• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The corn is coming down

kbetts

SH Member
Noticed the first field coming off today. Every year, like clockwork, everything changes right at the opener. Even the parts of the bean fields that get the most sun are starting to tint towards yellow. Getting ready to hop in the truck and take a little ride.

The season is coming quickly my friends.

Seriously! That's early. I didn't think Delaware's weather was that much warmer than here. Or was it Sweet corn? Corn is on for 2 more months here sometimes 3 or more. When was it planted out of curiosity.

No, it's not sweet corn. The farmers around here are aggressive in their planting/harvesting. They harvested four fields yesterday that I could see.

I rode around just before dark and confirmed my suspicions.....not one deer seen in beans. The only deer I saw last night were in the harvested corn fields. Wasn't the best weather for deer movement, but there is a big difference between none and several.

It's been hot and dry. Strong, occasional storms, but overall pretty dry.

I saw some harvested fields here in MS yesterday. Most of it is still drying but will be out around Labor Day.

Here in Michigan we had such a wet spring/early summer that there's a large number of fields that got planted late and will probably be up into late November, when they usually come down in October. You can drive past and tell if the farmer got the crop in on time (full height with tassels on top) or late (only half height now) and try to guess how that'll screw with your usual acorn vs corn spots.

Similar here with the weather. I've logged when it comes off behind the house. It's been November here each time. It's still lush and green here. I imagine it will be off real late this year.

Nor senses of humor apparently...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here in Michigan we had such a wet spring/early summer that there's a large number of fields that got planted late and will probably be up into late November, when they usually come down in October. You can drive past and tell if the farmer got the crop in on time (full height with tassels on top) or late (only half height now) and try to guess how that'll screw with your usual acorn vs corn spots.
Same for us here in WNY. The corn in the fields on the farm I hunt wasn't planted 'till June 10th or so but they are tassled out already. Its always a balance they usually start chopping corn in October but they worry about too wet of fields if its a rainy fall.

Back