• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd Predator or Wild Edge Perch

I don’t think I’ve seen a more thorough review. Very well done!

Tethrd-Ginger Ninja/Fire Crotch Fiddler

That's unfortunate because I have a perch on the way so hopefully I disagree with you lol. Thanks for the thorough review. Good video

That's unfortunate because I have a perch on the way so hopefully I disagree with you lol. Thanks for the thorough review. Good video
Don’t get me wrong it’s a very good platform.. but no leveling feature.. that’s the only downside ..

Good comparison Mark! I couldn't get my Perch or WE stepps to stay tight with the factory rope. Once I switched over to 1/4" amsteel, I have been happy. The only movement I experience is due to digging into the bark, but not as much as you showed. Also as you mentioned, to make the knot easier to untie, I use the method where I pull a loop through instead of the entire rope on the last part of the knot. I almost had to cut it off the first try using the std knot with amsteel!

John H.

Nice job. kind of what I figured but good to see someone verify it. I have had Stepps loosen up too many times on soft ark or irregular barked trees

Hello all, well I did a side by side comparison of the Tethrd Predator and the Wild Edge Perch. They are both really good platforms, but I know which one I will be using in the woods this season.

Great Job Mark, I use the Jim Step Steps and really couldnt come to grips with the functionality of WEI Perch. I knew the step and perch would have some play since they are separate pieces. Thats a challenge WE needs to evaluate for sure. The predator plateform is by far a superior landing spot for saddle hunters. The fact the platform has a good range of adjustability and cams into the tree was for me personally the platform of choice. Certainly the WEI perch is a bit premature for the market I believe, but I do believe Wild Edge will come out with another version that will marvel the competition. That being said your video here should really help those trying to make up their minds. I mentioned in the past the DIY'ers are going to innovate plenty of new products related to saddle hunting, anyway great job
May the Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

Check your wild edge knot !
Hard to explain but on your second wrap should not go over the tubing and rope! Go between the rope and tubing. Much easier to tight and loosen. I made the same mistake till I watched a vid closer

Watched last night and is a through side-by-side comparison of platforms. Showing dimensions and a couple different attachment locations. Definitely setting the standard for all future evaluations.

Yeah he did an excellent job out of all the videos I’ve watched about the W-E steps im not very impressed seems like ya have to get the just right every time then when you add the perch just to much movement with 2 different peices. Mark has alot of good videos. Look him up on YouTube and subscribe

Hello all, well I did a side by side comparison of the Tethrd Predator and the Wild Edge Perch. They are both really good platforms, but I know which one I will be using in the woods this season.

Mark thanks for great review. Being new to saddle hunting trying to absorb as much info as I can. I've ordered the we steps ,haven't received yet. Maybe next month. Watching you trying to untie them the tree, don't know if I should have ordered them. You seem to have a hard time with the knot especially with strain on it. I can see problems with that especially when cold with gloves and your experienced doing it.

Check your wild edge knot !
Hard to explain but on your second wrap should not go over the tubing and rope! Go between the rope and tubing. Much easier to tight and loosen. I made the same mistake till I watched a vid closer
Yes I went over rather than under...Doing it the other way does make it easier to loosen.. I'm going to do an upclose video of the knot... I know it didn't effect the review, but being able to get the knot undone easier is worth it...I also tried today a loop in the knot which made it easier to get the over knot undone... As u know going over pinches the rope in 2 areas, whereas going under pinches the rope in one area... Thanks for watching the video.

Last edited:
Mark thanks for great review. Being new to saddle hunting trying to absorb as much info as I can. I've ordered the we steps ,haven't received yet. Maybe next month. Watching you trying to untie them the tree, don't know if I should have ordered them. You seem to have a hard time with the knot especially with strain on it. I can see problems with that especially when cold with gloves and your experienced doing it.

Yodan,
When I tied that knot I went over the rope rather than under...If u go under the knot comes loose easier because the rope is only pinched in one area...if u go under like I did, the rope is pinched in 2 areas... they are both secure and cam the same. I also just tried going under with a loop left which made it easy to get the knot undone by pulling the loose end. The steps are really well made and are awesome... U will enjoy them.. there is a learning curve but they work well.

Yodan,
When I tied that knot I went over the rope rather than under...If u go under the knot comes loose easier because the rope is only pinched in one area...if u go under like I did, the rope is pinched in 2 areas... they are both secure and cam the same. I also just tried going under with a loop left which made it easy to get the knot undone by pulling the loose end. The steps are really well made and are awesome... U will enjoy them.. there is a learning curve but they work well.
Mark- Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming that when I get the WE steps that they will come an illustration of tying the knot. A video would be nice if you are going to make one. I'm in no rush because I'm at least a month or more from getting them. I do like the idea that Bwhana added about using a loop to finish off the knot. Lot easier to pull the loop to loosen the knot if it's cold dark and inclement weather. And you're in a hurry to get back to camp or vehicle. You don't want to fight a knot.

Mark- Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming that when I get the WE steps that they will come an illustration of tying the knot. A video would be nice if you are going to make one. I'm in no rush because I'm at least a month or more from getting them. I do like the idea that Bwhana added about using a loop to finish off the knot. Lot easier to pull the loop to loosen the knot if it's cold dark and inclement weather. And you're in a hurry to get back to camp or vehicle. You don't want to fight a knot.

There’s no real fighting a knot, un-cam, push the tag end towards to “knot” and it comes loose and pulls through simple. I like the idea of the loop for sure, I also love boyne city way to tie and untie the knot. It’s posted here somewhere but it makes it quicker and even easier. It may take a few times to get used to the process but with a little patience and practice most guys that I know love WE stepps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s no real fighting a knot, un-cam, push the tag end towards to “knot” and it comes loose and pulls through simple. I like the idea of the loop for sure, I also love boyne city way to tie and untie the knot. It’s posted here somewhere but it makes it quicker and even easier. It may take a few times to get used to the process but with a little patience and practice most guys that I know love WE stepps!

+1 for the boyne city way to tie and untie the knot.

I like wild edge steps. I have steps, sticks, hand climber, bolts, screw in steps, and srt. They each have their place but when I’m heading off into the unknown I take the steps. I used them as a climbing system and platform exclusively my first year in the saddle. One thing I learned is a loose step used for climbing is ok. One that wiggles a little for a platform is going to be floppy by the end of a hunt. That’s why I don’t have the perch. I experimented with the plywood platform and that had me thinking what you just showed. When you stepped down to retighten you could have gotten it tighter but there is no way around the standoffs sinking into the bark and the amount of leverage you add with the platform. It will work. It will be really great on some trees. I just don’t restrict myself to some trees.

I like wild edge steps. I have steps, sticks, hand climber, bolts, screw in steps, and srt. They each have their place but when I’m heading off into the unknown I take the steps. I used them as a climbing system and platform exclusively my first year in the saddle. One thing I learned is a loose step used for climbing is ok. One that wiggles a little for a platform is going to be floppy by the end of a hunt. That’s why I don’t have the perch. I experimented with the plywood platform and that had me thinking what you just showed. When you stepped down to retighten you could have gotten it tighter but there is no way around the standoffs sinking into the bark and the amount of leverage you add with the platform. It will work. It will be really great on some trees. I just don’t restrict myself to some trees.

I agree with u... and my thoughts put the Perch design on a post like the Predator (w/adjustability) and I think u have a winner.

Back