• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

This has made one sticking 25% faster and easier for me. Has anyone else tried it?

Steve_Eh

Vendor Rep
Using and a foot loop aider I’ve been able to add 18 to 24 inches of height per transition which saves me an entire transition by the time I get to 20 feet.

That means I only have to set my stick three times rather than four and only sit against the tree, reach down and grab my stick, etc twice.

For me, it’s a GAME CHANGER!!

Has anyone else tried this?

Let me know how it goes for you and if you have any questions/comments/improvements.

Just in case anyone needs to be reminded, climbing trees is dangerous! You are taking your life in your hands. Be smart and make sure you and your gear are up to the challenge.

2nd video of me getting to 20ft 7in while only moving the stick twice. I'll update video when better weather comes as the camera got turned off during my 2nd transition.

Last edited:
I'm not understanding what that foot loop actually accomplishes that an aider doesn't. Also you didn't climb anything you just moved the stick up the tree a few inches...

I'd love to see how you got your foot onto your step from 4 feet down. That in itself would be a game changer.

I'm not understanding what that foot loop actually accomplishes that an aider doesn't. Also you didn't climb anything you just moved the stick up the tree a few inches...
I still use an aider on the one stick when I actually climb. I didn’t show the climbing up the stick as I didn’t think that was necessary as it’s nothing different or unique. But, I’ll do another video showing the whole thing with me climbing to height. Having my stick 18 to 24 inches higher every transition means I only have to do three total transitions rather than four to get to 20 feet. Does that make sense?

I'd love to see how you got your foot onto your step from 4 feet down. That in itself would be a game changer.
See comment above. When I actually climb to height I use an aider in the stick. I just didn’t for demonstration purposes in this video.

That was my first thought.

The stick is no longer under your tether when you moved it up. I don't understand why this is good. Maybe your video showing an actual climb will show this.

Is the foot loop used after you have reached all the height you can get from the stick and aider? Basically just before you reset your stick for the next move after you have adjusted your tether as high as possible?

See comment above. When I actually climb to height I use an aider in the stick. I just didn’t for demonstration purposes in this video.

I'd love to see both being used. I've been one sticking for 3 years now and would love to see how a to be more efficient in my climb. Thanks

Is the foot loop used after you have reached all the height you can get from the stick and aider? Basically just before you reset your stick for the next move after you have adjusted your tether as high as possible?
Yes, that is correct. I just gain 18-24 inches by using the foot aider

I'd love to see both being used. I've been one sticking for 3 years now and would love to see how a to be more efficient in my climb. Thanks
I'm uploading a new video now. It was crazy windy here today and the camera stopped part way, but it shows a full transition starting at the 1:15 mark. I get to 20ft 7in while only having to move the stick twice. I'll do another one later in the week when I get the time and the weather permits to show the whole climb without a pause partway through.

I get to 20ft 7in while only having to move the stick twice.

True you only move the stick twice but you are also doubling the climbing steps by adding the foot aider.

You may get a bit higher with 2 moves but I don’t see that you are really saving much time doing it this way.

If you really wanted to save time you should add a cam cleat.

I can definitely see the advantage to this. When sitting in the saddle it really limits how high you can put your step/platform. Great video, I will definitely be trying this.

I wonder what it would be like incorporating another aider instead of just the foot loop?

True you only move the stick twice but you are also doubling the climbing steps by adding the foot aider.

You may get a bit higher with 2 moves but I don’t see that you are really saving much time doing it this way.

If you really wanted to save time you should add a cam cleat.
I just got one and am going to install it this week hopefully. Less about “speed” for me and more about ease. The transitions are the only real “negative” to one sticking for me and this way I only have to do 2.

I can definitely see the advantage to this. When sitting in the saddle it really limits how high you can put your step/platform. Great video, I will definitely be trying this.

I wonder what it would be like incorporating another aider instead of just the foot loop?
That may work. While watching myself on the video I realize that putting a castration band on the foot loop and then unclipping it from the prusik and onto my linesman loop when not using it would save having to fiddle with it to get it on/off my foot. And, keep it out of my way while climbing. Next complete video I will do that.

Ok, I definitely see that you get a little extra distance by being able to set your stick higher while standing vs sitting on successive moves. If it were a contest to see how high you can get with the least amount of moves, you would probably win every time. However, it’s not just about distance per move, it’s about a balance between distance, time and ease of use. A person could probably make two more traditional moves and beat you to the hunting height every time. But it was good thinking even if it didn’t pan out in my opinion. That’s ok, the greatest inventors didn’t score on the first try. They kept trying and that’s why they are considered the greatest. In the end, as long as you like it, that’s all that matters....and you took the time to share, which is the best part. Thanks! Edit: On the other hand, maybe you just need to perfect it a little more to reduce the fiddle factor and speed things up a bit.

Last edited:
Back