• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Today's visit with the Man in Green

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
Had an interesting morning this morning. My daughter and I postponed our annual Thanksgiving morning hunt yesterday due to the forecast of horizontal rain. Well that rain turned to snow yesterday afternoon so we decided to go this morning instead. With the promise of a fresh white coating of snow I headed out in the wee hours to pick up my daughter and make the 2 hour drive to our favorite hunting area.

We made it down in plenty of time and started into the woods after donning our headlamps. The spot we were headed to is a thick, narrow spot in a valley that the deer like to cross at and I was hoping to put my daughter on a buck there. As we made our way down into the valley we came across a set of human footprints in the snow. No problem though, they were obviously from the evening before as they were almost completely obscured by the snow that had fallen overnight. I stopped on the tracks and scanned my dim red light left and right along the path trying to determine where the hunter may have set up the previous night. It was then that I noticed a small white pile amid some disturbed leaves right at the limit of my head lamp’s range. I whispered my first thought “Looks like someone shot a yote last night”. We walked over to investigate. Unfortunately the figure wasn’t a yote but rather a very small fork horn buck. It was completely encircled by the tracks we had seen before they headed away and back down the valley from where they’d originated.

Now this area in Michigan is an antler point restricted area which means that any buck shot must have at least 3 points on a side. It appeared to me that some “hunter” either failed to properly identify his target or thought he was shooting at a doe. Once he discovered his mistake he abandoned the deer and left it to rot and now, mine and my daughter’s tracks lead right to/from it. :mad:

To say I was PO’d would be a serious understatement. We continued on and I got her all set up then I moved on a couple hundred yards and climbed a tree. As I sat there I was still stewing and I made the decision to report the deer to the state’s RAP line so, after 48 years of hunting, I made only my second call to the DNR regarding an observed violation. They replied to my text almost immediately and after some preliminary questions they put me in touch with the local CO. I explained the situation and gave the GPS coordinates for the carcass. He told me he’d look into it but he’d probably just end up leaving it where it lay once all was said and done since there wasn’t a lot he could do about it.

Well, we sat until around 10:30 when the 20deg temps and 10-15mph winds finally got to be too much for my daughter. I rappelled down and picked her up on the way out. As we approached where the deer laid I was going to stop and take a picture of it but it was gone, dragged out. At that point I wasn’t sure if the shooter had come back to reclaim it or if the CO had been there. We crested the hill out of the valley and there stood the CO about 50 yds ahead taking a breather from the drag. We walked up and engaged him in conversation. He said he was surprised how fresh the kill was and that he was going to take it down to a camp down the road to interview the guys hunting there.

After I helped him drag it the rest of the way out and load it into his truck we stood and talked hunting for quite a while. He noticed my saddle and asked about saddle hunting with a lot of detailed questions. He mentioned he’s seriously considering it after having several tree stands stolen himself this year. I was surprised to hear that but, I guess . . . you'd never that the CO’s stands are just as susceptible to theft as the regular hunters out there.

All in all it was a very positive experience. The entire interaction was polite and friendly. I was actually impressed to see the expediency with which the situation was handled. I have no idea what might have happened with his investigation but I am happy at least to know it was being followed up on.

I’ve never had a bad experience with a game warden in my 46 years of hunting although one had a bad experience with me, lol.

The only really negative experience I’ve ever had was, ironically, with a Kestrel I found (the bird, not the saddle). It had been shot and plenty alive. I pulled over and got his scrappy little butt in a seed sack and called a lady I knew that worked with DNR. She gave me the name and location of the local rehabilitator so I took the bird to her. She immediately started bad mouthing hunters (it had been shot) and interrogating me as if I was the one that had done it.

After repeatedly trying to reason with and explain to her that I had nothing to do with shooting it I finally told her that if she insisted on crucifying me for trying to help the bird that I would get my moneys worth out of it by stomping that little bastard to smithereens. She finally calmed down and took the bird and I drove off vowing to never again go out of my way to help a raptor, lol.

Last edited:
I've never really had a bad experience with a warden but I had one that could have been. I had to cross a river to get to where I was going. I was all set up about a mile from where I parked and this guy came walking through the woods with binoculars looking in the trees. I waved and he walked over to me. He said send down your pack then climb down. I sent the pack down and started to climb down but then he told me to stay in the tree. He then told me that last shooting light was at 5:15 and I better not have an arrow in my bow after that. He totally ruined my hunt When I got to my river crossing a spotlight hit me and it was him checking to make sure I didn't have a arrow on my string. We talked for quite a while and he told me a lot of stories I finally told him I thought he was an azzhole the way he treated me at first. He told me that a lot of people he runs into are not like me. He said he told me to stay in the tree because he saw the way I climbed the tree and he knew I was legal {2X4 blocks tied to the tree}.That was 41 years ago since then he was commissioner and retired.

Same. I’ve only ever had to call the game wardens a few times in my life, a couple times back home in AK where they take an extremely narrow view on wildlife shenanigans and once here in VA where a hunter keeps capping and strapping bucks and leaving them alongside the road. Every encounter was positive.

