• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tired of Tactacam Scalpers

Amarty734

I have been on the hunt for a Reveal X for a few months and finally got my hands on a few from Cabelas after they were included in their current ad. The demand was so insane that they had a wait list with most of the cameras being sold before they actually got to the store. I was fortunate enough to make it on the list and get two but many others did not. They had 150 Verizon and 150 AT&T shipped to the store and sell out in the first day. People were coming from hours away to get them. Now two days later my entire FB marketplace is full of people asking for $180-$200 per camera and claiming that they have 10 of them to sell. No wonder people can't find stuff when they need it. I am tired of people just trying to rip of others to make a buck. I could have bought the full 4 camera per person limit but I don't need that many so I left them for the next guy. Just my little rant about some people being ****ty...

Really? Dang, I might part with one of mine at that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like mine to much to let it go, plus I can’t charge someone more than 2x I paid lol times are crazy.

Stop viewing a piece of equipment you need in terms of the number listed on the internet. Start viewing a piece of equipment in terms of how much value it adds to your life. Buy things when their value to you is higher or equal to what they cost. Don’t when they aren’t.

you’ll be much happier and remove a lot of the stress in your life.

plus you can probably find about 100 examples from your own life of using the same logic these “scalpers” are implementing. It just may not appear the same.

life is good dude.

Can someone give me the basic rundown on why this camera specifically is so good? I get the supply/demand aspect of the price, I'm just wondering why the demand? There are plenty of other cameras on the market?

When I was first developing an interest in saddle hunting I was trying to buy a used old school Trophyline saddle. The company had just gone out of business and supply was short with high demand. Those things were selling for $400+ on ebay. Just the sign of a seller's market . . .

It's not scalping it's retail arbitrage.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Indeed! Many people do not know how prevalent retail arbitrage really is. One could just search “retail arbitrage” on YouTube and have a whole lot of watching.

My wife works as a “marketing rep” where she stocks certain products in retail stores. She goes to different stores. She has people following her and fighting to grab the product before she gets it on the shelf.

She had someone follow her to our house, then park around the corner the next day to see when she left for work and would follow her. Cops got involved. Good thing because if I had to get involved, it would not have gone well.

Store put limits on purchases. People took quantities above the limit and hid them in different areas of the stores to pick up later.

It is insane what is done for profit.

And they use technology too for online arbitrage. Google sneaker bot wars. My son likes the sneakers. Tried to get them many times when they were released online. Just to have them almost immediately sold out, then sold by individuals with a markup of 400% or more. I am a code slinger and thought I would code up a bot for one sneaker release. Then I chickened out, as it could have severe negative repercussions for my career if found out.

Ticketmaster fought bots. It is a spy v spy world.

I see no end to this. Maybe just be a contrarian and like/buy things the masses are not buying.

It's insane. The tactacams aren't that good... They're decent for retail price, but if you pay more than retail for one, you get closer to the price of decent cameras.

I ran 6 of the original tactacams all last season. The app was garbage and half the time I couldn't even tell what I was looking at in the pic. Sold them at the end of the season for exactly what I paid for them. Running all Spartans now. It's insane really.

For a $100 camera the reveals are excellent. They struggle to keep up with demand. I have seen guys go to the store and buy all they have in stock and run 50+ cams…. They must cover every square inch of their property. The monthly cost to run all them must be insane.

It's insane. The tactacams aren't that good... They're decent for retail price, but if you pay more than retail for one, you get closer to the price of decent cameras.

I ran 6 of the original tactacams all last season. The app was garbage and half the time I couldn't even tell what I was looking at in the pic. Sold them at the end of the season for exactly what I paid for them. Running all Spartans now. It's insane really.

Ya just based what I have seen of the stabilizer cam gimmick, their game cams cant be that great.

Either Bass Pro or Cabelas (I forget which one) in Hookset MA had 150 the other day of each (Verizon and AT&T). Two guys came in and bought all of the Verizon boasting about how they were going to double their money (according to the sales rep). He also added that they informed him they don't even hunt. :rage:

Either Bass Pro or Cabelas (I forget which one) in Hookset MA had 150 the other day of each (Verizon and AT&T). Two guys came in and bought all of the Verizon boasting about how they were going to double their money (according to the sales rep). He also added that they informed him they don't even hunt. :rage:

Pretty dam slick.

I get that everybody is out to make a lazy buck, but is it really worth it? I just don't get it

what do you do for a living? Unless you run a completely self sufficient farm, you’re likely making similar tradeoffs, with similar externalities.

rent seeking is annoying. But it is likely responsible for some significant portion of your own income. Directly or indirectly. But you have a choice. And you’re judging people for making the same choice as you.

disregard if you’re actually a completely self sufficient person engaging in zero commerce with the US economy.

@kyler1945 I am not claiming that there is no place for seeking profit. I have gladly spent more money than I probably should have supporting small hunting businesses. There difference to me is the businesses put time and work into developing a product that will make them the money. These scalpers are just being opportunistic and hurting a specific target community for their own gain, they didn't do any of the work to make the cameras but they sure are willing to make money on them. I could have scalped them too but I chose not too because I wanted the next guy to have the same opportunity to have the cameras at the same price I got them. I don't want to make money off something I do not put my own pride in.

I am an engineer so I am responsible for designing products that I would be willing to buy for my own home. We have strict standards and if our designs don't hold up to that then my engineering team does not release the design. Yes we have a sales team who prices our products in a way that our company profits at the expense of the consumer. The difference is that we have invested a piece of ourselves into the product that we sell them so we have earned the right to earn our salary. These scalpers just think about themselves and not the person that they are taking more money from than they aren't entitled to.

Back