• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Sit Drag in Retrospect

GodsCountry

To those of you that were using sit drags in the past, when DIY may have been the only option, and now you’ve owned a Tethrd or Aero Hunter saddle...

Is the DIY sit drag still relevant, and a viable option?

Does the comfort of the commercial saddles far exceed the SD? If so, to what extent?

What are your thoughts on the SD in retrospect?

Asking for a friend, whom is having tough times, and whom is having second thoughts on dropping $300 on a commercial saddle, and whom would be using it in conjunction with a RC harness for added safety...

F8D19955-5D19-45DE-858B-89F5683FFB1E.png

Last edited:
My thoughts
Which are worth what you paid for them.

I started with a sitdrag. And have owed several in different configurations

1. I used it with a linesman made by Erniepower. It served as my Molle attachments, back brace and general carry all. My sitdrag remains unAltered except the Amsteel bridge. I didn’t not use any other safety devices. I cannot recommend this as it would be unsafe. Extremely comfortable

2. I used an in modified sitdrag with a cheap harness that comes with the Summit stands. It has a built in lineman belt. Extremely comfortable and safe.

3. Used a size one Kestrel, with in two hours of the hunt I was on the ground I couldn’t stand the pain any longer. It came across my belt and bruised my hips. I didn’t like the floppy lineman belt and they were way to far back. The size one was just to small. I wear a 36” waist.

4. I won a size 2 predator camo Kestrel at Saddleplooza 2018. Way more comfortable then the size one. Not nearly as comfortable as my sitdrag. Having said that I hunted out of it all season and it got more comfortable as the year went on. I will probably continue to use it. Most will tell you that I’m the oddball. I say I’m not a band wagoner.

5. aero hunter evolution once dialed in was super comfortable. Not a minimalist saddle like the kestrel or sitdrag.

6. I have a trophyline size large that is to big for me or bigger than I like them anyway. imho. It is super comfortable. I think it’s because of the stiff materials it’s made of.

7. For what it’s worth I recently bought another sitdrag as Catman is in my old one. I still have my Ernie’s lineman and a summit stand harness.

8. I sat in an XL Mantis it was comfortable but to big for me. I plan on checking out a size large real soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just cause it’s not the latest and greatest don’t mean it not worth using... I’d say it’s tried and true and with a little work holds its own against newer stuff.l

I ask myself these questions a lot with all the new gear. 1. Does it make me a better hunter ? 2. In relation to time in the tree (week end hunter @ 3-4 hours hunting a weekend) worth the expenditure. 3. Has the product been used and reviewed enough to make a sound call on actually buying it or am I being impulsive?

Ill also add that most hunting gear choices only matter to you. From Camo to stands to bows to guns. It has to bring you confidence.
Food for thought

Last edited:
To those of you that were using sit drags in the past, when DIY may have been the only option, and now you’ve owned a Tethrd or Aero Hunter saddle...

Does the comfort of the commercial saddles far exceed the SD? If so, to what extent?

Asking for a friend, whom is having tough times, and whom is having second thoughts on dropping $300 on a commercial saddle, and whom would be using it in conjunction with a RC harness for added safety...

View attachment 9860
How did you get a picture of Bruce Jenner hunting from the 80s?
I used a sit drag all season. I ran a belt through the inside of both loops and it held it on me. I love mine. It's very comfortable once you get bridge length and tether height unused for you. I'm gonna try making an @George Clark double sit drag over the off season.

I went back to my sitdrag after trying out some of the commercial options. I like that I can move it for whether I want to sit or stand and being able to switch back and forth makes it more comfortable for me. I also like the redundancy of the rock harness back up. Should the bridge or sitdrag ever fail your still good. It’s on my agenda to try the fleece saddle but haven’t got to it.

Asking for a friend, whom is having second thoughts on dropping $300 on a commercial saddle, and whom would be using it in conjunction with a RC harness for added safety...

View attachment 9860
Yep, my buddy out west is asking the same thing. No matter how comfortable I tell him my saddle is, or how it will help his back. So, anyone have an extra they would sell for a guy trying the saddle thing? Modified enough that it would convince him to get off the Alpha? thanks.

There is nothing wrong with a sitdrag - especially if you enjoy the DIY aspect. I used one for two years. I will say that the most comfortable saddle I have ever used was a simple homemade fleece.

