• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thread/needle for sewing Knaider/Swaider

IkemanTX

I’m looking for needle/thread combinations for sewing the Knaider/swaiders
I hope to be able to get these knocked out next week and needed to plan ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been stitching stuff with a speedy-stitcher, a denim needle, and 40lb braid fishing line. Haven't hit the ground yet.

Ya, I’ve got the speedy stitched, but I’m wanting to do this with a sewing machine to make it as solid as possible. And to make it look a little better.

Ya, I’ve got the speedy stitched, but I’m wanting to do this with a sewing machine to make it as solid as possible. And to make it look a little better.

Speedy stitcher can make a stitch just as tight and neat as a hand stitcher. It's more tedious though. You could use a denim needle in your machine. Spooling spyderwire may not be advisable.

@IkemanTX what machine are you running? If it's a home machine, go as big as it will take with both needle and thread. Since I have a Juki commercial walking foot now, I'm running a TEX 90 thread with a 20/120 needle.

With a home machine you might be able to get by with a TEX 70 and a size 18/100 needle. It all depends on your machine.

Speedy stitcher can make a stitch just as tight and neat as a hand stitcher. It's more tedious though. You could use a denim needle in your machine. Spooling spyderwire may not be advisable.

If I use the speedy stitcher, I’ll have to work on my skills a good bit. Lol
Do they sell those speedy stitcher needles at hobby shops? The only needle I have is pretty sharp.

@IkemanTX what machine are you running? If it's a home machine, go as big as it will take with both needle and thread. Since I have a Juki commercial walking foot now, I'm running a TEX 90 thread with a 20/120 needle.

With a home machine you might be able to get by with a TEX 70 and a size 18/100 needle. It all depends on your machine.

I’ll have to check what it is. It is my stepmother’s machine. I know it is a fairly heavy consumer version, but I don’t know it’s limitations.

Looks like the max is
130/705H-J 100/16

I have no clue what that means, though...

Looks like the max is
130/705H-J 100/16

I have no clue what that means, though...

So the max needle size that one will take is a 16/100. You might be able to run a TEX 70 thread with that.

Have you looked at the sewing resources sticky at the top of the DIY forum? Lots of good info there.

There’s a needle and thread sizing chart on there. It’s very helpful.

So who wants to make me a KNaider and SWaider? PayPal is awaiting! Seriously I’m not kidding ... anyone looking to make some $?

Have thought a few times lately about braided line for sewing. So the thought is not good for a machine?? How about speedy stitcher? I did my knaider/swaider with the speedy, worked great!

Do they sell those speedy stitcher needles at hobby shops? The only needle I have is pretty sharp.

I have used regular sewing machine needles in the speedy stitch. I used a denim needle to sew my sit drag. It’s a little more tedious getting a loop to run the thread on the backside but very doable. It makes a smaller hole and it is easier to push through.

Alright, I think I’m going to do my first set with the speedy stitcher.

I may come back after and re-do them with a sewing machine in the future if I end up needing to change something.
The needle I have is doing well with the straps, and I can pick up some braided fishing line tomorrow.

I would use the speedy stitcher, I broke 2 machines using the largest needle and thread it could supposedly use. Wife got a new machine that isn't any heavier duty. #Sadface

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can chuck any sewing machine needle in there. I would definitely recommend swapping out the stock needle. As far as skills, the easiest thing to do is trace a line where possible, and then stitch along the line. I did mine with a pencil and ruler. Stitch spacing is pretty simple, just match the spacing of the last stitch you did!

The results are awesome, and it's about the cheapest diy gear you can buy. The downside is it's super slow, and requires just enough focus that you can't watch TV while doing it. I usually pour a drink to sip and play the radio. Not a horrible way to spend a rainy day.

You can chuck any sewing machine needle in there. I would definitely recommend swapping out the stock needle. As far as skills, the easiest thing to do is trace a line where possible, and then stitch along the line. I did mine with a pencil and ruler. Stitch spacing is pretty simple, just match the spacing of the last stitch you did!

The results are awesome, and it's about the cheapest diy gear you can buy. The downside is it's super slow, and requires just enough focus that you can't watch TV while doing it. I usually pour a drink to sip and play the radio. Not a horrible way to spend a rainy day.

Ya, I was pretty proficient a few years ago when I was sewing up my first sliders and when G2 made us all buy sit drags and modify them! I first bought it to make a @ken1320 Molle belt saddle, if that tells you how long ago......

I just am a perfectionist, and I can’t get the stitching perfect..

I picked up some 40lb spiderwire braided fishing line and will try to throw them together today on my day off. I need to put together a PVC bow and arrow stand today too.

Exactly this - I find it's like pool, bowling, and other games of skill. One drink and I start hitting my stride. What I haven't figured out is the speed at which to consume numbers two and three while stitching - I usually end up bleeding. I had to get a machine, I just couldn't quite dial it in.

Well, I ran out what I had of the original thread, then finished it with the 40lb spiderwire fishing line.

Not nearly as neat as I’d like, bet it holds me without budging.
dbfb56ea742320bcdec7cb27d1f3d95d.jpg

Back