• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thought for you saddle making gurus!

fawnzy

b3808d71a954dfa1088b5b3954561779.jpg

Hi you saddle making gurus! I was just spending some time at the learning tree with a old school Trophyline tether. Notice the stitched strap in case of a fall.
I didn’t hook up according to the instructions. I just girth hitched it.
It seems to hold position well enough on birch bark. I’m going to try moving it up the tree for one sticking.

Is someone gonna make something like this? I like the fall protection. I’m sure one of you guys could make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strap will bind to a smooth barkless telephone pole in the freezing rain its what i test with in my yard......never slides down.even with carabiners as long as its 1.1/2inch strap any smaller will behave closer to rope.ropes are arkaic.for cave monkeys building pyramids.whole industry went backwars just so people could remarket an arborists work gear as hunting gear.just a lack of inovation.every one i work with unhooks there ropes from their lanyards and just drags them around.i dont even want to whear that stuff at work let alone hunting.ropes and straps hanging every where metal hardwear clanging and pouches full of gear.this is just one idiots opinion

Last edited:
Sorry for the title. It auto corrected

i don teven try to spelll.its for witches.used my trophyline strap the same way.than moved on to cooler ways of using custom straps.nylon is the standard from the 60s.polyester is the new industry standard for good reasons.still remember how those old trophy line straps would smell like mold after coastal rain showers.my first minimalist tether was a polyester 1.1/2 camo stainless motercycle cam strap from strapworks .com with a breaking strength of 4971 pounds and working load strength of 1200 pounds far more than the three hundred of your saddle.i tie it aruond the tree with the cam against the tree loop the end through the bridge and buck up through the cam for elivation adjustment.thentie off the extra strap just a loop .so it doesnt dangle and its an extra safety if some how the cam fails .im a professional idiot dont try this at home.unless you want to die

Last edited:
I’m going to try working with this strap a while. It seems to work well and I like the fall protection stitching.

Does the forum system have a way to kick a guy off if more than 50% of the membership puts him on ignore?

Hi cornpile,
Not sure the intent of your question. If you are asking me that question, better to ask one of the administrators.
If you are referring to me and taking a passive aggressive approach. Don’t. I’d prefer you be direct.

Hi cornpile,
Not sure the intent of your question. If you are asking me that question, better to ask one of the administrators.
If you are referring to me and taking a passive aggressive approach. Don’t. I’d prefer you be direct.

Sorry not directed at you.

Cool. Best to contact admin.

Thinking more about this today.

What about building a bridge option for people with the folded stitching.

Maybe it would need two layers to be able to slide through a biner. Maybe it would have a sleeve of some kind.

Yes it would be heavier, bulkier....

So, skip a meal for a week and make up the difference.

@kyler1945 don't I remember u having a thread somewhere in here with a energy absorbing tether?

U just have to calculate where the"real"end of the tether is so if the stitching did pop u would still be in a safe location. The safety harnesses I have to wear to work sometimes have like 6-10 foot of length stitched up.... So if I was 10-12 foot up and fall I could still hit the ground hypothetically...I have slipped and been hanging and seen other people fall short distances and never seen the stitching start to pop... U would have to drop a long way to build up the force to begin the stitches coming out and it working as intended IMO

I’m going to try working with this strap a while. It seems to work well and I like the fall protection stitching.

You could use an old strap from a tree stand harness and a dynamic rope and get the same safety factor with easier adjustability.

@kyler1945 don't I remember u having a thread somewhere in here with a energy absorbing tether?

U just have to calculate where the"real"end of the tether is so if the stitching did pop u would still be in a safe location. The safety harnesses I have to wear to work sometimes have like 6-10 foot of length stitched up.... So if I was 10-12 foot up and fall I could still hit the ground hypothetically...I have slipped and been hanging and seen other people fall short distances and never seen the stitching start to pop... U would have to drop a long way to build up the force to begin the stitches coming out and it working as intended IMO
It’s not how far you fall per say, it’s the fall factor. A 2 ft fall on 1 ft of slack line generates the same force as a 20 ft fall on 10 ft of slack line. Fall factors and the weight of the object falling determines the force that must be absorbed.

Maybe it would need two layers to be able to slide through a biner. Maybe it would have a sleeve of some kind.

Tethrd already patented that idea...

The problem is the fold over stitching that generates the shock absorbing is stitched to a much weaker break strength so that it will break away in sections, slowing the fall and absorbing energy. What people don’t realize is break strength is not the same as work load. So if it breaks away at say 800-1100 lbs (since the human body cannot handle more than 1800 lbs of force) the work load limit would be 1/3 or less than that. Working load limit is the maximum strength the stitching or webbing can continuously hold without weakening or wearing down the system. In life support (such as your bridge or tether) the WLL is 10% of the breaking strength. So that 800 lbs fold over would be good for continuously holding 80 lbs. This is why rock climbers use dynamic ropes, not breakaway stitching harnesses. It’s also why fall arrest harnesses with break away stitching aren’t made to continually use for work positioning.

Back