I hope they were able to donate the meat to a a needy family! I know mistakes are made and deer are misidentified, but people need to man up, taking responsibility for their actions. Maybe you converted the CO to a SaddleHunter!

I hope they were able to donate the meat to a a needy family! I know mistakes are made and deer are misidentified, but people need to man up, taking responsibility for their actions. Maybe you converted the CO to a SaddleHunter!
The CO did let on that he really doesn't like pursuing charges in a misidentified deer case because there isn't a separate charge for APR violations here in Michigan. It falls completely under the poaching violation. The penalty is $2000 and 3 years loss of hunting privileges. Pretty extreme for something that could have been a mistake. That's something I was completely unaware of.

He told me that a lot of people he runs into are not like me. He said he told me to stay in the tree because he saw the way I climbed the tree and he knew I was legal {2X4 blocks tied to the tree}.That was 41 years ago since then he was commissioner and retired.

I've been a long- time volunteer bow, gun and trapping instructor for our HEP program. I remember back in the day when the old 2x4 blocks tied to the tree were illustrated in the bowhunting course manual as a way to climb a tree without damaging it. Its funny how much has changed. In teaching my courses, we interact with "ECO's" (Environmental Conservation Officers) a lot. In my experience, they are great people just trying to do their jobs. My cousin's husband was a regional captain and he said most hunters do a good job of following the rules but there are some dangerous people out there who push the limit. In our courses, the biggest ECO topic is trespassing and shooting before and after legal shooting light. Statistically in our state, hunting safety has increased incredibly over the years. Back in the 1960's there were over 160 incidents now typically less than 20 and fortunately over the last few years, few and or zero fatalities related to HRSI (Hunting Related Shooting Incidents). Statistically, the biggest safety issue recently has been tree stand related injuries and deaths. They are tracking that now too like shooting incidents. If you read the descriptions surrounding each incident, most people are not using a harness (or any kind of) fall restraint device or system like a saddle. Also, people are still pulling loaded firearms up to their tree to them. I think last year or the year before, a guy was found at the base of his tree stand from a gunshot to his gut. He pulled the gun with the rope in the trigger housig with it loaded or something like that. This is where I believe saddle hunting will really begin to shine in a few more years. I asked our regional Sportsman's Ed Coordinator if the State was doing anything with saddles as far as our curriculum and if they needed assistance to let me know. She said they haven't yet but she did buy her husband a saddle for Christmas last year so its certainly gaining traction at that level.

The CO did let on that he really doesn't like pursuing charges in a misidentified deer case because there isn't a separate charge for APR violations here in Michigan. It falls completely under the poaching violation. The penalty is $2000 and 3 years loss of hunting privileges. Pretty extreme for something that could have been a mistake. That's something I was completely unaware of.
I’m assuming then that if your honest with no prior offense’s that they would issue you a good “lecture” and not give a citation?

A rule they started a couple seasons ago here is a buck with antlers under 5 inches can be considered a doe....I don't know if they started that because of situations like this or not but it does help us as hunters not have mistakes like this....I've almost shot at deer that would have turned out to be not legal.

So...if u do kill an illegal deer what is the right course of action? Check it in/tag it, call the man/take to the check station and hope for the best I guess...maybe ur honesty will help u not loose ur hunting licence?

The first sit of this season I had a buck under me at 15yds but I let him walk because how the heck am I supposed to be 100% sure if that brow tine is 1" or not...I wanted more than anything to shoot but my eye isn't good enough to see the difference between 3/4 and 1" while up in a tree on a moving animal that's in thick woods

My only ever interaction before I was an instructor was when I was a teenager hunting puddle ducks down the road from my parents' home about a quarter mile. There were flooded out creeks from beavers and I could head down after school and set up with a handful of decoys and grab some woodies and mallards. I think teal or goldeneye's too if I remember. Anyway, I didn't get a shot that night and headed back to my house. Just as I turned into my driveway, the lights came on in back of me. It was our local ECO at the time. Nice guy but everyone always said. "He'd arrest his own mother" ...... if she made a game law violation. Anyway, he checked me all out, made sure I had a plug in my pump gun magazine, tested my shells with a magnet, made sure I had a duck stamp, my small game license was signed across the license stamp... he was "fine toothing me" for sure. Everything checked and he said, "good job. stay safe out there." Then he asked if I have had any luck and I said not yet.... which was true.

Now they also have "Wanton Waste" laws and most all of the states are under the "10 States" or maybe it's now "30 States" program where a game law violation in your state automatically bans you from hunting other states who practice reciprocity with any other state in which you have been convicted of GLV's.

A rule they started a couple seasons ago here is a buck with antlers under 5 inches can be considered a doe....I don't know if they started that because of situations like this or not but it does help us as hunters not have mistakes like this....I've almost shot at deer that would have turned out to be not legal.