My absolute favorite saddle these days is the Mantis from Tether'd for several reasons:
1) I don't have to DIY anything. I add a couple paracord loops and I am done. I have so many projects going it is nice to not have to build my saddles from scratch anymore.
2) It is extremely well made and safety tested
3) It can be folded up into a super small package that easily goes in my pack
4) It weighs next to nothing
5) it is easy to adjust and customize if you want
6) It is made by a couple long term Saddle Hunter guys - they LISTENED to many of us asking for a minimalist saddle and didn't argue why they couldn't - they just DID. And they continue to solicit feedback and make adjustments (just look at the Gen II predator platform).

I now have 3 of their saddles (a medium for hot weather hunting, and 2 larges). I cannot see anything replacing them for some time but hey who knows what will come down the pike tomorrow. Finally - I am not a sponsor for Tether'd, I paid full price for all my saddles/platforms, and they have not asked me to say anything about their products - I do so because I believe in what they are doing and their products.

Last edited:
Absolutely! There is a reason so many of us use (or used) one. They are cheap and simply work lol. If the kestrel and Mantis hadn't come out I'd probably still be using one :D

Nothing wrong with a sit drag. Only reason I changed to a commercial saddle was to not have a rock climbing harness and a saddle. Less gear.

I used two sit drags together similar to how @ImThere used Ernie’s linesmans belt. The only thing it gives up to the new saddles is safety. It was as comfortable as the mantis and kestrel for me. I just didn’t feel comfortable with all this aider climbing where you know at some point you’ll be testing the safety of the system. They are a cheap way to get into saddle hunting the costs still add up when you start adding carabiners, rope, and a couple ropeman1’s. I had intentions of using it in the early season last year because the kestrel was so hot. The along cake the mantis and I was fortunate enough to have it before our season opened.

I hated the sit drag from the first time I used it. For me it never even came close to the comfort of my tree saddle or then aero hunter saddles.

Nothing wrong with a sit drag. Only reason I changed to a commercial saddle was to not have a rock climbing harness and a saddle. Less gear.
X2 - Less gear and less buckles to adjust, etc. My daughter hunted out of my Sit Drag / RCH at the end of the season and I liked the safety aspect of that. Couldn't have her hunting out of my DIY Kestrel. Will be picking up a Mantis once they catch up.

I hated the sit drag from the first time I used it. For me it never even came close to the comfort of my tree saddle or then aero hunter saddles.
That’s what makes all the “ Im new to saddle hunting which saddle should I buy” question so hard to answer. @ImThere talked about how much comfortable the sit drag was compared to his size one kestrel last year. Then hearing your sit drag experience like it was a medieval torture device. It really is an individual thing and it’s amazing how opinions on comfort can vary so greatly from one person to the next.

I have used a sitdrag/RC harness for a season and a diy kestrel clone for a season. I find the kestrel clone to be more comfortable from the extra material spreading out the pressure. With that said...I would have no hesitation going back to the sitdrag. I found it far more comfortable than the cheap hang ons I have sat in for years.

I was fixin to buy a Sit drag and semi-retire the old Bulldog when I happened upon Dave T's fleece saddle video. My search ended, then and there...at least for now. That thing epitomizes comfort in a tree, for me.

I went back to my sitdrag after trying out some of the commercial options. I like that I can move it for whether I want to sit or stand and being able to switch back and forth makes it more comfortable for me. I also like the redundancy of the rock harness back up. Should the bridge or sitdrag ever fail your still good. It’s on my agenda to try the fleece saddle but haven’t got to it.

This guy read my mind.

I've got 2 seasons in my sitdrag and fleece saddles and don't see myself upgrading any time soon, just can't justify the expense when it works so well. The only change from last year to this year was an amstel bridge which i don't like lol, i need fi redo it, its too short and i didnt properly taper the ends so it geta hung up when i rotate.

I also use the rch, fleece for cold weather sitdrag for whenever lol. It's hard to beat the cost especially when getn started. Good luck!

Oh one more thing i think makes a big difference that is worth mentioning if you are a leaner or sitter with the former being more comfortable with a sitdrag, i think most of the folks that dont like the sitdrag are sitters which also means the platform type makes a big difference, so platform for sitdrag and leaners, and ring of steps for sitters, just my 2 cents, some might disagree!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back