• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thinking about getting a "New to me" bow

eddiegomes83

SH Member
As the title states. I am thinking of getting a new bow. More than likely a "new to me" bow.

I know there is alot of information already out there but looking for more up to date info.

I am thinking about a few and want to see what your thoughts or experiences are. I currently have a PSE Full Throttle. It is 65lbs, 28in draw. I like the bow but never really shot it as good as i wanted to. I am no pro shop and really dont have a good one around. It could just be a tuning thing. Idk. I could just be getting bored as well.

Cool short story. I bought thos bow from a guide brand new. Billy "Catfish" Parker gave him the bow for taking him gator hunting. When i got it, it still had Billy's name and address on it.

Anyways, back to topic. I am looking at the
APA King Cobra
APA Mamba 33 and 28
Bowtech SR6
Others if I find something in my search.

I really want speed, accuracy, and shootability.

Thanks in advance.

As the title states. I am thinking of getting a new bow. More than likely a "new to me" bow.

I know there is alot of information already out there but looking for more up to date info.

I am thinking about a few and want to see what your thoughts or experiences are. I currently have a PSE Full Throttle. It is 65lbs, 28in draw. I like the bow but never really shot it as good as i wanted to. I am no pro shop and really dont have a good one around. It could just be a tuning thing. Idk. I could just be getting bored as well.

Cool short story. I bought thos bow from a guide brand new. Billy "Catfish" Parker gave him the bow for taking him gator hunting. When i got it, it still had Billy's name and address on it.

APA King Cobra
APA Mamba 33 and 28
Bowtech SR6

Thanks in advance.
I don't have any advice on any of those bows that you are looking at, however, the PSE Full Throttle should be a competent bow. In my opinion any compound bow made in the last 20 years can be tuned to shoot well. I've shot bows that are 30 years old and brand new ones. If they are tuned well they will shoot true. If they aren't shooting well to your liking, then it is either a arrow/bow tuning issue or shooter error. There are a bunch of resources online for proper bow tuning, and I personally follow John Dudley (Nockon) advice for anything archery. I know this is slightly off topic, but I hope it helps. Good luck!

APA King Cobra
APA Mamba 33 and 28
Bowtech SR6

Thanks in advance.
There’s a great deal on a sweet Prime hybrid in classifieds now......

I don't have any advice on any of those bows that you are looking at, however, the PSE Full Throttle should be a competent bow. In my opinion any compound bow made in the last 20 years can be tuned to shoot well. I've shot bows that are 30 years old and brand new ones. If they are tuned well they will shoot true. If they aren't shooting well to your liking, then it is either a arrow/bow tuning issue or shooter error. There are a bunch of resources online for proper bow tuning, and I personally follow John Dudley (Nockon) advice for anything archery. I know this is slightly off topic, but I hope it helps. Good luck!
Thanks....i dont really have the ability to tune it. The shop we have is nearby is kinda garbage. I have thought about spending the money on the press and everything else vs buying a bow. I would just have the learning curve. The other issue is space.

I used to be super deadly with my bow. Could never shoot at the same dot with fear of splitting arrows. I was kind of the same with this bow when i got it. That does make me believe it is a tuning problem. That or i am just getting older and weaker but i shoot all the time.

The ability to break down the APAs without an press is appealing to me because i would not need the space for the equipment. That would just leave the learning curve.

Still in the air on what i want to do. Really just thinking out loud

Thanks....i dont really have the ability to tune it. The shop we have is nearby is kinda garbage. I have thought about spending the money on the press and everything else vs buying a bow. I would just have the learning curve. The other issue is space.

I used to be super deadly with my bow. Could never shoot at the same dot with fear of splitting arrows. I was kind of the same with this bow when i got it. That does make me believe it is a tuning problem. That or i am just getting older and weaker but i shoot all the time.

The ability to break down the APAs without an press is appealing to me because i would not need the space for the equipment. That would just leave the learning curve.

Still in the air on what i want to do. Really just thinking out loud
I use a simple cable bow press that you can pick up for about 40 bucks. It's all that is needed. I do everything I need with it. The only thing that I have a shop do for me is re-serve the string if it starts to show signs of wear because I don't have a string tensioner or jig for it. I'm thinking of building one, but overall doing all if it yourself is super satisfying and it saves money!

Bowtechs are nice because of the adjustability and they are very easy to tune... don't gotta worry bout hunting down different cams or mods for your draw length which is also nice when selling or gifting later on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have a Bowtech and I recently made the decision to invest in higher grade sight, rest, quiver, and string vs buying a new bow. My theory is that when I am finally at a point where I feel a higher quality bow will benefit me, I will just carry over the accessories.

With that being said... The Elite Ember has a lot of good review feedback. I think its adjustable from 7lbs to 70, or some large range, and i believe MSRP is somewhere around $499. The reviews on it are good. I posted on SH a little while back to ask if anyone shot one, but crickets. Maybe thats changed now.

I will also say that after accidently dropping my bow 30ft out of the tree last year, a second bow would be nice.

I almost pulled the trigger on a brand new vertix for 750. Brand new in box. I could still probably get it. But i owned a mathews back in the solocam days. It was ok but just seemed top heavy. I was young and bought it for the name.

I was just going to say that there’s a SR6 on here for sale. I love my realm x. My old
Bow was almost 16 yrs old. What a difference. Having said that there has to be a decent shop within a 2 hr drive of you. Even if you get a newer one I’d keep the old one and drive to a shop and have them dialed in for you.

There are many good bow choices and frankly any of them will do the job.
My best advice is find a bow with some valley.

A bow without any valley will collapse you as it tries to take off. That's done to boast 5 fps faster than a bow that forgives a small flinch or loss of balance in the tree or what have you.

I am a big fan of PSE for the same reasons you list. One thing I realized after moving away from PSE was that I also really liked the grip. I bought a bow not realizing how important that was to me and it drove me nuts! Ended up selling that bow pretty quick.

FWIW I just bought a bowtech reign 6. It’s extremely comfortable and zips arrows. I’ve only been shooting it for a few weeks, but I’m going to like this bow.

Back