So...if u do kill an illegal deer what is the right course of action? Check it in/tag it, call the man/take to the check station and hope for the best I guess...maybe ur honesty will help u not loose ur hunting licence?
I am not an ECO so in the end, this is just based on my personal judgement and the assessment of the demeanor of most of the ECO's I have worked with. Short answer, Yes, honesty is your best policy. Depending on the circumstances and the officer involved, they may or may not write you up a ticket but most certainly will require you to tag it and that tag is (and probably should be) gone for that season. If they do end up citing you and it is your first glv, you plead as you deem appropriate to a local judge and most of what I've seen for cases like this are a six month conditional discharge so as long as you don't violate again in six months or a year, your charge will be discharged like it didn't happen. Most ECO's just want you to follow the rules and be safe and not waste game or tresspassing on people's property making them call the office and start an investigation. They want to get the bad guys not the ones who make honest mistakes sometimes.

Quite a few years ago, my friend came over to our place to hunt. He brought his son and his son’s buddy. He shot a doe, watched it run about 70 yards and drop. He wanted to show the boys how to track so the gathered at the impact spot and started his lesson. When they got to the doe, one of the boys asked why it had “noodles”?! He immediately realized it was a 2” spike and not legal. He did the right thing and called the CO. When the CO arrived and realized it was a mistake and a great teaching moment he had my buddy fill out a buck tag and the deer was donated to Hunters for the Hungry. No charges or points, but my buddy became much better at identifying deer before the shot.

We had a terrible case just a few years ago where a woman was walking her dog in a field and she was fatality shot approximately 24 minutes after legal shooting. The hunter went to help her once he heard her screaming and wrything in pain (I believe she was shot with a handgun chambered in a bottleneck round but I cannot remember the caliber, It was like a 200 yard shot) Anyway, he honestly thought she was a deer and it went to court and I can't remember if he actually was convicted of manslaughter or not but I know it was bad for everyone involved including the hunter. You can't take that bullet back once you pull the the trigger. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at all this, the "justice" system is so geared toward criminal acts that sometimes the plain and simple truth of all this is that this guy killed this woman unnecessarily. He didn't mean to do it but I can't imagine what she went through in her last minutes of life and I can't image living with doing that to someone the rest of my life. Sad all the way around. The simple truth is, if he would have followed the law, this would not have happened.

Opening morning of the moose hunt this year, my hunt camp dropped a calf a bit before noon about 10 km way back in the bush. Notched the tag, field dressed it and got my ATV through some gnarly terrain for the recovery and dragged it out a long ways on old logging trails. Part way back one of our guys meets up with us with a couple of beers each to celebrate. He always offers to go back and get the celebratory brews....his way of avoiding the hard work of dressing and hauling out a moose out of the back country. If you've ever dropped a moose you know why they say "the real work starts when the moose hits the ground". Even a calf is huge compared to a deer. Anyway....we finished our beers and completed the haul out to the boat landing.

I had my ATV parked sideways down near the boats and was unlashing the calf from the back rack. Looked up and saw a boat with two guys in it heading towards the landing. When they got to 20' I could see the vests and badges. COs!

They said they were way around the other side of the lake and had run into another camp, who said they had heard shots that morning and roughly where they came from. So they were cruising all around the lake looking for whomever had fired the shots, to check them out. Probably a few miles by a circuitous route from where they ran into the other camp to where we park our boats, so they had been looking for quite some time before finding us.

They were polite and congratulated us on our successful hunt. Even before they could ask for the paperwork, I looked over my shoulder and saw my kid coming down the hill from where we park the machines...so I yelled up at him to pull out the tag and licenses, since it was his calf tag. Up here, tags are now self-printed, so you don't have to attach it to the carcass, 'cause it wouldn't survive the drag out, but the tag has to be with the animal. They checked the papers and all was good. One officer then asked if he could check my gun, which was on a gun rack on the front of my buggy. I said to go for it. It was unloaded of course. He pulled the gun out and racked the lever to make sure it was safe/legal...then asked me what kind of gun it was as he was turning it this way and that, admiring it. It's a Marlin 1895 SBL lever action in 45-70, stainless with a grey laminated stock and so a very pretty gun. He'ld never seen one before. I'm pretty sure he asked to check it just so he could get his hands on it to get a closer look.

He said that the ministry wasn't issuing successful moose hunter crests/patches this year, but thought he had some 2020 ones and asked if we were interested. Heck yeah! But he didn't have any in his bag. So he asked one of the guys in our camp if he was local, and gave him his biz card saying that we should drop by and pick up some patches at the office. Cool! Reminds me I have to reach out to see if we've gotten the patches yet...

All in all, a very enjoyable encounter. The officers were a pleasure to chat with and were genuine in their congratulations on our getting a moose this year. I still laugh about the one CO wanting to fondle my gun! But glad they didn't find the beer empties, though I don't think they would have minded a couple of brews each as a celeration in the bush. LOL

A lot better than last year! I had to leave camp after a few days because of a health issue, but our gang was stopped by two COs on ATVs way back in the bush, one of which was the same as this year. No moose to check, as we weren't successful last year, but they checked all the licenses/tags, guns and issued tickets for two of our guys who didn't have helmets with them. In past years (I've been hunting moose with this camp for over 3 decades) we never wore helmets back in the bush....just for the long drive in from where we park our trucks. Now we wear them all the time! :astonished:

Never a problem dealing with COs if you don't cop an attitude....and if you're 100 legal. :tearsofjoy:

Back