• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

This Is Hard!

DwadeCham

Went on my second sit this season. I haven't streamlined my gear and process just yet and I always forget something or do something stupid. I admire you guys for your dedication and knowledge.

Any hints for new people to help us streamline?

Thanks,
Wade

If you wore a safety harness before and used a linemans belt you are pretty close to done. Just swap out your stand for a platform

Practice, practice, practice. And don't give up!!! Even if your practice is live hunts, every hunt will get easier until it all starts to click together.

Don't give up the rewards far outweigh the learning curve.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

There is a point where it will all click. It just requires practice like Red stated. Hang in it will come. It took me a season to dial it all in because I did not practice "stupid me". Now I practice all the time especially when changing gear out and tinkering.

Thanks guys. I am already hooked and will not be giving up. I have always hated ladder stands. I think I got my Aero dialed in today and was extremely comfortable by the end. Watched a doe travel through about 50 yards away and I don't think she knew I was there so there's that.

The packing and hanging my pack and bow are the most frustrating parts. I guess clothing too. Started in the 30's and ended in the 60's.

I need to make time to practice but life is crazy. Like Red said, my practice will be live hunts this year but I'll be dialed in by the end of season. We get until Feb 29th so I will have some success.

Thanks again,
Wade

You will be a regular pro before the end of season. It's just rewiring your brain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took me a season to get a system worked out. The single thing that improved the quality of my saddle hunting was taking time in the off season to prep pre-set stands. Unless I absolutely have to relocate mid-season and haul out the sticks, i'm a much happier camper hauling in less gear.

Another challenge is additional layers while on stand. The ropeman1 has mitigated this to a degree for me, but it can still be a little challenging to add/remove layers while your strapped in.

Give it time. Everything will click sooner or later. And I agree with everyones sentiment: "F*** it! I'll do it live!"

My 1st season started ruff too. I wanted to get to that break in point but was also going to use my old lock on method. So I used my lock on and lone wolf sticks on one hunt and was just so uncomfortable compared to my previous hunts in the saddle, that I made that my last hunt from my lock on system. Only problem was I took my strap of ameristeps for my platform out of my bag from the lock on hunt and forgot to put them back. So the next hunt I packed my saddle and got to my tree and realized I had no platform! Lol so I had to sit on the ground. That's when I totally committed. Ameristeps, tree teather, lineman belt, and saddle stay in my bag and I strap my sticks to the outside of bag. Being organized and knowing what you got and where it is really helps. That will come with time. Other lil tricks that's for your style will come also.
My method of going up the tree is like this:
Take backpack off my back. Unstrap sticks. Put on saddle and linemans belt. Put 1st 2 sticks on tree. Tie off backpack to pull up rope. Climb up and put remaining sticks on tree. Stand on top stick with linemans belt. I have my Ameristeps platform around my neck so I take it off and put it on tree. Then I stand on them all the while being attached to tree with linemans belt. Pull up backpack and clip it to my linemans belt with a carabiner so it hangs on my right side. Open backpack and get out tree teather. Install it. Ropeman and carabiner are already attached to it so I clip saddle bridge to ropeman carabiner while still supported by my linemans belt with back pack hanging off it. I then shift my weight to tree tether kinda sitting down making sure ropeman bites and tree tether tightens around the tree. Then I unhook the carabiner attached to my bag from the linemans belt and hook it to where my tree tether wraps around the tree. If my bag is heavy it may want to pull down on my tree tether some. I try to keep it light. We are not allowed to screw in hooks to trees or that's how I'd hang it. Then I undo my linemans belt and put it in my bag. I have a small grapple hook on my pull rope so I drop it down and grab my bow. I hang my bow on the tag end stopper knot of my tree tether where the loop is to wrap it around the tree.

This has got to be confusing to understand being new to this. We really need to make some videos of installation practices and make it a sticky from everyone's methods. It would help the new guys understand what we are saying a lot easier.

Anyway, that's what I did all last year using an aero evolution and Ameristeps platform. I'm working out a new system using a homemade sitdrag type harness with a rock climbing harness, so things have changed. They always will as we evolve as saddle hunters. You took the 1st best step already by coming to this site. The rest will come with experience.

And as far as removable insulation, I use an insulated vest under my top layer. It's easy to take on and off. Keeps your core warm and packs small.

