• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thoughts on My First Year "Trophy Hunting"

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Putting this out there to help organize my thoughts and hopefully help some folks out. I'll try and update periodically throughout the season. Below are links to 3 other wordy threads where I outline my (Dr. Sheppards, mostly) general thoughts on deer hunting.

Part 1 - https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/access-to-quality-whitetail-habitat.29115/
Part 2 - https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/hunting-where-the-pressure-is-light.31952/
Part 3 - https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/hunting-in-the-right-place.32998/

So I've killed to the best of my record-keeping ability 41 deer. Most of those within the past 10 years and most on public. I consider myself a successful deer hunter. That said, I stack odds in my favor as best as I can. I have chosen spouses, homes, and jobs based on how well they meshed with my hunting season. Many people are not as crazy and selfish. I also do not believe in self handicapping. I have no problem shooting any legal deer. Any. Legal. Deer. With any legal weapon. Most people are not as bloodthirsty.

Honestly, 80% of that is just me being me. I like finding, shooting, cleaning, and eating deer. I like it more than anything else in life and like to do it as much as I can. But, there's a little method in the mania. I have shot deer I didn't want to fool with tracking, cleaning, and eating because I believe repetition is key to learning. I have danced the dance of a successful hunt 41 times. I've got the music and the steps memorized. I'm way better at it than I was on my 1st or 10th or 20th time. I'll start by saying that I would encourage anybody who wants to be a trophy or even just a buck hunter to reconsider the popular mandate to "let 'em grow," or "pass" on deer.

But that said after killing 21 deer in the past 2 years, I consider myself ready to explore the "big buck hunter" role. Quick aside; I've killed what I consider my share of good bucks on public land. Out of 41 deer 8 are nice enough to be hanging on my wall. Honestly, I think for many hunters switching gear from "I'm going to kill me a big deer!" to "I'm going to kill the first thing that walks out" would either not change or positively impact their potential to shoot bucks. You can definitely end up with some nice deer throughout the years that way, and as a bonus you get a lot of venison!

That said, I want to switch my mindset for the season. I've taken a bit of time to define my goals to myself. First, I am limited to hunting Alabama for now. Second, I prefer to hunt public land. What is a "public land trophy buck" in that state. According to conversations with state biologists and a lifetime of hunting, any buck that exceeds 100" is a very solid buck for most of the state. They can and do grow much bigger, but a quick perusal of the record books will show that Alabama is NOT a big buck state. Your odds of running into a 140 or 150" deer are literally one in millions.

I think it's important to do some research and really define what a "good buck" is for your area. And I think for your sanity you should take the slow route and shoot deer so you can shoot bucks so you can shoot BIG bucks. I'm on step 2 or 2.5. I'm not looking to make the record books.

So on to the meat and potatoes. How does one transition from ALD (any legal deer) to MBO (mature bucks only) hunting? What changes and what stays the same?

In my mind, everything I've learned and tried to outline in the first 3 links above should still be bedrock truth. I want Access to Quality Habitat, Low Pressure within that area, and a stand location based on the deceptively simple idea that deer Eat, Hide, and Procreate with no real ability to think beyond these things. None of that changes. I believe this is the core knowledge that you have to internalize to be a good hunter, and that most of the deer talk out there is either a reskin or more detailed explanation of these ideas, inconsequential minutia of questionable value, or plain misinformation and BS. Archer tackle, camo patterns, scent control, treestand selection, and a host of other things are more entertainment than useful ideas to spend time contemplating.

