• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tilted trees

Drslyr

Im sure its been posted before but what side of a tilted tree do you guys setup on and why?

Top side - the side you’d be on if it was a ladder. John Eberhart explains it in his recent YouTube vid on the advantages of saddle hunting:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends on the amount of lean....a heavy lean and I'm on the top side and a slight lean I'll be on the bottom......that is the situation that needs 2 to be practice most IMO....getting comfortable with the gravity swing and understand how it affects the way u can or cant move around the tree and how that limits your shooting abilities

I like the tree slightly leaning towards my face personally. Prevents you from swinging around the tree and gives you more stability when standing on one foot.

Also, takes pressure off the body and knees when you are sitting instead of leaning/standing!

If it’s much lean you’ll find me on top. Otherwise I’ll setup where I feel like I need to be to move the least amount should deer show up where J expect them to.

If it’s much lean you’ll find me on top. Otherwise I’ll setup where I feel like I need to be to move the least amount should deer show up where J expect them to.
This^^^ for me. By setting up on top I can easily move around the tree if I want. I find if set up on the bottom of even a slight leaner its more difficult swinging back up around to the top side. That said, I will change this up if I need to get my strong side toward the edge I'm watching. I've spent a few really uncomfortable sits sitting perpendicular to the lean because that put me strong side facing where I felt I needed to be.

I've spent a few really uncomfortable sits sitting perpendicular to the lean because that put me strong side facing where I felt I needed to be.

I had lots of uncomfortable sits the first full season I saddle hunted. I had this new saddle and could hunt all these trees I was unable to hunt before. Well just because you can doesn’t mean you should. If you catch me in a severe leaner now it’s because I felt like the sign was too good not to hunt it and there were no other suitable trees nearby.

I climb SRT so the low side is best for me. Otherwise, I keep swinging to the low side. If the tree was a severe leaner I would be climbing in free air and not even touching the tree. I would avoid those unless it was the only choice.

Back