My 1st season started ruff too. I wanted to get to that break in point but was also going to use my old lock on method. So I used my lock on and lone wolf sticks on one hunt and was just so uncomfortable compared to my previous hunts in the saddle, that I made that my last hunt from my lock on system. Only problem was I took my strap of ameristeps for my platform out of my bag from the lock on hunt and forgot to put them back. So the next hunt I packed my saddle and got to my tree and realized I had no platform! Lol so I had to sit on the ground. That's when I totally committed. Ameristeps, tree teather, lineman belt, and saddle stay in my bag and I strap my sticks to the outside of bag. Being organized and knowing what you got and where it is really helps. That will come with time. Other lil tricks that's for your style will come also.
My method of going up the tree is like this:
Take backpack off my back. Unstrap sticks. Put on saddle and linemans belt. Put 1st 2 sticks on tree. Tie off backpack to pull up rope. Climb up and put remaining sticks on tree. Stand on top stick with linemans belt. I have my Ameristeps platform around my neck so I take it off and put it on tree. Then I stand on them all the while being attached to tree with linemans belt. Pull up backpack and clip it to my linemans belt with a carabiner so it hangs on my right side. Open backpack and get out tree teather. Install it. Ropeman and carabiner are already attached to it so I clip saddle bridge to ropeman carabiner while still supported by my linemans belt with back pack hanging off it. I then shift my weight to tree tether kinda sitting down making sure ropeman bites and tree tether tightens around the tree. Then I unhook the carabiner attached to my bag from the linemans belt and hook it to where my tree tether wraps around the tree. If my bag is heavy it may want to pull down on my tree tether some. I try to keep it light. We are not allowed to screw in hooks to trees or that's how I'd hang it. Then I undo my linemans belt and put it in my bag. I have a small grapple hook on my pull rope so I drop it down and grab my bow. I hang my bow on the tag end stopper knot of my tree tether where the loop is to wrap it around the tree.

This has got to be confusing to understand being new to this. We really need to make some videos of installation practices and make it a sticky from everyone's methods. It would help the new guys understand what we are saying a lot easier.

Anyway, that's what I did all last year using an aero evolution and Ameristeps platform. I'm working out a new system using a homemade sitdrag type harness with a rock climbing harness, so things have changed. They always will as we evolve as saddle hunters. You took the 1st best step already by coming to this site. The rest will come with experience.
I can understand what you're saying. I like the grapple hook idea. I was hating what I did yesterday with having bow and pack coming up at the same time attached to a carabiner. Thanks for the tips!

I don't really preset because I only have access to two places and one is public. The other I'm saving until the pre-rut and rut. I can't use screw in and technically we have to move the stand 100 yards or more every 7 days on public. And I like being able to pick a tree as I go in. It will be awesome. I just need to streamline a few things.

Thanks again.

So in your situation, sticks and aiders are the best solution. That is the fastest, lightest, and easiest way to get to hunting height without presets or spurs. Here's my 10 step process.

1. Saddle, clothes, knee pads, accessories all packed in my Alps Pursuit pack.

2. Platform & sticks strapped to outside of pack.

3. Once at tree and unpacked, knee pads go on, and the first stick goes on the tree. The other two sticks are hung from my saddle via 12" nite ize rubber gear hangers attached to saddle via molle loops on each hip.

4. Pack goes back on my back. If I'm using ameristeps they are slung over a shoulder. If I'm using my platform I hang it on the outside of my pack.

5. Bow is attached to bow rope and I start to climb using lineman belt.

6. At hunting height I attach platform and tether. Tether is stored in a pouch on my right hip for easy access. I clip into the tether and climb on platform.

7. I tighten myself to the tree by taking almost all the slack out of my lineman belt. Then I position my tether exactly where I want it.

8. I attach my homemade gear hanger where I need it. It's always stored on my left hip. Hang my pack, pull up my bow, and nock an arrow.

9. Shoot a huge buck that never knew I was there.

10. Post hero pic on SH, win the 2016 hunting contest for team 3, and eat back straps, deer chili, and jerky the rest of the year.

Simple.

This process took me probably 25 minutes at the beginning. Now I can do it in 10-15 depending on the tree.

So in your situation, sticks and aiders are the best solution. That is the fastest, lightest, and easiest way to get to hunting height without presets or spurs. Here's my 10 step process.

3. Once at tree and unpacked, knee pads go on, and the first stick goes on the tree. The other two sticks are hung from my saddle via 12" nite ize rubber gear hangers attached to saddle via molle loops on each hip.

4. Pack goes back on my back. If I'm using ameristeps they are slung over a shoulder. If I'm using my platform I hang it on the outside of my pack.

6. At hunting height I attach platform and tether. Tether is stored in a pouch on my right hip for easy access. I clip into the tether and climb on platform.

7. I tighten myself to the tree by taking almost all the slack out of my lineman belt. Then I position my tether exactly where I want it.

8. I attach my homemade gear hanger where I need it. It's always stored on my left hip. Hang my pack, pull up my bow, and nock an arrow.

10. Post hero pic on SH, win the 2016 hunting contest for team 3, and eat back straps, deer chili, and jerky the rest of the year.

Simple.

This process took me probably 25 minutes at the beginning. Now I can do it in 10-15 depending on the tree.
Awesome! Thanks man. There is some good info in there. I have Odin climbing sticks and they are great but the straps aren't permanently attached at all so I will come up with a good way to strap them on the pack. Everything else makes perfect sense.

Simple.

Do you have any pictures of how you use the aiders? I am going to order some I saw you use on another thread. Do I need to order 3 of the 3 steps or just one?

Oh yeah. If I were you I'd go with a 5 step etrier for your bottom stick. On your second you could do a 4 step, and leave your top stick alone. You'd be able to get over 20' with that setup. You're tall enough to pull it off pretty easily I think.

Back