Something else that I believe counter to popular opinion, and that I will continue to believe unless this year shows otherwise, is that the difficulty between harvesting a doe/young buck and a mature buck is overstated and falsely attributed to increased intelligence, cunning, survival skills, woodsmanship, etc. Deer are a smooth brained prey species and I believe the difference between the very smartest and very dumbest deer is likely too small to be noticeable to a human of average intelligence. If anything the older a brain gets, the less adept it becomes at making new neural connections so an older organism should show less ability to adapt to new information and patterns such as a piece of timber suddenly being logged or a private parcel being leased by the state and experiencing more pressure. He doesn't have a sharper nose, keener eyes, or more sensitive ears. I do not believe a big buck has any mental or even physical properties that noticeably segment him from the rest of the species EXCEPT for increased size that allows him to quite literally shove other deer out of his way. He may always have the best hiding spots, travel routes, and food source but he doesn't have it because he is smart and other deer are dumb. He has it because even though every deer in the woods knows those are good things, he is bigger so...sucks to not be him!

I believe basic statistics and basic biology support my theory. In a short-lived prey species with high reproductive rates and high mortality, there will always be more young than elderly. And when you have a very unnatural predator who selectively kills accounting not for ease of killing and eating (which would result in a roughly 50-50 mix between sexes and a preference for some combination of infirm, very young, or very old) but for sex and health (strong preference for male at the peak of fitness) you will have an even more skewed ration between old and young deer. Take an already small subset (deer who have survived to 4.5 years or better) and split it in half (just the males) and a mature buck becomes a 1 in 100 or 1 in 1,000 animal. I think this scarcity, and not any ability that can be attributed to a buck, makes him a tough target to acquire.

So what does this mean? Basically, my strategy for this year does not change much. I don't really plan on hunting higher in a tree, or wearing a ghillie suit, or upping my scent control game, or spending more time plotting what a deer could be thinking and feeling while he's moving through a tract, or doing anything really to account for a notion that I'm hunting a wilier animal. I am thinking about it in terms of finding a smaller needle in the same size haystack.

To that end, I've revisited the spreadsheet I made with trophy, harvest, and demographic data. I have selected about 8 counties out of 68 in my state where the numbers say I have a remarkably higher chance of stumbling across a mature buck while hunting. I whittled that down to 4 that are within feasible weekend hunt distance and plan on driving 1.5 to 3 hours each weekend and doing a whole lot of car camping.

I've also broken my rule about no summertime scouting. Most of the parcels I've identified are new to me. I do not like summer scouting because in addition to summer in the deep south being a horrible time to be in the woods, you get very little useful intel. Deer pattern now are not what they will be when acorns start dropping and pressure hits. Last years rut sign is dim. And I have a harder time seeing the deer that I just jumped and determining age, sex, and quantity. But I'm pressed for time and what I regard as the most important sign is visible still, albeit barely.

Big rubs. In almost every area where I have killed a big buck, put somebody else on a big buck, or seen a big buck, I have identified larger than average rubs in that area. These rubs stand out because they are usually around hip high vs knee high, located on bigger trees, show distinctive scarring from antler base pearling, more likely to be accompanied by a licking branch, have broken branches, and show damage to brush behind or beside the actual rub. Currently, I stand as a believer that while a big buck may make a small rub and a small buck may make a large rub, a rub that fits the above criteria very likely belongs to a good buck and is the surest indicator that big bucks exist in an area. Finding sizeable sheds is also nice and I have done it, but a buck will leave more rubs than sheds and they last longer. And of course, jumping a deer with nice velvet antlers this time of year is also acceptable proof of potential.

Last weekend I went to a new-to-me parcel of public that fit my general criteria for "potential big buck spot." It has good soil, low human population, and is in a big buck county. Unfortunately, what I predicted was the result I got from scouting. It's good to great deer hunting, and questionable big buck hunting. The habitat looked good. I saw extremely little hunter sign. I jumped 3 deer walking it. There's food, cover, and identifiable travel routes and funnels between those things. There's even buck sign. But there were no big rubs and the bachelor group of bucks I saw cross the road 2 miles away were all little nubbies.

Is it possible that there is a good buck in that area come hunting season? Absolutely! Am I tempted to go back? Oh my gosh, yes!! I very much want to believe that a little more looking could turn up a few big rubs, or that since the area is obviously solid that come rut a nice buck may cruise the main rubline I found. But...

