• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thinking of going to thumb release..

KYHunter

I’ve been using a wrist release for the past decade but am thinking of trying a thumb release this off season. I like the idea of not having to strap or Velcro something on my wrist and make it work with gloves and sleeve cuffs. For those of y’all who shoot thumb releases what are your recommendations?
Pros and cons of hunting with a thumb release?
How was the transition from wrist to thumb?
Any specific tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance!

I made the switch this summer. Picked up a Stan thumb release off the classifieds. My groups immediately tightened up. As for hunting ... a bit tougher transition for me. I found myself forgetting to put it on the D loop Sometimes. Lol. W the wrist it’s just always on. But overall I’m glad I made the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot a thumb and I really like it. Pros for me it’s not something on your wrist, it makes for a more comfortable anchor, it makes poundage seem easier to pull back, and nothing to hook up when a hooter comes in it hangs on my d loop. Cons they are harder to keep up with and the potential to drop one and in heavy leaves they are tough to find trust me! I have a tru ball diamond 4 I like it has a lot of adjustment to get the barrel where it feels comfortable to you, i shot a fang a while back and really liked it would consider it also. As far as making the switch it never seemed awkward for me to switch over, last year I went back to a wrist and I’m back to a thumb this year.

I’ve been using a Stan Shootoff since 2014. Absolutely love it. I trained a ton with back tension type releases and going to the thumb for hunting just felt right to me. Since switching to that I am much more consistent when shooting at deer. I don’t punch it, just aim and BAM the arrow is gone without thinking about it. It’s really nice not having anything on your wrist. Only downfall is the risk of dropping it. I carry my wrist strap in my pack as a backup and can shoot it without changing anything. I will say if you are going to switch to really put some practice into getting a surprise release every time and your shooting will never be better.

I made the switch after shooting a wrist release for 15+ years. Don't buy a cheap one - I did this to try it, and liked it, and then sent 3 arrows into various neighbors yards because I'm too dumb to admit it was releasing prematurely. I ended up getting a truball boss x - I liked the double trigger mechanism that's pretty fail proof.

Pros -

groups tightened from the get go

nothing on my wrist.

Cons -

for 15 years I kept my release on my wrist - never had to account for it. Now I have to make sure I have it with me and don't drop or misplace.

grip strength - I have recently begun to have issues with losing grip strength/pain in my hands. If you don't have a strong grip, you might have issues. Also - this improved with the 1500 shots or so I've taken the last few months - makes me wish I had a left handed bow to work my left hand haha.

The shooting production outweighs everything for me. worth it to switch.

Just curious since a few of y’all shoot stans did you ever think they seemed loud... I love how the feel but always thought they sounded like clicking a ball point pen next to microphone that’s why I stayed with tru ball so far.

Just curious since a few of y’all shoot stans did you ever think they seemed loud... I love how the feel but always thought they sounded like clicking a ball point pen next to microphone that’s why I stayed with tru ball so far.

The boss x I shoot is incredibly loud. I thought it was me, but clicked four different wrist releases, and the three thumb releases I tried. It was far and away the loudest. Having said that - the 3 deer I shot with it this year didn't seem to notice.

It really did surprise me how loud it was.

I’d say it seems loud because it’s so close to your ear when it goes off. I don’t even notice it now honestly. The TruBall BossX I tried was super loud and I didn’t care for it. The Stan “click” doesn’t bother me.

I switched to the trubal max pro 4 thumb release two years ago. Love it for many of the same reasons mentioned previously. I will say that I’m on my second one of these because I dropped the first one somewhere while walking. I keep a wrist release in my bag for backup.

Certainly one of those fads all the cool kids are doing. I tried a carter, didn't shoot any better. About the same. I feel I have pretty good form either way but I think a lot of wrist releases lead to poor form. I did like the feel of the draw and anchor point but it also changed my anchor enough I needed to move my peep but I was wishy washy and didn't. Ended up selling it, I just didn't like the possibility of losing it, especially the logisitics of keeping track of it while elk hunting. Easier to have somthing strapped on at all times.

Certainly one of those fads all the cool kids are doing. I tried a carter, didn't shoot any better. About the same. I feel I have pretty good form either way but I think a lot of wrist releases lead to poor form. I did like the feel of the draw and anchor point but it also changed my anchor enough I needed to move my peep but I was wishy washy and didn't. Ended up selling it, I just didn't like the possibility of losing it, especially the logisitics of keeping track of it while elk hunting. Easier to have somthing strapped on at all times.

My experience precisely

I switched over this year, never going back. Lots of reasons, but I feel like I can pull and hold the weight a lot easier than if I just have a wrist strap. You definitely need a backup, dropping them out of the tree is going to happen, so buy two. I would get a bright color for that reason. I didn't shoot very well with the max pro Hunter 4, sent some into the trees.... i don't like the caliper style, once I adjusted the trigger to the most sensitive setting it got a lot better, but still not as good as one that triggers a hinge.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I switched probably 10 years ago. Shoot a Carter Target 3. Your groups will tighten up. Only issue I've ever had hunting was this year, was monkeying with linesman belt and dropped it. Because I live by the "carry a spare" mantra, it wasn't a huge issue.

A fad? Just doesn’t sound like you put the time in it to see any benefit. For elk hunting I completely agree, I’d want a wrist strap.

I switched to a thumb and won't go back. Even for elk hunting. Keep in mind though you get what you pay for. The cheaper ones slowly open as you push the trigger. The nicer ones are "cocked" like a fire arm. You can set the trigger sensitivity and they "break" like a real trigger.

I will admit though that I carry two. One in my pocket and one buried in my pack in case I lose the first one. Thankfully (knock on wood) I have never lost my first one.

My groups got instantly smaller and I never have to worry about accidentally making noise by hitting my wrist release on something while I'm in my stand.

That being said there have been times where I look over after hunting for an hour and notice I forgot to attach my release.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

There is definitely a click with the Stan, but I do not notice it at all when I am shooting. The bow string noise is more than the click so maybe it gets drowned out?

I switched to a thumb and won't go back. Even for elk hunting. Keep in mind though you get what you pay for. The cheaper ones slowly open as you push the trigger. The nicer ones are "cocked" like a fire arm. You can set the trigger sensitivity and they "break" like a real trigger.

I will admit though that I carry two. One in my pocket and one buried in my pack in case I lose the first one. Thankfully (knock on wood) I have never lost my first one.

My groups got instantly smaller and I never have to worry about accidentally making noise by hitting my wrist release on something while I'm in my stand.

That being said there have been times where I look over after hunting for an hour and notice I forgot to attach my release.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes to all of this! I 100% agree with everything said here. I keep my wrist release in my bag in case I forget the thumb release or it drops etc. I have always kept a back up in the pack. A release is something you can not hunt without, so I bring 2

Back