• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Purge.... Why not???

Loopwing

SH Member
Nutterbuster started this whole thing, but it got me thinking. WHY? Why don't we do some of the things we mentioned on here? Is it the law and going to jail? Is it the ethics, but fun to joke about? Honestly, most of the things mentioned are simple game laws and completely doable if you don't care about the consequences. Going to jail keeps me, along with a lot of people from doing questionable things. No 2 people live by the same ethics.

Nutterbuster started this whole thing, but it got me thinking. WHY? Why don't we do some of the things we mentioned on here? Is it the law and going to jail? Is it the ethics, but fun to joke about? Honestly, most of the things mentioned are simple game laws and completely doable if you don't care about the consequences. Going to jail keeps me, along with a lot of people from doing questionable things. No 2 people live by the same ethics.
Aside from laws and consequences (which don’t really matter because I would never consider breaking them) I believe largely in fair chase and proper ethics. Just something my family has always preached in every aspect of life. A human being with high standard ethics and whole hearted morals needs no guidance in life aside from what the big guy upstairs gives him.

I like those answers. To play devil's advocate, is it more ethical to take a marginal shot with a fixed blade broadheads or a high powered rifle? I am talking actual marginal to the vitals, not an unethical shot. A high powered in the chest cavity will usually kill a deer. A fixed broadheads in the chest cavity may not have the same effect so to kinetic energy. In that logic is it less ethical to shoot an arrow at a deer? For the record, I sling arrows to, just play the devil's advocate side.

Last edited:
I like those answers. To play devil's advocate, is it more ethical to take a marginal **** with a fixed blade broadheads or a high powered rifle? I am talking actual marginal to the vitals, not an unethical shot. A high powered in the chest cavity will usually kill a deer. A fixed broadheads in the chest cavity may not have the same effect so to kinetic energy. In that logic is it less ethical to shoot an arrow at a deer? For the record, I sling arrows to, just play the devil's advocate side.
Choosing to take a shot with low likelihood of success is an indicator of the hunters questionable ethics in general and has nothing to do with the tools chosen. Sounds like that shot you're theoretically describing is marginal with a bow, acceptable with a gun. Ethics dictate choose the gun, all other things being equal so bow=wait and don't take the shot. Or do because there's likely a few hundred other factors affecting the decision as well.

Not a marginal ethic shot, I am taking a 30.06 round going through a chest cavity, the concussion will have mortal damage to the vitals. A broadheads can pass through a chest cavity and not hit anything vital. Marginally missing the vital organs.

Not a marginal ethic shot, I am taking a 30.06 round going through a chest cavity, the concussion will have mortal damage to the vitals. A broadheads can pass through a chest cavity and not hit anything vital. Marginally missing the vital organs.
Yeah, and my point is the mechanics of the projectile passing through the chest cavity makes the comparison moot, as shot placement depends on location and projectile

Back