I have acquired some faith in my scouting abilities recently. Over the past 2 years I have had 3 opportunities to scout and hunt 3 subparcels of land that were sections of a larger area that is draw-permit only. Very nice hunting with antler restrictions and strict management. Each tract was roughly 500-600 acres in size and located within 2-3 miles of one another, but they had very different features and scouting revealed very different sign and hunting results varied greatly.

Parcel number 1 I jumped literally dozens of deer, several of which were bucks. 1 was a very nice buck that I instantly knew made antler restrictions. There were several areas that had desirable rubs as I have described them. After seeing all of that, I told my dad that I believed it was very possible for both of us to kill a nice buck on it, and almost certain to kill 1 between us. My dad shot his biggest buck ever on the first sit, and after 3 days of hard hunting I finally shot a respectable buck as well.

Parcel number 2 I scouted with a buddy. I jumped plenty of deer, but only located 1 area that said "big buck." It was a creek drainage where we jumped a nice looking but smallish buck, found a respectable shed antler, and came across a few nice rubs. I told my buddy I thought we had a decent chance at a buck but didn't feel like it was a slam dunk tract. We had a great weekend playing cat and mouse with a bachelor group in early archery season, and I almost took a shot at the biggest buck but passed because he was borderline and it was the first day. My buddy had the same scenario play out the next day. Day 3 I located what I believe was a different deer, but it was on the very edge of the property close to neighboring private and I don't believe that property was really his core area. About a month later an acquaintance also got drawn to hunt that parcel and had no luck getting on a buck.

Parcel number 3 I scouted and was frankly a little upset. Once again, awesome habitat and I jumped lots of deer. However, while I did find 2 small sheds and some rubs, I saw no big bucks and no big buck sign. My dad and I hunted it hard for 3 days and shot 5 does, but never saw a single buck older than 1.5.

In all 3 scenarios the hunting matched the scouting. While "anything is possible" I believe that a reasonably competent hunter should expect the hunting to always match the scouting, and never let high hopes get in the way of common sense. I do not think it makes sense to hold out hopes for deer that are not leaving sign. If you do you're hoping, and not hunting. Given that a good, honest scouting trip revealed does and young bucks, I assume that if you hunted that area you would be very likely to kill those things, and not that likely to kill a big buck. Conclusion? Keep looking!

I am anticipating that this will be the greatest challenge of killing a mature buck. Finding him in the first place. Fortunately I have lots of public property in likely areas. Unfortunately I have limited time to devote to picking the right parcel. I do have 2 properties "in reserve" with 3 stands that I believe are very good. I would like at the barest minimum to find one more. Then in theory I should have 3 properties that hold good bucks, 3 buck tags, and 4 stands to hunt. I'd hunt the best one opening weekend and hope to catch a deer off guard, and rotate between the 4 during the rut.

Which brings me to another thought. Most big bucks get shot during the rut. I've noticed that the increased deer activity this period brings usually only lasts a week to 2 weeks in my area. During that time period hunting is good and even a non hunter who is observant will often comment on seeing lots of deer while driving around rural areas. Luckily, between the several areas I have identified there are 3 distinct rut timeframes according to the state. I can potentially rut hunt from December 25th until February 10th. That should be a major advantage perhaps unique to my general geographic region. But it also means that to fully capitalize on that I need 3 times as many rut stand locations.

