suggestion sounds promising, I will try it tomorrow.

how does it clip to top of tethrd one stick?
Got a pic?
Right on the ends where it bends up. I'll use the 3 step for my first stick and only my first to get around 7.5 ft from the get go. Then 6ft for every stick afterwards. However when I account for heavier clothes worn hunting it'll probably be closer to 5-5.5ft a stick. Depending on how things go I may add a fifth stick down the line. I just about strictly mtn hunt now and sometimes I need to be 25 up just to see the bench behind and below me 1000017152.jpg1000017151.jpg

Right on the ends where it bends up. I'll use the 3 step for my first stick and only my first to get around 7.5 ft from the get go. Then 6ft for every stick afterwards. However when I account for heavier clothes worn hunting it'll probably be closer to 5-5.5ft a stick. Depending on how things go I may add a fifth stick down the line. I just about strictly mtn hunt now and sometimes I need to be 25 up just to see the bench behind and below me View attachment 78808View attachment 78809

thanks, i appreciate it

i think i've looked at those before, but wasn't putting 2 and 2 together

i might try them out now

Man, I admit up front I’m not a sticks guy, but it seems like a swaider with 2 hooks at the top would be great for the ONE sticks given the design of the step. Just put one hook over each side of the top step and since it‘s attached to your foot, you never have to search for the step on the way down. What am I missing?

Back