• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

To the people who have tried both: Sticks vs WE..

DanielB89

I LOVE the idea of the WE steps. Small, compact, relatively efficient. But, I just can't get away from my sticks.

So i'm curious, why do you prefer one over the other?

I could not get the WE steps to work for me. Some people can, some people cant. I am in the latter group. Sticks is what I will be using. For me they are easier to use. Bulkier, heavier, but easier.

I have WE stepps to get me up in the dark, I repell down or SRT climb if possible. Sticks are too big and bulky and require mods to be efficient.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I have had hipp and both knees replaced. The steps on sticks are a little to far apart for the bend in my knees. I use a 16 pack of wildedge stepps. I can space them closer together.

I have helium sticks, steps, and a hand climber. I used the hand climber 80% of the time last year. Gonna try out steps this season

I have helium sticks, steps, and a hand climber. I used the hand climber 80% of the time last year. Gonna try out steps this season
Interesting. I may have to try out the hand climber method. Most of my trees are straight as hell and minimum branches.

I was getting my gear together this year and loaded my sticks onto my pack. Once I put it on, I was reminded how much I despised the added weight and bulk as I moved through the woods compared to the steps. I think it would be different if I had a clear walk to my tree, but navigating the thick stuff with sticks was a PITA for me.

I have recently sold all my sticks except 1. I'll be using 1 stick (after some practice), 5 WE Steps, or squirrel steps (as I can afford them). I was able to hunt a few sits with the steps last season and had no issue. Got pretty high with 4 steps and swaider/knaider.

Tried the climber. Didn't much care for it.
Haven't tried the 1 stick yet, but dig the bulk/weight.
Have played on some steps, but not squirrel steps yet. Have some in the mail. Plan is to compare them with the cranford rope steps and decide from there.

I’ve got both and use both. I use 6 steps via the Cain method and get to around 20’. With 3 cut down API sticks and an aider I can get to the same height. They are each about 6-7 lbs. I like the WE steps for longer hikes through thick brush cause they don’t get hung up. I like sticks for shorter hikes in farm country on trees that I’ve prepped. I think sticks are a bit easier in the sense that there’s only 3 things to attach to the tree instead of 6. But neither way is too difficult with practice. Practice practice practice.

The WE steps were great on most trees and were fairly quick up the tree. My biggest reason to stick with my heliums sticks is that with 4 sticks, that's 4 ropes around the tree for 12 steps. Same weight of 12 WE steps just with 8 less ropes to tie.

The WE steps were great on most trees and were fairly quick up the tree. My biggest reason to stick with my heliums sticks is that with 4 sticks, that's 4 ropes around the tree for 12 steps. Same weight of 12 WE steps just with 8 less ropes to tie.
If you use a 5 foot aider it only takes 4 WE steps to get 20 feet. But I know alot of guys don't like aiders.

I love using wild edge steps especially with my magnetic holster which makes them too easy to store and carry. Once you get everything down pat with them they are cake to use. However if I want a quick set up like under 5 mins I prefer to 1 stick or use a lone wolf hand climber. Lone wolf hand climber only gets used if I know what tree I'm going to

I only have 5 WE stepps. I tried to use 3 of them with the 5 step aider. I couldnt make it feel tight enough for me to be comfortable. I have confidence in using them as they are intended. Just as steps...but 5 isnt enough to get me to hunting height without aiders. I have 3 cut down 24" sticks with 1 step aider that get me to hunting height. My sticks weigh 7 lbs. the 5 WE steps and bag is 5 lbs. Still hate the bulk of the sticks and lack of packability. But i just decided to carry them in my hand on the walk to the stand. Sticks are dummy proof for me and i got sick of trying new methods that wouldnt feel as comfortable/safe for me. I decided to start focusing on streamlining my entire system instead. Practicing the climb and setup rather than fiddling around with climbing methods every day.

I've only ever used XOP sticks so my views may be skewed. Towards the end of the last season I switched from sticks to WE steps + 5 step aider. I really love the weight reduction and packability but getting down in the dark is precarious! This season I'll be using either WE steps or one-stick method and will be rappelling down.

If I had to absolutely choose between (multiple) sticks and WE steps, I'll be going with the steps.

I have both the WE Stepps and the Stacked Outdoors sticks. The sticks allow me to climb faster but I hate carrying extra sticks up off of my saddle compared to the WE steps in their carry bag. Both are quite sturdy and easy to use. The learning curve on the WE Stepps was a bit more but once you get the technique down, they are actually very nice. The Stacked Outdoors sticks are simple and straightforward. I have yet to try aiders with either but I am gearing up to do so. I plan on one sticking with my Stacked Outdoors sticks this weekend and a 5 or 6 step aider. If it seems safe to me climbing up and down, and relatively noise free, I may be doing that this year just for the weight savings and simplicity. After the initial investment, its great to have options available to you. And all of this equipment is made high level so you will have these options for years to come after the first purchase.

Not to make things more complicated but I went from sticks to wild edge stepps and now to bullman silent approach steps. Thing is I am not getting rid of any of them. They are all in the arsenal. I keep the sticks for those few spots that are close to the road and easy to pack in cuz setting up sticks are the fastest for sure. I keep the wild edge steps for presets. They are super solid but I just can not set them up quickly at all so I only use as presets when time is not an issue. Bullman silent approach steps (and likely soon squirrel steps as i Can afford them) are my go to for run and gun. If a spot is more than a mile from parking I absolutely take those cuz they are so light and I can set them up much quicker than the wild edge stepps. Hope that helps. Good luck!

I hated packing full length sticks deep in some public, granted I've learned a ton from some sharp people on here, but I learned that I don't like packing sticks. I quickly went to rope modded primals (started with them as platform too). I think I'm going to experiment with some Cranfords as well.

I HEAVILY prefer sticks.
WE steps are a bit more ergonomic, but it takes more weight for me to get to equal height with them. They also take longer, because I have to attach more of them than I do sticks. I also haven’t found an aider system I feel comfortable with with full gear, in the rain, fatigued from the hike/kayak in...

I know they are a rock solid step when attached, but personally I will probably be selling the ones I have in the next year or two.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

I have used both for decades, sticks hands down, not even close for me personally. reasons, sticks are way easier to set up in total darkness and just safer IMO. I like a CAYG aider but I've had way too many mishaps with multiple step aiders. To date my CAYG I have not had a kick out. And 3 modified sticks are not a problem if one learns how to attach them properly to a backpack.

Back