In general, I anticipate that success will hinge on more driving and scouting and less sitting and hunting. For the past 5 years I have been able to fill at least 1 tag with a nice buck, and I have what I regard as above-average amount of experience killing deer in general. I am not particularly worried with my ability to "finish" on a deer. IE know when to take the shot, make the shot a good one, and find the dead deer. I do worry about not being able to locate enough good hunting locations to support 3 good bucks, and my own baser instincts shouting at me to murder the first little 6 that walks out. I also wonder if years of setting up with the intent to kill the first victim will impede success. Eberhart sure thinks it will. :)

I know that's a wall of text. Maybe it helps someone. Just getting it in writing has helped cement my plan in my mind. I'd love to talk turkey with anybody who has a history of regularly shooting big deer, especially if you disagree with my thoughts. I may be an argumentative cuss but I genuinely like to have my beliefs line up with reality. A fella who goes through life believing 2+2=5 is in for a rough existence.

I wish I had some intel for ya… all I know is don’t shoot the small ones if you want a big one haha. I’m curious to hear everyone’s responses. Goodluck this season Nutter!

What part of Bama? I’ve hunted it only once but hunted near eufala on Georgia side. South end definitely a 100” is solid, but I know some guys from GA that killed some 120-130s. I’ve seen several come out of north area that are 130-150 and up to 170s. So I wouldn’t sell your state short, plenty of big ones, way better than our outlook in Florida!

Big bucks are more solitary, if you are seeing lots of deer, you are less likely to see big deer. Hunt where you have the big sign and see nothing 30 times then all the sudden a big ones comes in.

That can change a good bit during the rut.

Best of luck, many people don’t have the patience for it, myself included. I’ve killed 3 between 130-150, I hope to kill more but I’m too happy with 130s to wait for 160s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a slight tweak to your "old big deer aren't much smarter than the average deer" and that we couldn't notice the difference anyway...

I like the idea that the theory of natural selection reveals that the bucks that adhere to their instincts better than the rest of the herd will survive the longest. This means that big old bucks just don't make as many mistakes as other deer. They aren't smarter. They're more disciplined.

At the same time, natural selection doesn't work without variance. Which means a hefty chunk of those mature bucks just got "lucky" and walked just out of range of hunters, or in range of the crappy shots.

Which all supports the "no harder to kill, just less of them to kill" theory. From a perspective that might not get the big buck messiahs all riled up. Come to think of it, maybe it would be more fun to see them get riled up, followed by you succeeding.

Oh well. Hopefully the rest of the state will take advantage of those dumb young deer you're leaving out there for them!

I have limited success chasing mature bucks. I can for sure say bucks aren’t in the same place now as they will be after the velvet comes off and rubs are tough to find this time of year. The deer trails that are easy to see now may not be the ones bucks are using come fall. That said there should still be some nice ones coming out of bedding areas from last year during the rut. I’d put a cheap camera on a beat down trail headed to an ag field and just see what shows up.

Making the switch from brown it’s down to trophy hunting on public land is a humbling experience for most, I think you have the right work ethic to be successful, I also believe knowing how to “finish the deal” sure helps when the time comes to make the shot, bow or rifle, I also know there is zero correlation to hunting dink bucks and doe, compared to trophy animals, they are on their own level entirely, and it’s not just because of the low number of “trophy” bucks, I wish you the best of luck this season, the chase is 90% of the fun, this would be a great thread to revisit in about.... oh lets say 5 years, and see if your opinions have changed any! Shoot straight!

So are you trying to target mature bucks or "good bucks"? You said a 100" deer is a very solid buck for your area, so is that the goal? If the area has even decent genetics and nutrition you'll probably have some bucks reaching that size by 2.5 and most should be over 100" by 3.5 "Very solid bucks" for sure, but definitely not mature. If in your county an average 4.5 year old buck is 140 pounds and 110 inches, and you travel to a county that actually has good genetics and nutrition you could easily mistake a 180 pound 125 inch 3.5 year old as a giant mature buck. A 140" is nowhere near a one in a million deer, in any state. Maybe certain areas of some states are close to that, but not statewide. One in 10,000 maybe? One in a million would mean there's like one 140" deer in the state of Alabama. Wouldn't doubt if there are guys down there killing a 140" most years. If your goal is 100" I'd bet you'll tag out. If your goal is 4, 5, 6+ year old deer, I think your opinion that "they're just like all the other deer" might change. But you can't shoot 2 and 3 year old "good bucks" and make inferences about mature ones.

