• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thinking about a lever action

Mengle

I know little to nothing about rifles. I would really like to have something for when I am cruising around scouting on the ground, that can still reach on out there a little bit once I’m in the tree. I would probably be shooting 150 yards at the most.
Is there any reason not to get a lever action?
I am open to just about anything.
Any and all input is appreciated.

For centerfire hunting rifles, I have a lever .30-30 (Marlin 336) and a bolt action .30-06. If you are looking at only one rifle, then I would recommend a bolt action. Trigger is better, some more accuracy and no need for flat nosed bullets to avoid chain fires.

That said, I like my lever, and with a removable scout scope and peep sights, it is a great gun when I am not expecting shots past 100 to 125 yards.

I would recommend buying both a lever and a bolt action gun. 2 is 1 and 1 is 0. Also, take a look at scout rifle configurations, a la Jeff Cooper. Good all around guns.

Guns are like saddles, you will never be happy with just one.

And to bring a rifle to bear on a target at 150 yards, one has to be able to use optics (binoculars) to identify the target before pointing the muzzle on the target (using scope). Just something to think about. If you want to shoot that distance, you need to be able to see/judge legal targets at that distance before shouldering your rifle.

I really like the Savage bolt actions with the accu trigger. Not the sexiest. But they have a great and adjustable trigger and shoot lights out. Enjoy it out of the box, or if you want something sexier, get a Boyd’s stock for it.

Welcome to the start of a new pursuit. The more guns that are in the hands of competent people, the stronger the constitution.

If you are in eastern PA and want to shoot mine, let me know. I have both a member and guest pass to my range. #2AStrong!

I do have a 12 gauge 870. I have heard about swapping barrels out on it, but wasn’t sure if that was a viable option. Any opinions on that? Shooting some ducks in the AM and scouting/hunting in the PM with only swapping a barrel would be convenient.

I love lever actions but they aren’t a good choice unless you want to climb up and down with a round chambered. They truly are a pain to load/unload. Of course there is a half cock and a cross bolt safety but empty chambers are the only truly safe way to haul them up and down.

I love lever actions but they aren’t a good choice unless you want to climb up and down with a round chambered. They truly are a pain to load/unload. Of course there is a half cock and a cross bolt safety but empty chambers are the only truly safe way to haul them up and down.
Couldn't agree more with this. For saddle hunting the ol nef handi rifles are hard to beat. Or a decent bolt gun as mentioned.

I do have a 12 gauge 870. I have heard about swapping barrels out on it, but wasn’t sure if that was a viable option. Any opinions on that? Shooting some ducks in the AM and scouting/hunting in the PM with only swapping a barrel would be convenient.

Very viable option. Slug barrel with cantilever scope so optics come off with barrel but retain zero sounds like what you’re looking for

In certain areas here, centerfire rifles larger than 22cal are illegal due to township regulations, so a valid alternative is a shotgun with rifled slugs or buck shot. One could go hunting duck first and then deer with the same gun, different ammo. No need to switch barrels.

As for the lever action, I like mine as a scout gun, but I like better my new Savage 6.5 Creedmore bolt action. light, accurate with a nice scope. My preferred rifle for deer hunting, regardless if I'm in a saddle or hunting at a friend's property with his lean on stands.

I have a lever action 30-30 that was handed down from my father years ago. I used this gun every year as a young hunter. I love that little gun and have have an emotional attachment with it from all those early hunting memories. With that said, they are dangerous weapons. I nearly shot a hole in our truck tire one year when my thumb slipped off the hammer while letting it down to half cocked safety position after chambering a round.

I killed much game with a lever 30-30, bolt guns also. Switch back and forth between bolt mod 700 and pump 7600 both in 06. Hornady SST. The latter is a carbine. Short, good saddle gun.

There is nothing more fun than a lever action! I recently purchased a 357 Henry Big Boy. I was already reloading the cartridge, so it made sense for me. Forget about ARs. I have never had more fun than when shooting my Henry at a few steel plates.

I live in a ridiculous state, so I can't really hunt with it. I am hitting a ten inch steel plate at a 100 yards using only the iron sites. Currently, I am eyeing a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun. Just seems like a must have cartridge in a lever action :) That cartridge will take down anything. Scoped, I think a proper caliber lever action is good out to 150 yards, no problem. 30-30 is probably the best caliber if you want to be shooting that distance or further though. The design of the bullet will not decelerate like the traditional (flat or round nose) design of something like a 45-70, or my 357 mag. I am not worried about distance with my Henry. I have a Tikka T3x in 308 for that.

I know I was absolutely no help. All I can say it is a great gun and anyone who owns and enjoys rifles should have one in their collection. My Henry is hefty, but I would still be willing to carry it around. It is also a great SHTF gun, or a must have if you live in a crazy state like mine. Watching the national assault on 2A around the country, the lever action will be one of the guns that will survive the first couple rounds of inevitable regulatory assaults on our rights.

I appreciate everyone’s input. I guess I should have added I am in Mississippi, where they are not so strict.

In my younger days, I shot deer with a Marlin 30-30 lever action. I regretted selling it (to buy my first bolt gun) and found a Model 94 in .32 Special which I use when wandering the woods late season. The gun is light, comes to the shoulder quickly, and gets on target fast with iron sights.

With Hornady's Leverevolution ammo, 150 yard shots are no problem with a scoped 30-30

Economically the 30-30 would be fine. But as stated above, a bolt action is usually the more accurate choice.

@Mengle If you want a lever rifle by all means get one. Any of the non pistol rounds would serve you well out to 150 yards. You will be on the outer limits at that range with a 30-30 but it’s capable.
Lever action rifles are better than other actions for topping off the magazine without taking the rifle out of commission. That’s it.
If you want budget friendly I’ll put you in a bolt action.
If accuracy is important I’ll put you in a bolt action.
If safety is of utmost importance I’ll put you in a single shot or bolt action with detachable mag.
If you want a decent trigger I will once again put you in a bolt action.
If you want light weight I’ll put you in a bolt action.
What about speed? Well a lever action beats a bolt gun but barely.I would put auto and pump ahead of lever actions on speed.
You don’t have to pick one item of importance either. I can put you in a new bolt action that is cheaper, lighter, safer, more accurate, with a better trigger than available new lever guns.
So why would anyone want a lever action? Maybe because they grew up watching westerns and had a red Ryder as a child. Maybe they think they are just cool as hell and they just want to hunt with a lever gun. If that’s where you find yourself go for it.

I grew up bear and moose hunting with a .444 marlin. Plenty of stopping power. I remember my grandfather, a bamf ww2 vet dinging plates at 200 yards no problem. Maybe a bit too large a round for what you need to accomplish but we never had any issues with it.

Back