• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd XL vs LWCG Ambush

DanielB89

I have had the Ambush since in came out and have really enjoyed it. I love the extra size of the ambush but wanted to give the XL a try. On paper they're close, but the XL is a little smaller.

Ambush is 16.5 x 14.5
XL is 16.25 x 13

I just received my XL in and I was SHOCKED at the size difference.

I couldn't find my tape this morning to measure the exact dimension, but I think the picture will show you enough.

aff947069e60addd87c8659561634b7b.jpg

Xl on top of ambush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think the size difference was that drastic myself until I seen your pic. I have an xl and like bigger platforms to be able to stand and shoot.I would definitely have gone with that over the xl. I'm actually ready to pull the trigger on a lwcg.5 stand to use with the saddle.

I didn't think the size difference was that drastic myself until I seen your pic. I have an xl and like bigger platforms to be able to stand and shoot.I would definitely have gone with that over the xl. I'm actually ready to pull the trigger on a lwcg.5 stand to use with the saddle.

Yeah, that is what I love about the ambush. It is large enough that I stand on it a lot. I actually wish they'd made a micro stand that is about 4" longer than the ambush. I have also considered getting the .5 as well as I've learned that my back likes a saddle a lot more than a seat, but I don't like the thought of cables getting in the way. It would be really awesome to have the option to sit down at times though. Also, I've never understood how I would set it up for a saddle(facing the tree) and then sit down facing the totally opposite direction(down wind).

Yeah, that is what I love about the ambush. It is large enough that I stand on it a lot. I actually wish they'd made a micro stand that is about 4" longer than the ambush. I have also considered getting the .5 as well as I've learned that my back likes a saddle a lot more than a seat, but I don't like the thought of cables getting in the way. It would be really awesome to have the option to sit down at times though. Also, I've never understood how I would set it up for a saddle(facing the tree) and then sit down facing the totally opposite direction(down wind).
I set up my .5 exactly like you would a saddle platform. I face the tree. Only have a few hunts with it but so far I haven’t had a problem with the cables. Not saying it wouldn’t ever be a problem though.

I set up my .5 exactly like you would a saddle platform. I face the tree. Only have a few hunts with it but so far I haven’t had a problem with the cables. Not saying it wouldn’t ever be a problem though.
I bet you're right. I have a buddy with one I may try it out and see. I just love how mainstream all my saddle stuff is. 1 sticking has worked out as good as I could ever imagine and I typically hang my platform off my side when climbing. I guess I could go back to the old days of keeping the stand on my back lol. It's been a long time since I have hung a lock on!

I have had the Ambush since in came out and have really enjoyed it. I love the extra size of the ambush but wanted to give the XL a try. On paper they're close, but the XL is a little smaller.

Ambush is 16.5 x 14.5
XL is 16.25 x 13

I just received my XL in and I was SHOCKED at the size difference.

I couldn't find my tape this morning to measure the exact dimension, but I think the picture will show you enough.
Yes that 13 is only at the end wings for the xl. I’m not suggesting you go this, but some have taken a grinder to the teeth to angle them on the ambush and after you do, it’s almost as tight as the fix. Lonewolf is second to none when it comes to platform builds

Yes that 13 is only at the end wings for the xl. I’m not suggesting you go this, but some have taken a grinder to the teeth to angle them on the ambush and after you do, it’s almost as tight as the fix. Lonewolf is second to none when it comes to platform builds

I believe this one is the angled one. I think I may buy the newest one soon, that's assuming there have been a few changed to the new one my 2nd gen doesn't have.

I believe this one is the angled one. I think I may buy the newest one soon, that's assuming there have been a few changed to the new one my 2nd gen doesn't have.
The fix (newest one) is hands down the best I have ever used. 13x13” is plenty of real estate. At 3 lbs 10oz is plenty light and it packs down very well. The mollie hook is super convenient especially for rope climbers and it bites down better than any other platform I’ve used

I bet you're right. I have a buddy with one I may try it out and see. I just love how mainstream all my saddle stuff is. 1 sticking has worked out as good as I could ever imagine and I typically hang my platform off my side when climbing. I guess I could go back to the old days of keeping the stand on my back lol. It's been a long time since I have hung a lock on!

I just switched to using the .5 with my saddle, rather than a platform, and so far it's been a smooth transition.
Is hanging a .5 a bit more effort than a saddle platform, yes, but nothing like the old days of heavy, larger hang-ons.
Also, given the platform on a .5 is large enough to easily pivot to either side of the tree, I haven't found the cables to be an issue.

I have a predator XL, size 13, and 1/2 the time I’m standing, back against tree. It’s massive, feels more like stand hunting than saddle hunting. I use ROS for shorter sits, early season. I can’t see why anyone would need bigger, and the XL packs much slimmer than the Ambush. To each his/her own.

Back