• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Things I learned on my first Saddle weekend

reggoh75

I have been spending the last 2 months ordering and practicing with all of my gear while I was waiting on my Kestrel Flex to come in.
Last week I received my Flex and this weekend I was able to deploy my new weapon!
Here are some things I learned after a weekend of saddle hunting including 4 sits with a total time of about 15 hours in the saddle.

1. 1-sticking is not as easy as some of the guys make it look in the videos - I am 44 years old and in reasonable shape for my age (I don't work out but I'm not terribly overweight) and it was a little tougher than I expected. Once I figured a few things out it became easier with practice. One thing I did was use my lineman's belt once on the stick. It made moving the tether up a little easier and hands free.

2. Normal saddle hunting is not Ultralight. You can cut lots of weight and make it pretty light but if you bring all the gadgets, ropes, and comfort items it all adds up. It is still much lighter than a climber or hang on but not quite as light as I thought it would be. I will add that the weigh difference is noticeable with how compact everything packs down. My pack probably weighs 20+ lbs but it's all in there and very comfortable to carry unlike my other stands with a pack strapped to them.

3. Rappelling is fun! Carrying an additional 30' of rope, belay device, 2 carabiners, and an autoblock adds a little weight (see #2 above) but it's so easy to get down without having to 1-stick all the day down. I had to tweak my autoblock to add an extra wrap because at one point I was going down very slowly without touching anything... haha.

4. Saddle hunting takes practice and you need to have a system in place. I was able to get my system dialed in pretty good this weekend with some trial and error. I'm sure I will continue to make small changes as I find things that work better and things that don't.

5. While you "can" get into any tree with saddle, there are certainly limitations. Really large trees are hard to get your ropes around and configure everything. Vine covered trees are not the best for girth hitching a rope on because you lose barky surface area and replace it with vertical vines that can slip a bit.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts. Overall I am really excited with the new saddle and I was very comfortable on my first outing. I don't think I will use my other stands much any more. I like how compact everything is within my pack.

e8da59cbd3b26419bd599bd363710332.jpg

8aa54242868a3bbe88c45cb050f1e693.jpg

688381743c509aa727e3afc6b1b16696.jpg

It was also my first sit in my mantis saddle..i learn alot as well..do realize i need to practice more and find better options to climb..least for me..also found out out im a leaner versus a sitter..figured i would have been a sitter due to issues with my legs..btw..i like the looks of your woods..looks like some good areas for deer to come thru

I've thought about using a LB while one-sticking....

I'm a first year saddle hunter. I probably have 40 "hunts" behind me now in the JX-3. I can't see me ever going back to a hang on. But, I agree that the claim that a saddle can get you into any tree and the weight savings claims are a little overblown.

Seems like as time went on during the season I've streamlined my pack and only carry in what I absolutely need which is a definite improvement over carrying a stand like last year. My climbing methods have changed several times and even my saddle choice. I even started on a platform and switched to a ring of steps. Good thing there's plenty of options out there to try and plenty of eager buyers when you want to sell the gear you've tried!

A saddle can be used in most any tree - that is not the limitation most of the time. Climbing some trees safely is a much greater restriction IME. if I can get my sticks, or steps to work I usually never have a problem getting a saddle in it.

My first season too, 1 sticking 1/ takes practice 2/ takes practice Hunting in saddle 1-10/ takes practice.

there is a reason these more experienced guys say things like "practice (fillin the blank) from ground level. Practice hangin', shootin', securing steps, securing ROS.. Hunting is not the time to figure these things out.

I mention this only because I was like, "well, if they can do it I can do it". That dumba>< thinking made for some very inefficient hunts.. A gentleman in his journal on here, mentioned climbing, shooting, climbing down and repeat.. I think that's an excellent idea, especially if you are 1 sticking and rappeling down. How many shots can you take in an hour, seems like a fun game to play. Good way to get in shape too. One guy said he was doing planks for x minutes per night. Didnt realize why then but do now. Its like I say about getting old, it ain't for sissies!

Heck, one of the hardest things for me to do was trust my equipment to let go and sit in my RCH! That is NOT a natural thing to do! At least the first time, 8-10 feet off the ground. it was hard for me to get my hands OFF that rope, lol. It hasnt all come yet but its coming the more I practice and hunt the more more I have those aaaha, moments.

and they all said, Amen.

Seems like as time went on during the season I've streamlined my pack and only carry in what I absolutely need which is a definite improvement over carrying a stand like last year.

I may look at refining what I normally bring but I think I am fairly minimalist with my packing...

Tags, ID, License, zip ties
Binoculars
Grunt tube and Bleat Can
Flashlight and Headlight
GPS
Range Finder
Small folding knife
Saddle with ropes
Rappel Kit
Jacket/Facemask/Hat

The clothes I carry will vary depending on the weather forecast but that is really all I bring.

Another thing that helps - make carrying a pack while walking part of your pre-season prep. I ALWAYS do better the years I begin walking with a pack and continue to add weight through out the summer early fall. The problem is anytime you begin a new activity you will have a period of adjustment. i typically work up to a 50 pound pack for 2 miles walks every morning - thus when season rolls around a 20 pound pack is nothing - my back, legs and lungs are used to carrying a pack.

And finally - practicing in your yard or on the same perfect tree is a good start - but I highly recommend making several trips out to the woods to practice less than perfect trees and in less than pperfect lighting/situations. I use my sticks/saddles year round prepping trees and running cameras and i practice a lot during the nighttime.

I was hanging from a tree the other day that had a vine that was half as thick as the tree haha. Dangerous? I don't know. Worked fine for me!

Back