• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd Predator platform strap buckle issue

huntin_addict

Anyone else having an issue with the buckle "locking up" on the strap for their Predator? After I set the platform it's rock solid, however, when I'm done and go to release the tension, I'm having a heck of a time getting the buckle to release. Had this issue when I took the Predator to TN on a hunt, but it was unseasonably cold and I figured maybe it iced up. However, I hung today for about an hour and it was about 55 degrees and it locked up. What I ended up doing is folding up the platform and had to yank on the tag end as if to tighten on the tree and it finally freed up the release mechanism. Anyone else having this issue or did have and fixed? If so what was your fix? Thanks

Never had that happen. I know that buckle has a lot of tension on it when the platform is tightened up. I usually fold up the platform to give the strap slack and then use the buckle to listen it up enough to get the strap end off the button. Are you folding the platform up before you try to loosen the buckle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a Predator, but I've had this happen with a Lone Wolf strap. Usually a sharp, crisp whack on the buckle release with your palm will slack it enough so that you can loosen the strap. Try that...

Never had that happen. I know that buckle has a lot of tension on it when the platform is tightened up. I usually fold up the platform to give the strap slack and then use the buckle to listen it up enough to get the strap end off the button. Are you folding the platform up before you try to loosen the buckle?

Yes I fold it up but there is so much tension on the release mechanism I can't push it in with both hands. Have to pull the tag end of the strap, HARD, to basically spring the release.

Yes I fold it up but there is so much tension on the release mechanism I can't push it in with both hands. Have to pull the tag end of the strap, HARD, to basically spring the release.

Hmm. Might have to carry a small hammer with you. Lol JK
Try smacking it with the palm of your hand like suggested above.

Had the same problem, talked to Ernie at saddlepalooza and he said they were going to replace that buckle. I just use a LW buckle and toe hook they platform in if it needs it.

You can play around with different buckles. a longer release button helps and gives you more leverage. Otherwise, something like a versatrap will eliminate that issue.

Shawn

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Has nothing to do with the temperature. I live in NC where its hardly ever cold and I get this same issue from time to time. I dont own a predator but my cam strap on my platform does the same thing. Its due to the tension on the strap that the cam over action creates. All you gotta do is when your taking your platform down, fold the platform up and now raise the entire platform post and all up the tree about 3-4 inches. That will release the strap tension and the buckle will let go when you press the button.

Those are all good statements above. If it’s still stick after you induce slack into the system tighten the strap a little more. It’s hard to imagine you getting it that tight. Are you toe hooking? If so you shouldn’t have to with the strap.

Has nothing to do with the temperature. I live in NC where its hardly ever cold and I get this same issue from time to time. I dont own a predator but my cam strap on my platform does the same thing. Its due to the tension on the strap that the cam over action creates. All you gotta do is when your taking your platform down, fold the platform up and now raise the entire platform post and all up the tree about 3-4 inches. That will release the strap tension and the buckle will let go when you press the button.
This is what I do, except it doesn't release the tension on the buckle. I have to yank that sucker, HARD, to get it to release. The buckle on the predator strap is pretty small as compared to a LW strap, the mechanism jams up when I cam the platform over and I can't get the same leverage with the release "button" on the predator strap as I can on a LW strap.

Last edited:
Those are all good statements above. If it’s still stick after you induce slack into the system tighten the strap a little more. It’s hard to imagine you getting it that tight. Are you toe hooking? If so you shouldn’t have to with the strap.
Not toe hooking, although I do cam it over twice by hand before stepping onto the platform. I guess I'll try only camming over once.

You can play around with different buckles. a longer release button helps and gives you more leverage. Otherwise, something like a versatrap will eliminate that issue.

Shawn

Both of these are very good suggestions and I considered both options, however, I figured for the amount spent on the predator I shouldn't have to spend more to upgrade the strap to a more user friendly buckle. I may swap it with a LW strap for the time being.

Thanks

Both of these are very good suggestions and I considered both options, however, I figured for the amount spent on the predator I shouldn't have to spend more to upgrade the strap to a more user friendly buckle. I may swap it with a LW strap for the time being.

Thanks
That is a valid point but please consider it is difficult to please everyone in this department. Some people like a small, lightweight buckle. Others like a larger, heavier buckle with more leverage. Some like the versa-straps over the buckles. I appreciate the feedback and will pass it on. Rest assured, we are always looking for better "universal" options.

Where in NC?

This is exactly what I do

The toe hold cam over really locks it tight to the tree with more tension than u could do with a hand pull, but I just fold and slide it a couple inches to get slack

I switched to a versalite strap, so far I like it better than a buckle strap..... but I haven't got a lot of hunting time in it yet

The best solution on that situation is to lift the platform to take the tension off then give the tail a good jerk while pushing on the button.

It doesn't happen every time but I have seen it happen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I do, however, I really have to yank on the tail end. Like a 2 handed 230 lb human being pulling on the tail end. I wouldn't think I'm doing something wrong setting the platform, I don't toe hook to set the predator, but I do cam it over twice by hand.

Back