So are you trying to target mature bucks or "good bucks"? You said a 100" deer is a very solid buck for your area, so is that the goal? If the area has even decent genetics and nutrition you'll probably have some bucks reaching that size by 2.5 and most should be over 100" by 3.5 "Very solid bucks" for sure, but definitely not mature. If in your county an average 4.5 year old buck is 140 pounds and 110 inches, and you travel to a county that actually has good genetics and nutrition you could easily mistake a 180 pound 125 inch 3.5 year old as a giant mature buck. A 140" is nowhere near a one in a million deer, in any state. Maybe certain areas of some states are close to that, but not statewide. One in 10,000 maybe? One in a million would mean there's like one 140" deer in the state of Alabama. Wouldn't doubt if there are guys down there killing a 140" most years. If your goal is 100" I'd bet you'll tag out. If your goal is 4, 5, 6+ year old deer, I think your opinion that "they're just like all the other deer" might change. But you can't shoot 2 and 3 year old "good bucks" and make inferences about mature ones.

I will admit I'm fuzzy on good vs mature vs trophy. Don't have a large enough personal sample size. As stated, I'm going by what 3 state biologists say would make a "mature" buck. 18" beams and 16" inside spread. I'd say 100" would be my rough minimum looking at deer I've harvested in the past, with no limit on top size.

Alabama has a lot of sandy, scrubby stuff very similar to Florida. Most of the land mass is poor soil quality and an average 4.5 buck will not hit 140lbs. In the areas where the soil is better and/or deer were imported from other states, absolutely there are bigger deer. My dad's biggest buck before last year was a 6.5 year 8 point who weighed 111lbs. Have 150 and 160 inch deer been recorded. Yes. Are they prevalent enough to be a realistic target for any public land hunter? Absolutely not. They're a lottery ticket.

I'll also admit my hyperbole. But, I just checked the P&Y record bucks for Alabama and the harvest data provided by the state. In the last 5 years there have been not quite 1 million deer reported as harvested by Alabama hunters. There have been 7 P&Y entries. 1 scored in the 140s. 0 broke 150. My subscription to the B&C online database has expired, but based on the information I have stored I doubt there is more than 1 or 2 deer in that period at most. Are there more in the woods than are recorded? Sure. But neither you nor I can do anything useful with that.

Bonus points. Your home state of NJ has 33 P&Y bucks in 5 years. 1 broke 150. 9 were in the 140s.

Wanna throw spaghetti at the wall or talk numbers?

@OspreyZB makes some solid points.

I’ve not killed 41 deer but I have killed some “ good” bucks. And even some mature good bucks. Of my 9 bucks 2 are over 150” 2 over 140” and the rest are between 120–130”

FWIW, In my experience Finding a mature buck is the hardest part of killing a mature buck. I have plenty of 2.5-3.5 120” deer running around on camera but finding a 4.5 or older bucks is challenging. Even in KY most of the 2.5 year olds get killed.
If you’re not running cameras or laying eyes on mature bucks then you’re just “hoping” instead of hunting. Why hunt an area that “feels” or “looks” good without confirmation of a buck being there? I’ve made that mistake many times.
Finding big bucks for me also largely depends on off season scouting. I’ll log 100’s of miles of scouting in the off season. I don’t hardly squirrel hunt, Turkey hunt, or even fish any more because I devote that time to scouting. Even in a great deer state like KY it’s difficult to find mature bucks.

Also, I think that hunting mature deer is way different than just hunting deer. I didnt think that way until I started hunting them. They are an entirely different creature it seems like. On my 3 biggest bucks they were the only deer I saw the entire hunt.

