• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tips for climbing larger trees?

caddis75

Good morning,

I am a second year hunter. I use two tree climbing methods, srt and 2tc. I was scouting and found a scrape line to hunt. Of course the tree in the best position was a large oak tree. I have a 76 in wingspan and could just get my hands around it. I normally only hunt trees that are as wide as a basketball, but the location was prime. Due to the height and location of the branches I couldnt get a throw ball up there to srt. So I decided to 2TC. My one tether is canyon rope and the other is amsteel from cgm. I was using a thigh strap.

I normally can get up a tree in a few minutes, but this took forever. The oak bark was a pain to move my tethers up. My shoulders were fried.

Besides looking for a smaller tree, since it's location is so good and it was wide enough to block my view as deer come up the path, are there any tips you have to climbing larger trees?

I am going to scout Saturday for other trees, but just wondering if I am missing something.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigger trees are harder, but you can get up them. If it is a tree you know about in advance, a pre-season test climb will help you out knowing what to do when it matter.

It might take a bit longer, but you could do it like arborists. Get your throwball and line over a lower branch. SRT up, tether in, then throw your line up to the next suitable branch, climb up. Repeat until at the height you want.

If the branches are within arms reach and you can actually climb the tree, use the alternating lanyard (tether) method. Just girth hitch your tether around a branch. Climb up and use your other tether to tie in, repeat until at height. Lots of arborist videos on this method.

I can't offer any more climbing methods that haven't already been said but I use srt on huge cottonwoods around here. There are trees I climb where bolts aren't even an option unless you're willing to free climb.
I have an extendable pole I bring with on the first hunt on super difficult trees to get the rope around and from then on out it'll be preset with paracord or masons line.

Good morning,

I am a second year hunter. I use two tree climbing methods, srt and 2tc. I was scouting and found a scrape line to hunt. Of course the tree in the best position was a large oak tree. I have a 76 in wingspan and could just get my hands around it. I normally only hunt trees that are as wide as a basketball, but the location was prime. Due to the height and location of the branches I couldnt get a throw ball up there to srt. So I decided to 2TC. My one tether is canyon rope and the other is amsteel from cgm. I was using a thigh strap.

I normally can get up a tree in a few minutes, but this took forever. The oak bark was a pain to move my tethers up. My shoulders were fried.

Besides looking for a smaller tree, since it's location is so good and it was wide enough to block my view as deer come up the path, are there any tips you have to climbing larger trees?

I am going to scout Saturday for other trees, but just wondering if I am missing something.

Thanks

Did you leave a preset loop in the tree when you were up in it? If not, keep some cord/line with you to leave behind so that if you want to climb again you can SRT.

Bolts work great for big trees. And a large diameter stiff lineman’s belt.

if bolts aren’t an option, sticks with a rope you can throw around the tree.

I cant figure out if bolts are legal in state game lands in PA. Will keep loooking though.

Did you leave a preset loop in the tree when you were up in it? If not, keep some cord/line with you to leave behind so that if you want to climb again you can SRT.

Forgot. Lol.

I cant figure out if bolts are legal in state game lands in PA. Will keep loooking though.

They are not legal on public land in PA.
I know a guy that got a $100 fine just for screwing a little bow hanger into a tree on PA game lands. Damn wardens walked in on him at 8 am of opening day of bow season.

One trick I saw somewhere with big trees is to use your stick to go around the tree instead of the rope, much easier to grab. I use that technique everywhere now and it's so much better than just the rope. I have one monster tree I regularly climb that I've used that method on a few times with no issues. Back when I used a climber I had my viper on that tree, so it's not so big a climber won't fit. But it may have been maxed out though. Been a few years since I used the climber on it.

Back