• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Throw rope helper

Chimney7

I'm new to saddle hunting, this will be my first year, first year bowhunting as well. I'm somewhat of a knot/rope enthusiast so after making my saddle and researching ways to get into a tree, the single rope technique really caught my eye. I've been practicing and it is the most comfortable and what feels the safest for me. I do a fair amount of work at heights in my professional life, so I'm comfortable with trusting my gear. The only problem I've been having is getting the initial throw rope into a tree, and I've seen that appears to be the big hitch (ha) with the SRT. I've seen the throw bags that arborists use for their throw ropes, and being a hardcore DIYer I thought about how I could make one, thought about it for awhile and came up with something that I thought would be a little more practical for hunting and carrying around in a pack.

The pictures are what I came up with. It's a peice of cherry roughly 9" long maybe 2" wide and about 3/4" thick with two 1/2" oak dowels. Maybe 4" long. The idea is to figure eight the line around the dowels, hold it in my non throwing hand about chest high with the dowels pointed upwards. It let's the line unravel off the dowels easily. So instead of fighting the underbrush and throwing as hard as I can and having my weight go about fen feet and get snagged, I'm batting .1000 with this. Tried the prototype out a few times and never missed. It takes a minute to figure 8 all the line on there, but theres no frustration like there is trying to throw a knotted mess into a tree.

So far it's going great. But it's all just practice, come game time we'll see how it goes. Maybe this will help any of you srt types out there that are having a hard time with the throw rope.
912dfd874281139e29d7542b219238f4.jpg
ea95d93bc0e38faaf6dc8c94b35cfc65.jpg
898c9506f0e6935abbee421fa4653646.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I use 2 hands to throw in a V configuration. Chest mount for your device? I have not had any problem with my regular system just on the original fishing line spool. I'm glad your system works for you. I tried large steel nuts and pvc pipe elbows as a weight. Nothing worked as well as the arborist throwbag.

Nothing worked as well as the arborist throwbag.

I believe that. I'm using a giant washer from work, if it bonks me in the face I'm going down. I'm working on making my own throwbag.

Back