I hope you tag a big one cause it sure is fun and it’s 100% worth it! Be prepared for a lot of frustration and a lot of sits without seeing deer. It just means you’re doing it right! Good luck to ya

The depth and breadth of terrain, habitat, and climate that deer inhabit is amazing. It allows these types of differences in deer size to occur. It also makes for incredibly entertaining banter.

@Nutterbuster Also, I’ve not registered any of my bucks in P&Y. Neither have my hunting buddies who kill P&Y deer. Most people around here in KY that I know who kill big deer don’t bother with record books.
So take that for what it’s worth…
That's a totally fair point. I have 2 questions.

1. How does a person go about making judgement calls on which states and counties are statistically more likely to produce big bucks given that only a percentage of them are ever reported.

2. What percentage of big bucks do you think never get reported? 10%? 30%? 98%? And with that being said, do you think that number is constant across states and counties or that some areas are more or less prone to reporting?

Bonus question: Is there more value to choosing your hunting ground after analyzing an incomplete but large database with thousands of samples, or just assuming that "if I work hard and hunt smart I'll find a big one because every property most likely has one."

Another bonus question. Can the people who say big bucks are "different animals" than "does and young bucks" describe exactly what makes them so different, without leaning on personal or secondhand anecdotes? Is there an independently published, peer reviewed scholarly or scientific source that documents specific and measurable differences in "huntability" of deer based on age and sex?

I'm not saying I'm not full of fluff. I'm saying that in almost 30 years I have observed few demographics more full of fluff than deer hunters, and I'm throwing down a friendly but serious gauntlet. Prove to me, in a manner that leaves everybody who reads this thread quite convinced, that Nutterbuster has no idea what he thinks he's talking about. I promise not to get feelings hurt, but to also not drop the bone until I'm satisfied. :)

@Nutterbuster

1) call taxidermists and ask questions. My taxidermist will talk your ear off.

2) there’s no way to know for sure.That’s why I brought it up. I’m guessing in areas worth more bigger bucks then it’s less people reporting it record books because a 130” deer isn’t that rare.

Bonus) those are big words and I’m not sure what you’re asking… but I don’t assume every property has a big buck. I actually assume most properties don’t have a big buck. You can hunt as hard as you want but if a property doesn’t have mature bucks then you won’t kill one. Even if that county has a lot of P&Y kills.

bonus #2)
A cursory google search will show some good articles
Here’s a good one to start https://www.deerassociation.com/what-scientists-learned-that-changed-how-they-hunt-mature-bucks/

I hope my tone wasn’t argumentative. I don’t like to argue. Just wishing you the best and trying to provide some insight as you start to target mature deer. I started getting on better deer when I stopped thinking I knew it all amd took advice from other people. I’m still trying to learn and I have a long ways to go.

Another bonus question. Can the people who say big bucks are "different animals" than "does and young bucks" describe exactly what makes them so different, without leaning on personal or secondhand anecdotes? Is there an independently published, peer reviewed scholarly or scientific source that documents specific and measurable differences in "huntability" of deer based on age and sex?

I could answer all of those questions you had in person but I ain't gonna sit here and peck on this tablet all night... :unamused:

BUT I'll chime in on the one I quoted.
They are absolutely " different animals"! I speak from years of first hand experience not "anecdotes".

There are big bucks where I live. They don't get big because they are lucky. They get big because they are smart enough to know when someone is in their territory. Once they know that things change! They become nocturnal and find cover and stay there... "Kicking out" a big buck is going to DRASTICALLY reduce your chance of ever even seeing him again let alone him coming back there in daylight hours! Once again - I know this, I've seen it many times.

Once in a while someone will get lucky in rifle season and shoot one that is circling another hunter but that's rare!
The guys that shoot big bucks consistently ARE NOT LUCKY.

I could go on and on about some of the things I learned from old bucks but I can't type it all out.

Last edited:

You should talk to Bill Thompson at Spartan Forge about this, if you want unbiased scientific data.

Back