• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thoughts on longer ATA bows, Bowtech Reckoning/PSE Evo NXT 33

SETXsportsman6

I've been looking at getting a new bow. After doing a little research I feel that for my draw length (31.5"), the best fit for me would be a longer ATA bow. I've been looking at the Bowtech Reckoning which is more of a Hunting/3D crossover at 35" ATA, or the PSE Evo NXT which is 33" ATA. Both I believe are adjustable to a 32" draw length, and both offer a 7" brace height. I feel like either bow would be an extremely forgiving bow based off of pure specs. I don't claim to be an excellent shot by any measure so any help I can get all the better. I don't really buy into the speed hype, I'd prefer accuracy and smooth draw over speed any day.

Can I get any feedback from those who have shot either one of the two or both?

I personally can't accurately shoot any bow under 33 ata and I only have a 28 inch draw. Has to do with string angle and consistent anchor.

I am not familiar with those two bows,but my halon x is 35" ATA and with my 30" DL i don't think i would enjoy shooting a shorter one.

I personally can't accurately shoot any bow under 33 ata and I only have a 28 inch draw. Has to do with string angle and consistent anchor.
That seems to be my experience. It seems with a shorter ATA, unless I have a finger release that is set too long, I can never get a consistent anchor. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I've shot that way my entire life, but since I've started to learn more and have desire to improve as an Archer, Im thinking that a longer ATA would help me be able to achieve the correct form that I can't seem to consistently repeat with my current shorter ATA bow due to inconsistent anchor point.

You could also be shooting too long of a draw length
That seems to be my experience. It seems with a shorter ATA, unless I have a finger release that is set too long, I can never get a consistent anchor. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I've shot that way my entire life, but since I've started to learn more and have desire to improve as an Archer, Im thinking that a longer ATA would help me be able to achieve the correct form that I can't seem to consistently repeat with my current shorter ATA bow due to inconsistent anchor point.

I guess that could be a possibility. But I never noticed it until I went to a thumb release. Once I went to a thumb release and naturally it was much shorter than my finger release, I noticed that I could never find consistency in where my hand would fall on my face. It never seemed to feel natural at all. It always felt like i was much too far forward on my face. I'm sure most of this was due to shooting incorrectly for so many years, however after watching many other shooters (that I have confidence that their set up was more accurate than mine) it appeared that their anchor point would also fall further back closer to the ear when mine was far up on my jaw line (pretty much where I would keep a dip in, lol) I may just be overanalyzing it and thinking it's wrong when that may not be the case it may just be different. But I was thinking that a wider string angle would potentially help with my struggles on anchor point but I may not be thinking correctly with that logic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Trying to remember now because it's been a while since shot, but actually thinking back I believe that my main concern with it all, was with the current draw length set up I had with the thumb release, I was having to lean in to my string to make contact with my nose. Which was confusing to me because I didn't understand why I wasn't seeing the same issue with the finger release, or I may have been just wasn't noticing it due to it feeling more natural to me.

There are a lot of variables, but draw length should not change with a release change. Release length can vary, but draw length should not.

Draw length doesn't change with release change,but anchor point does. Most of the time you can adjust to a change with d-loop length if you are close to correct DL. I think the rule of thumb formula is your wingspan divided by 2.5. I shot too short DL for a year with my bow because the shop just threw some different mods on it without actually knowing the DL. I was shocked to find out it was 28",when i need 29.5". Once i made the switch it felt sooo right. I shoot much better now.

I got the PSE EVO NTN 33 this year, and it’s money. I’ve never drawn back a smoother bow. As far as hunting with it in the tree, all I’ve got is target practice, no real animal experience. But it’s a shooter for sure

Short ata bows do have a very steep string angle which makes for the peep being up the string farther and the anchor point needing to come deeper than you are accustomed to feel like the peep is in a familiar spot for you.And if you have a longer draw length that angle is even more pronounced.I personally never like bows less than about 35” and it is just a feel and familiarity thing mostly based on how the string and peep relate to my face.

I got the PSE EVO NTN 33 this year, and it’s money. I’ve never drawn back a smoother bow. As far as hunting with it in the tree, all I’ve got is target practice, no real animal experience. But it’s a shooter for sure

I have been contemplating an ntn 33. Haven’t shot a pse in many years. Keep hearing good things about the evolve cam.

I have been contemplating an ntn 33. Haven’t shot a pse in many years. Keep hearing good things about the evolve cam.

If you can get your hands one to shoot, I’d highly recommend it. I know PSE has been on low on people’s list for years. I went in to buy a VXR or a Hoyt, and left the shop with that NTN. I’m admittedly a Dudley fanboy, and the OD green riser w/subalpine limbs does look purty, BUT, throw all of that out the window... I was able to pull back 70 lbs easier than I could with a Mathews or Hoyt at 60 lbs. It’s insane how smooth that draw cycle is. It’s about 90% as quiet and dead in the hand as the Mathews too. The 7 inch brace works better for my arms with layers on too. The 6 was just a bit too close for comfort.

If you can get your hands one to shoot, I’d highly recommend it. I know PSE has been on low on people’s list for years. I went in to buy a VXR or a Hoyt, and left the shop with that NTN. I’m admittedly a Dudley fanboy, and the OD green riser w/subalpine limbs does look purty, BUT, throw all of that out the window... I was able to pull back 70 lbs easier than I could with a Mathews or Hoyt at 60 lbs. It’s insane how smooth that draw cycle is. It’s about 90% as quiet and dead in the hand as the Mathews too. The 7 inch brace works better for my arms with layers on too. The 6 was just a bit too close for comfort.
I definitely wouldn't know a damn thing about anything with a bow if it wasn't for John Dudley or Inside Out Precision. I did a little shooting with my bow yesterday with my trigger release and I measured the ATA on it, and it's 32". I'm absolutely death with the bow that I have. And don't plan to get rid of it, plan to keep it as a spare. But that makes me wonder if the 1" difference between that and the PSE would be enough for me to notice anything. I personally want to give PSE a try, but those deadlock cams Bowtech has to offer are hard to beat.

My Oneida is 44”. I’m shooting it with fingers but with a release I’m sure it would be awesome.

I am a 28" draw and shoot my synergy really well. It is a 33.5"ata and I love it. Before that, I shot a 31" ata bow and while I shot it good, I was not as consistent. I have to say I do not see myself jumping into a short bow anytime soon.

Decent rule of thumb is shoot an a2a that is at least as long as your draw length. I love short bows and have been stuck on my ancient Mathews DXT at 29.75 a2a. Went and shot the new VXRs this year expecting to walk away with the 28” but I hated it. Came home with the 31.5. It all came down to the extreme string angle on the shorter bow. I’m 29” DL for reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to buy the reckoning.
It got sold and was the only one around.
I bought a PSE Evoke 35 draw adjustable.
I was looking at mathews traverse as well but draw specific and yoke bushings were not for me.
Evoke or Reckoning is my vote.
Whatever you get be sure you have some valley. Don't get the extra 5 fps at the cost of valley, my lifetime experience..good luck.

Back